PDA

View Full Version : shoulder separation

andre
11-09-2005, 06:11 AM
four months ago I sustained a grade three shoulder separation and was advised against having surgery. I am an avid weight lifter though and am worried that I will never really be able to bench press again. Does any body have any experience and/or advice they could give me. I have been sticking with the physical therapy religiously and can't help but wonder if I got the surgery i would be stronger since my clavicle would be much more stable.

plucs
23-11-2005, 09:05 AM
The advice to not have a shoulder surgery is standard procedure.

I also had a grade 3 dislocation of my ac joint and initially had a lot of difficulty bench pressing though after 1 year I was able to bench to something like my best before my dislocation.

I also stuck religiously to my PT which did help in some respects. It gave me back some stability in my joint. I felt that my pain levels were reduced. It also gave me some hope that I could push through the injury.

In these respects were are in much of the same situation at 4 months. However, I have now progressed to 2 years.

My experience from 4 months onward with continued heavy weight training and contact sport was an increase in day to day pain until I had chronic pain. You will have pain all the time of varying degrees dependent on the type of painkiller you are taking. I have no doubt that by continuing heavy weight training after a grade 3 AC joint dislocation was the cause for chronic pain.

Subsequently I have had an outer clavicle excision and modified weaver dunn shoulder reconstruction but I do not believe I would have gone down that path without weight training. If weight training is something you would not give up I can only see the same path for you and I hope that your operation works out brilliantly for you.

Good Luck

four months ago I sustained a grade three shoulder separation and was advised against having surgery. I am an avid weight lifter though and am worried that I will never really be able to bench press again. Does any body have any experience and/or advice they could give me. I have been sticking with the physical therapy religiously and can't help but wonder if I got the surgery i would be stronger since my clavicle would be much more stable.