PDA

View Full Version : shoulder injury

chick
14-09-2005, 11:28 AM
I've just been diagnosed with a full thickness tear of the right anterior supraspinatus with evidence of a secondary bursal impingment. The guy who did the ultrasound suggested either a steriod injection (although he wasn't completely sure of this) or surgery. My GP suggested a course of anti-inflammatories (Meloxicam) in the morning and Panadol (for pain) in the evening with some physio & see what happens. Obviously this injury is fairly restrictive,...any advice please

Unregistered
14-11-2005, 08:35 PM
I've just been diagnosed with a full thickness tear of the right anterior supraspinatus with evidence of a secondary bursal impingment. The guy who did the ultrasound suggested either a steriod injection (although he wasn't completely sure of this) or surgery. My GP suggested a course of anti-inflammatories (Meloxicam) in the morning and Panadol (for pain) in the evening with some physio & see what happens. Obviously this injury is fairly restrictive,...any advice please
Hi i was diagnosed with a of the Supraspinatus in august and have tried physio ,pain relief ,Steriod cortisone injections.Which i have felt quite unwell since and none of them have workrd the only way to fix it is surgery which i am now going to try.It has gone worse trying all the other options first so dont bother Good luck

jellybean
16-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi Chick

I received a full thickness tear to the supraspinatus tendon (left shoulder, anterior part of insertion into humerus) as the result of a skiing accident last year. I also initially had a problem with a secondary impingement but that settled with good physio. Unfortunately I later developed a secondary capsulitus (frozen shoulder) which has given me some grief (understatement) and required ongoing treatment and rehab.

The second sports physician I saw correctly diagnosed the problem and gave me the right advice. At that point the main focus was treating the frozen shoulder. He was quite conservative with regard to the tear (which I appreciated, I am no longer an athlete) and advised that it will not require surgical repair unless it gets any larger, although there is probably a good chance of that given some of my recreational pursuits (cycling, skiing).

My recommendation is to find the best possible shoulder people (sports physician, surgeon) in your city and get their advice about the best way to treat your injury. Every injury is different (the size of your tear would be a big determinant of the need for surgery) and different people can respond differently to the same treatment. (I'd add to that - if you need further x-rays, ultrasounds, MRI's find out the best radiologist and see them - the quality of the reports / advice will be dependent on the quality of the radiologist. Some are better than others).

If you are based in Sydney see my recent post under the "complete tear of supraspinatus" thread. I highly recommend all of the medicos listed and, if you require surgery, Seamus would point you in the right direction. There are several excellent shoulder surgeons in Sydney.

Good luck!!

jellybean
17-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Oops, Chick, forgot to say...

In terms of meds - I took anti-inflamms for my shoulder almost from Day 1 (Voltaren initially but that gave me some stomach problems so I changed to Mobic - found that good - didn't stop the pain but took the edge off a little). Was also given a script for Panadeine Forte but didn't use it - when my shoulder was really bad I took the odd Mersyndol (similar ingredients to PF but also has a muscle relaxant which was good for me because I was getting alot of upper back muscle spasm). At four months when I was entirely sick of the increasing pain and lack of sleep I got a cortisone shot and that seemed to help enormously for about 4 weeks. [Word of advice: If you need a cortisone shot ask about getting an ultrasound guided injection - where ultrasound images are used to ensure that the injection is made in exactly the right spot - I'd heard about shots failing purely because they'd injected the wrong spot and was pleased when the doc I was seeing suggested it (plenty will offer to "drop a shot in your shoulder" in their office without any such guidance). It costs more but it was worth it. Another word of advice: if you want to sleep, don't get a shot late afternoon, I'm not sure what's in it but I was still "wired" at 2am the next morning!]

In the first couple of months I also had bursitis and found that acupuncture (including cupping) seemed to get rid of that (Mike Popplewell - Wenthworth Clinic, North Manly).

Another two cents worth. 'Hope it's helpful.