PDA

View Full Version : full thickness tear supraspinatous tendon

Mem
19-10-2005, 11:22 AM
I've recently undergone ultrasound which shows I have a full thickness tear involving the supraspinatous tendon in right shoulder.
I'm only 35 and am perplexed how I could have done this!
The pain came on 12 days ago with aching in the shoulder; deltoid and prickling sensations involving my entire forearm. One of the most distressing sypmtoms is that my right hand becomes very cold whenever I hyperextend - as with typing.To me this suggests nerve involvement however my research so far on supraspinatous tears doesn't mention possibilty of nerve involvement/entrapment etc.

I'm off for a surgical consult in two weeks. Can anyone offer me any advice having suffered (suffering) similar symptoms / diagnosis?
Much appreciated.

Mem.

injuryupdate
19-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Unusual to get full thickness tear at your age without trauma and also hard to explain cold symptoms in hand, which sounds more like a thoracic outlet syndrome.

Get someone to check your US and maybe even order an MRI. However, if it turns out that you really do have a full tear then at 35 you may need surgery.

Mem
19-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Unusual to get full thickness tear at your age without trauma and also hard to explain cold symptoms in hand, which sounds more like a thoracic outlet syndrome.

Get someone to check your US and maybe even order an MRI. However, if it turns out that you really do have a full tear then at 35 you may need surgery.

Thankyou for your reply. Yes I will see a surgeon who will look at the
films in two weeks so hopefully some clarification then. I had also mentioned to my GP and sonographer that my mother was 2 years ago diagnosed with an aggressive chordoma on her C3 which was resected. She is 66. My cervical CT is clear and from what I understand chordoma is not hereditary.
I understand your thoughts about thoracic outlet syndrome however the ultrasound and report seem quite unambiguous..."supraspinatous examination demonstrates a focal linear hypoechogenicity within the mid region of the tendon implying localised (supra)tear .. full thickness .. ill defined material within the adjacent sub-acromial bursa and bursa is mildy distended".

If you have any further thoughts your input would be much appreciated.

Mem

injuryupdate
19-10-2005, 06:33 PM
May not need surgery from that report, but get an opinion.