PDA

View Full Version : AC joint tear question

thomo
09-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi all, just a quick question

Back in june I had a complete tear of my A/C joint from playing Aust rules football.

Had the shoulder in a sling for 6 weeks, and my shoulder is fine now for everyday life, ie lifting etc. Only every now and then it gets a little sore.

I have complete movement in the shoulder, and my Dr said I should be right to play again next march or so.

However I was wondering with the complete tear of the AC if this is correct, or I should have it reattached??

I play for a bit of cash, and the money comes in handy, but I would like to be able to play with my kids when the day comes around.

Thanks.

plucs
13-12-2005, 10:32 AM
You should check out the discussions that have been going about AC joint tears from this URL, http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

You won't be able to get the AC joint reattached as the original ligaments are ruptured. Instead the surgery will be used to place the ac joint back into alignment and further to prevent the joint redislocating. A complete tear sounds like a grade 3 ac joint dislocation. Look at this link to get yourself up to speed with your injury,
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2001/11_01/johnson.htm.

My advice would be to unquestionably get the ac joint fixed but that's from my experience. You have a number of factors to consider. You have already been in a sling for 6 weeks, with an operation you are looking at another 6 weeks 24 hours a day. The medical expenses are considerable, you are looking at around $5000 with the surgeons work whom you choose and the consultations to find the best surgeon for you (~$2200), assistant surgeon (~$500), hospital stay for 2 days (~$160 if you have private health cover), anaethetist ($500), physio (~$250), general practitioners (~$250), painkillers and other medical expenses like gauze, bandaids (~$250). You will miss 2 weeks of work minimum so that's two weeks of income. You also want to return to aussie rules by March. If you have the operation you will need to take off at least 3 months, a surgeon will recommend 5 motnhs. Aussie rules has a high prevalence of shoulder injuries so I don't think you would want to return early and risk the repair. This would then require an autograft from your hamstring which would mean both your shoulder and leg will be impaired for another significant period of time.

Hi all, just a quick question

Back in june I had a complete tear of my A/C joint from playing Aust rules football.

Had the shoulder in a sling for 6 weeks, and my shoulder is fine now for everyday life, ie lifting etc. Only every now and then it gets a little sore.

I have complete movement in the shoulder, and my Dr said I should be right to play again next march or so.

However I was wondering with the complete tear of the AC if this is correct, or I should have it reattached??

I play for a bit of cash, and the money comes in handy, but I would like to be able to play with my kids when the day comes around.

Thanks.

spacey
25-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Hello,

I had a Grade 3 separation of my AC joint in May when I landed on my shoulder after a fall. It still hurts a little bit when I do weights, but then again, I'm not doing any overhead weights or free weights. Also, the bump looks gross, especially when I wear a singlet and you see two very different looking shoulders.

Anyway I'm getting a reconstruction in October. It's a modified Weaver Dunn technique by supposedly the best guy in Australia. This will involve removing the end of the clavicle (collar bone) and stitching it down so it doesn't stick up (removing the bump). Because I'm so pissed off this has happened, i'm even getting the scar removed with laser surgery the day after the op (vain i know, but i see this is a deformity that's not supposed to be there and I mean it's not like I'm getting a nose job for the hell of it).

There's a good description of the modified Weaver Dunn technique at www.shoulderdoc.co.uk which has animations and graphics on what the procedure does.

Others have reported good things with this technique. The success rate for this procedure is around the 95% mark. Yes, it's costly and yes it'll involve rehab, but I'm prepared to wear it for the long-term benefits.

Matt

Unregister
25-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi Matt,

Good luck with the shoulder reconstruction. I agree with your reason and I believe you are doing the right thing.

I don't think you have thought about the laser scar revision very well.

I'd reschedule your visit to get laser scar revision the day after surgery for a number of reasons:
* I don't know how much good laser scar revision is on a fresh wound.
* You will be in way too much pain after surgery to be able to visit the clinic the next day.
* You probably will have nausea from the morphine so you better bring a bucket.
* There is a good chance your wound will reopen in the weeks following surgery causing a wider scar.

Having seen a plastic surgeon for scar revision I don't believe that laser scar revision will do anything. The plastic surgeon told me he could ONLY reduce the wideness of the scarring where the wound split open. Nothing can be done about the rest of the scar.

mmurry@sisna.com
02-08-2006, 01:17 PM
just my two cents guys but i had a horrible dirt bike accident and my clavical was a good 4 inches away from where it was supposed to be... (face planted in the sand at 70mph) clavicle was actually trying to poke out of the back of my neck... anyway doc say gotta fix it hell the bone isnt even living near its old neighborhood anymore...
guy reconstructed the ligament using suture... told me the suture would "tow a jeep" no way to hurt it... anyway 9weeks out of surgery i am feeling good... and i wake up one day and my clavicle is pointing up again...
went to see the doc and he says the sutur failed... i didnt do anything to cause it (knowingly) didnt feeling anytihing... now i gotta go back in and start over again...
suck big time... frustrated... just thought you might want to know it isnt all peaches and cream...
mike murry from utah in the us... mmurry@sisna.com

feel free to email me if you have any insight that might help... just met with the doc today and its going to be a few week before he can cut on me again