View Full Version : Need Advice on Shoulder Specialist

11-12-2005, 10:15 AM

5 weeks ago I dislocated my right shoulder in a back yard "Slip and Slide" mishap, it is the second time in 8 years i have dislocated this shoulder (1st time was Barefoot water skiing). It took the doctors at the hospital 1 hour to get my shoulder back in. It wasn't fun.

Since then I started Physio, and had an MRI (on the Phyio's advise), after recieving the MRI results the Physio had stopped any treatment and advised me to consult a specialist. My doctor suggested the same thing.

My problem now is WHAT DO I DO???

The next available appiontment to see a highly regarded specialist in Brisbane is late Feburary, I dont know to wait till then or see someone else (possibly less regarded). Is this too long to wait? I am 27 and lead a very active life (Off road motorbikes, jetski's, Touch footy and Golf)

I am not in any pain, but it does hurt if I stretch to far and I have no strength in my shoulder.

The Conclusion of the MRI is as follows:
Hill-Sach lesion with bone contusion, Partial thickness partial width tear of the Supraspinatus tendon. No laboral injury is evident.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading


14-12-2005, 09:18 PM
2 dislocations in 8 years- probably not happening often enough to recommend surgery to "tighten" the shoulder- I would work on strengthening under your physio's guidance until you see the specialist, & I would expect the strength to return. Surgery would be considered then if you are troubled by pain or wish to lessen the chance of a further dislocation. Also get you physio to check the axillary nerve function.