PDA

View Full Version : Reinjured Level 3 AC Shoulder Separation



glee46
24-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Injured shoulder on Oct 2 2005. Level 3 AC Shoulder Separation.
Surgery ? Nov 16th, 2005 - Bone tied back in place.
Dec 9th, 2005 woke up with severe pain in shoulder. The bone had popped back up about inch.. I contacted my doctor and was not allowed to talk with my doctor, however I was told to wait until my appointment on Dec 29th. I continue calling for almost 2 weeks until my doctor called yesterday. He informed me he was sorry that the message did not get to him and that now there was not much he could do.. He does not think more surgery will do me any good. I?ve been in a lot of pain for almost 3 months since this accident? I don?t feel this doctor is being upfront with me about what can be done and I?m getting blown off? Any ideas of what I can do? The is a USA VA Hospital where I go because I?m a veteran and I get my medical..

injuryupdate
24-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately grade 3 A/C joint surgery to repair the damaged ligaments does not have fantastic success rates, and your case is a good illustration why. The good news is that the A/C joint is not a major joint and generally the pain will settle down irrespective of whether you have had surgery or not. A cortisone injection may be a good option in the new year. It tends to slow healing and increase the chance that the repair will break down (your already has by the sound of it) but it is great for decreasing pain.

glee46
27-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately grade 3 A/C joint surgery to repair the damaged ligaments does not have fantastic success rates, and your case is a good illustration why. The good news is that the A/C joint is not a major joint and generally the pain will settle down irrespective of whether you have had surgery or not. A cortisone injection may be a good option in the new year. It tends to slow healing and increase the chance that the repair will break down (your already has by the sound of it) but it is great for decreasing pain.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's been 6 weeks and I was susprised by how much pain that I was still in after the surgery at 4 weeks, even before the bone popped back out of place, I was still in a lot of pain. So asking the doctor to do surgury again this time putting in a screw instead of tying it down would not be a good idea? And, thats if I could get them to do it.. I'm pretty burned out on taking these Vicodin and they never have to seem to have worked.. Is there anything else I can ask my doctor to give me for this pain in case he does not go for the cortisone injection?