PDA

View Full Version : Torn pec major

drew
26-04-2004, 11:43 AM
I am a rugby player and recently tore my pectoralis major in a match. If there is anyone who has had a siimilar injury could youmplease give me some input. Should i go with surgery, no surgery, how long was it before you could play again, how much strength did you lose. anything that you could tell me. Rugby is my life and I am really worried about how long it is going to be before i am able to play again. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

CHeers,

Drew

injuryupdate
26-04-2004, 12:02 PM
The decision on whether to have surgery is based on desire for full functional recovery and how much tendon is ruptured. If you are a rugby player and have a complete tear of the tendon very close to the bone (i.e. near the shoulder) then surgery may be the best option.

If the tear is more the outer part of the muscle (closer to the chest) then it may heal itself without surgery.

There are some diagrams at:
http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/injuries/shoulder/pectoralis_tendon_tears.php?menu=injury_details&menu2=shoulder

The picture included is a player who had a musculo-tendinous junction tear and did NOT have surgery but returned to full function. He was left with the divot you can see in the photo on this page.

Jason
04-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Well, not sure if this will help you any but I am going for surgery tomorrow on my pec. I tore the tendons in my pec over 5 weeks ago at the gym doing bench press and when I had gone to the hospital they sent me home in a sling and told me they weren't sure as to what I had done but it was highly unlikely that I had a full tear on my pectoralis major.

Up until 2 weeks ago when I had enough of the pain and severe deformation of my pec I went and saw a Orthopedic surgeon who then said I need surgery as that I had a full tear. I was told if I didn't have it done I would have 60% strength back in it and that the pain and bruising will keep occuring when I hurt it and believe me it doesn't take much.

Hopefully that helps,
Jason

I am a rugby player and recently tore my pectoralis major in a match. If there is anyone who has had a siimilar injury could youmplease give me some input. Should i go with surgery, no surgery, how long was it before you could play again, how much strength did you lose. anything that you could tell me. Rugby is my life and I am really worried about how long it is going to be before i am able to play again. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

CHeers,

Drew