PDA

View Full Version : Results of my Shoulder MRI ??

rowdy
28-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Ok the results of my shoulder MRI say this
No Labral tear seen
Supraspinatus insertional tendinopathy and partial thickness tearing with articular surface extension.
There appear to be only a few intact bursal surface fibres remaining.
Mild AC joint arthropathy.
Subacromial-subdeltoid bursal thickening...

NOW.... I have very little pain...but a bit of lack of strength

I have been told because i am only 34 i have to have surgery...even though the cost and the time off work is pretty much impossible for me...
Please are there altenatives...??

I did this injury diving as a hockey goalie...If I repair this...Can i play again...or is it the end of my sporting pursuits ???

I am just puzzled at this result because i have so much movement and so little pain...
ADVICE greatly appreciated:eek:

Unregistered
28-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Dear Rowdy,
34 is very young to have a cuff tear. Surgery is generally recommended if you are younger,if it is your dominant arm and if you do heavy work or sport. A tear of over 50% thickness usually requires surgery if symptomatic. Over time significant partial thickness tears usually progress to full tears which progress to become larger. You will then note more significant weakness. If you need a lot of time off work I presume you do some manual work, in which case you are more likely to worsen over time without surgery. In the longer term you risk arthritis (or "cuff tear arthropathy") though no-one is sure how likely this is. The younger you are when you have the tear and the more you load the shoulder the more likely you are to develop this. Suggest a second opinion with a shoulder surgeon or sports physician

Ok the results of my shoulder MRI say this
No Labral tear seen
Supraspinatus insertional tendinopathy and partial thickness tearing with articular surface extension.
There appear to be only a few intact bursal surface fibres remaining.
Mild AC joint arthropathy.
Subacromial-subdeltoid bursal thickening...

NOW.... I have very little pain...but a bit of lack of strength

I have been told because i am only 34 i have to have surgery...even though the cost and the time off work is pretty much impossible for me...
Please are there altenatives...??

I did this injury diving as a hockey goalie...If I repair this...Can i play again...or is it the end of my sporting pursuits ???

I am just puzzled at this result because i have so much movement and so little pain...
ADVICE greatly appreciated:eek: