PDA

View Full Version : Having shoulder surgery

sillyshoulder84
04-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi all, I have had two arthroscoptic shoulder operations as I have multiindirectional instability (they just dislocate themselves on a daily basis). This time around I may be having an open reconstruction. My question is a) will I need to spend more time in hosp? b) are the scars worse? c) is the recovery time longer than a arthroscoptic procedure?

All these q's I will ask my surgeon when I next see, would just like to people who have had their own experiences with this.

Thanks

plucs
05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
My question is a) will I need to spend more time in hosp? b) are the scars worse? c) is the recovery time longer than a arthroscoptic procedure?

Thanks

My experience with open shoulder surgery.

a) One night if you are tough. My advice is to get a private room. Spend 2 nights in the hospital and make sure you beat the nausea before you get home.

b) The scars are larger. My scar is 4 inches. It is also wide because it is right over the top of the shoulder joint. My sutures broke leaving a large hole down the bottom of cut. This eventually filled from the bottom up but left an even wider scar. This is pretty common from people I have met who have had shoulder reconstructions so be ready for it. I have seen a plastic surgeon about the wider scar and he said he can do scar revision in day surgery to make it as wide as the top of the scar. The downside is that you need to recover from the cut again. With private health cover the plastic surgeon would charge no gap for scar revision.

c) The sling came off at 6 weeks. The next recovery milestone for me was 3 months when I got back my range of movement and started to gain some strength. I am at 6 months now and for me it is still a long road ahead with many hurdles still to get past.

Unregistered
05-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi plucs

One night? Jeez, when I had arthroscopic I spent two nights so I was thinking for open it would be at least 3!!

Shame about the scars but they don't faze me at all.

Hope all goes well with your shoulder. Who did it?

plucs
05-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi plucs

One night? Jeez, when I had arthroscopic I spent two nights so I was thinking for open it would be at least 3!!

The guy in my room was snoring so loud I had to get out.

Email me offline if you want to know the surgeon's name. plucs@tpg.com.au

Unregistered
13-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Hi plucs

I had arthroscopic two weeks ago -- a few hours total spent in the day surgery portion of the hospital and I was sent home. Slow process getting better, but the bone spurs are gone and frayed lining in the socket has been smoothed out!