PDA

View Full Version : Partial tear of supraspinatus tendon over 20mm and subdeltoid bursitis

el_spood
08-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi all,
I just received the xray/ultrasound results for my left shoulder and they are:
X-Ray: No significant bone or joint abnormality is present.

Ultrasound: Shows a partial tear of the supraspinatus tendon extending over a length of 20mm and involving the lower margin of the tendon near its articular surface. It does not extend through to the bursal surface.

The other rotator cuff tendons all appear to be within normal limits and the tendon of the long head of the biceps is also normally outlined. There is a moderate associated effusion of the subacromial /subdeltoid bursa suggesting there may be a subdeltoid bursitis present as well. No sign of any other signicant abnormalities are demonstrated.

I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon in 4 days time. I am an active 26 year old and I would very much like to make my left shoulder as strong as possible especially w.r.t. weight training and max push-ups etc.

I am dying to hear what the orthopedic surgeon has to say but if anyone has had an inury similar to this or has any experience treating this sort of injury I would very much like to hear it.

Thanks all...

el_spood
21-06-2006, 09:33 AM
A quick update:
I saw an orthopedic surgeon and have the results of an MRI.

Conclusion

Non acute tear of the base of the anteroinferior labrum, extending longitudinally over approximately 1cm.
No Hill-Sach's lesion is indentified.
Intact superior labrum and biceps anchor.
Apparently bifid biceps tendon, with medial dislocation of the medial limb superficial to the distral fibres of the subscapularis tendon. A longitudinal split split tear of the biceps is felt lto be less likely given the absence of evidence of associated tendinosis.
Small to moderate biceps tendon sheath effusion. No associated synovial thickening.
Mild supraspinatus tendinosis, without superimposed tendon tear.
AC joint arthrosis, with irregularity of the subchondal plate of the outer end of the clavicle and moderate subchondal bone marrow oedema, capsular distension and less marked bone marrow oedema at the margins of the acromial articular facet. The findings would raise the possibility of a degree of stress related osteolysis at the outer end of the clavicle.

My surgeon focussed on the torn labrum, the bifid biceps tendon and its associated dislocation. I partially dislocated my shoulder a few years ago and mentioned that it never completely returned to the correct position.

He has said that surgery is an option down the track but we decided I am going to try physiotherapy first. I am seeing a physio today.

Thanks for reading. Any comments/advice from people in the know (whether you have experienced or treated a similar injury) would be very appreciated.

jbickford5671980
10-12-2006, 06:33 AM
I have the same problem I am 26 as well..what ever happened to your shoulder and how is it now?