PDA

View Full Version : Doctor says this is normal. Is he an idiot?

Snowstorm
18-08-2006, 08:15 AM
http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16&stc=1&d=1155852361

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17&stc=1&d=1155852851

He examined it and said it was fine, nothing to worry about.

Looking at that, I'm still worried.

plucs
19-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Get the shoulder x-rayed, you may need them in the future.

I think I know what the palpable step is from. Did you have an accident?

Nicholas
19-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I'd say that your doctor definatly is judging by the pictures you posted of your shoulder. It looks badly injured. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Snowstorm
20-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for replying both of you.

Get the shoulder x-rayed, you may need them in the future.

I think I know what the palpable step is from. Did you have an accident?

Weird thing is that I didn't have an accident. Both shoulders are like that and have been for some time. I have no pain but because they looked more prominent than usual I went to see my doc. He won't give an X-ray now after he said it's nothing to worry about. So I'll have to either find another doctor or ... well I don't know what.

Any ideas what could have caused this? I haven't fallen or anything and I don't play sports. Anybody seen anything like this before and know what causes it? Does it look like a sprain? Would a sprain hurt?

Is it possible that this could settle down on its own?

Snowstorm
20-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Here are some images of my other shoulder, the right one.

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18&stc=1&d=1156034621
http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19&stc=1&d=1156034718

kjwilkin
20-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi there,

If I was you I'd go and see a sports physician to get a proper diagnosis.

Think there are names of quite a few on the site.

Good luck !

Snowstorm
30-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Seen doctor who said it was nothing to worry about. Saw two hospital staff at medical centre, both said it was nothing. Saw physio (by far the expert) who made so far the most thorough examination and said it looked like a fratcure or break from long past that has repaired and if no pain or movement restriction nothing to worry about. Said it didn't look deformed and was just the shape of my clavicle - my joints are prominent. Well, you'll think I'm a hypochondriac but I'm still not happy. I want an xray, and I'm going back to the doctor get one.

kjwilkin
30-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi there,

If I was you I'd go and seek another opinion if you're not happy.

I would strongly advise on going to see a sports physician to get a proper diagnosis. They deal with joint problems all the time.

Since I've started seeing a sports physician I'm so much better and know I get the right treatment.

I know of some good sports physicians in Melbourne and Sydney. Where are you based ?

Good luck !

plucs
31-08-2006, 09:22 AM
You are entitled to receive a proper answer if you are worried. Push for the xray. If your doctor refuses to give you an xray, find someone else.

Nicholas
04-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Weird thing is that I didn't have an accident. Both shoulders are like that and have been for some time. I have no pain but because they looked more prominent than usual I went to see my doc.

I know your shoulder can't be infected or injured because you don't have pain. This is probably a rare injury. I am not sure if it even is becuase u said that u had no pain. I agree with what plucs said. You should get your shoulder X-Rayed.

Snowstorm
05-09-2006, 04:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I've been back to my doctor yet again and had an argument with him over it. He's refusing to give me an Xray and won't back down on it, saying it costs the NHS money. I told him health is more important than money. Obviously he disagrees. Some doctor he is! Sheesh, this is what we have to put up with in the UK. I can't see another doctor unless I pay and nobody can refer me for an Xray without my doctor's approval. Looks like I'm going to have to pay to see a doctor and pay for an Xray which is a ridiculous situation to be in. I just can't afford it. Failing that, I'm tempted to throw a small tantrum in the A&E department at the hospital. They'll probably put me away before they give me an Xray because its cheaper. And everywhere I go I keep checking people's shoulders like some kind of nut to see if they have prominent acromions as prominent as mine. The other night I saw two boxers on TV in two bouts I watched, and both guys had very very prominent acromions. On one guy (Glen Johnson) his looked like wing tips they were so bad! I'm convinced there is something wrong with mine, though. I'm sure they shouldn't look like that.

Check 'em out on this boxer.
http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21&stc=1&d=1157394390

Snowstorm
17-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Had two x-rays now on the shoulder (I posted images a long while back) and the senior consultant who looked at them is saying there is no sign of injury at all. And yet my shoulder's acromions are still sticking out like hell. So what the hell is it? Why do both shoulders click all the time if there is no injury? Am I right in thinking that maybe I have a ligament problem with the shoulders and obviously because this isn't showing up on the x-ray the doc thinks that nothing is wrong? Although he did say it might be a soft tissue problem, whatever that means... any advice appreciated.

Is a good result from the x-ray a gaurantee that there is no injury to the shoulder?

Nicholas
17-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Good to see you online again 'Snowstorm'. Here are 5 suggestions from me:
1. It could be a side-effect from an old injury.
2. The shoulder could be instable but I'm not sure if you have an instable shoulder because you have no pain.
3. Maybe it might be normal.
4. If you do a lot of excersize it may be a sign of stress.
5. Have you tried physio? If not then I reckon you should give it a try to see if it disappears.

Snowstorm
17-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for replying.

4. If you do a lot of excersize it may be a sign of stress.

Probably this one. Too much excercise. Been lifting weights for years, not body building as such but just keeping fit with weights and this may well be from overuse in the shoulder. Like I said though, no pain but just clicking and popping quite a bit in both shoulders.

I think the most sensible thing to do now, like you suggest, is to go see a decent sports physio.

:)