PDA

View Full Version : slap tear in right shoulder

94edxr
10-09-2006, 10:34 PM
hi i have a slap tear and a cyst in my right shoulder, been told to have surgery but i aint keen on the idea of the surgery. are their other altenatives to keep the pain down and to keep the shoulder resembly healthy. i am concerned about the cyst. is there any major long term affects if i dont have the surgery....

kjwilkin
11-09-2006, 08:37 PM
hi i have a slap tear and a cyst in my right shoulder, been told to have surgery but i aint keen on the idea of the surgery. are their other altenatives to keep the pain down and to keep the shoulder resembly healthy. i am concerned about the cyst. is there any major long term affects if i dont have the surgery....

Hi there,

If I was you I'd just have the surgery and do the rehab. You may be able to have it arthroscopically which means the recovery time is much quicker.

Good luck !

xonicjan
13-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Have the surgery. Everytime to move/lift your arm that little flaps getting irritated and could get worse...

doesnt the clunking/clicking give you the shi**???

Summer1825
20-10-2006, 03:43 AM
I had the SLAP repair done on Sept. 6. I didn't have alot of pain. The one bad thing was wearing the sling for 3 weeks.
Summer

Nickey
01-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Hi,

I had a SLAP repair and cyst removal on Oct. 5, 2006. I also had to have a decompression of the A/C joint. My bicep tendon had become so damaged that it had to be cut and inserted into a hole drilled in my arm bone. I think the reason for the tendon damage was that I did not know of the problem and kept using the arm without repairs too long. The standard procedures for SLAP repair were not possible. I suggest you do not delay.

Be advised, the reports I see here today do not resemble my experience. I am a month out of surgery and the pain is still terrible. The first two weeks were nothing less than agony. My physical therapist says I have a high pain tollerance. Well, it was almost impossible to tollerate, even with pain medication. I think this surgery should not be done on an outpatient basis. I wish I had been hospitalized for at least 3 days and possible 5 days. Heavy pain medication, which they will not give you, would have done the trick. They just left me to suffer saying they can't give the good stuff because of the DEA.

Good luck, Nickey

bone504
11-12-2006, 08:28 PM
hi, i just got the slap tear repair sugery on october 27th, 2006. but i hurt my shoulder playing volley ball in july of 2006. i watied almost two months to see a doctor because i just thought the pain would go away but for two months it never did and my doctor requested a mri and . found out that i tore that dam biceps tendon. and he recommended surgery becuse i still experienced the pain to the same degree as the first day i hurt it. by the way i completely tore the bicep tendon from the labrum . My honest opinion i think physical thearpy is good for some injuries but it is a load of crap for an injury like this one. u should have the surgery

angieliu
10-01-2007, 06:14 PM
I have been going through the process of investigating if I have a SLAP lesion and it has been so far inconclusive. My sports doctor suggested surgery if there was a tear present because I was still experiencing pain and it was probably more painful because I had ultrasound treatment.

I think that because you also have a cyst in the right shoulder and the tear that it would be better to do the surgery. I'm not one who would normally opt for surgery but I think that in this instance it may be better. I would also suggest if you are concerned with the idea of surgery that you look into seeking a second opinion. It won't harm, it will just reaffirm your decision if you want to go ahead with surgery or not.