View Full Version : Help needed! what to do now?

07-10-2006, 05:56 PM
As I have previously discussed I have a full thickness tear of suprispinatus in my right shoulder and partial tear in my left shoulder, I was referred to orthopaedic surgeon and he wants to operate, I'm on waiting list so I went to see my GP to get some help with pain management and he put me on prednisalone and said to give them a go, I felt he wasn't exactly sure how to best treat me so I have made an appointment with a sports doctor for next week, anyhow after 5 days of taking the prednisalone there was no improvement and I was in extreeme constant pain so I went to my local Emergency department and the doctor I saw was amazed that I had not been told what to take for pain. He also felt I should have an MRI because my symptoms were presenting like rheumatoid arthritis, he gave me something for the pain and said I should look into it as soon as possible, so today I went and saw another GP because I wasn't happy with my previous and he said there was no reason for having an MRI and that if my Orthopaedic Surgeon had of thought it was nessasary he would have ordered it. My shoulders are getting worse everyday as far as pain and a loss of strength aswell, I have had little niggling pains in other joints but nothing like my shoulders. What do I do now?????
What should I expect from my appointment with the sports doctor?
Should I just leave the issue of Rhuematoid arthritis alone or should I push for the tests??

I'm at a real loss as to who to believe and exactly who to trust so any help would be fantastic.

07-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi hails, like the 2nd GP said, if the OS thought an MRI as necessary, they would have ordered one. However, rheumatoid arthritis can be easily tested via a blood test looking for "rheumatoid factor". If this is positive then you have it. If negative there is a very good chance (but not 100%) chance that you DON'T have it.

07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi Hails,

Just makes me cringe when you tell us about the GPs you've seen. The reason I stopped seeing my GP for joint related problems was that often they wouldn't order the right scans and would have suggest things I'd already tried.

I was also surprised your OS didn't want to do another scan. It may be worth getting a second opinion. Greg Hoy and John Salmon are both very good shoulder surgeons.

Which sports doctor are you going to see ? Since I've been seeing Chris Bradshaw and Andrew Jowett at Olympic Park they've been able to order the right scans and give me an accurate diagnosis. If they are ever concerned, they refer me back to my orthopaedic surgeon. I'd ask the sports doctor about getting a referral to another orthopaedic surgeon that specialises in shoulders.

The sports doctor will know what scans to order and also the appropriate treatment to suggest. Wouldn't surprise me if the sports doctor you suggests you have an MRI. I would be strongly guided by what the sports physician says.

I know know that if I have an injury I can be assured that I'll get the right treatment. At the moment I've got a problem with my knee dislocating and subluxating medially. My sports physician said he was concerned and suggested I go and see my knee surgeon.

Good luck and let us know how you go !!! :)