PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Directional Instability

onearmedbandit
24-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi all

I hope that someone may have some ideas/advice as I am all out...

In June this year, I managed to posteriorally dislocate my left shoulder by turning the steering wheel of my car (very gently I might add).

The MRI at the hospital indicated that I have a glenoid deformity which is one of the reasons for my posterior instability (the other being very lax ligaments).

I spent 9 weeks in an external rotation sling (feels like a straight jacket) before surgery where they then discovered that I had multi-directional instability, not just posterior instability.

I am now 8 weeks post-op and am still in the sling, still dislocating and still in pain. My surgeon has consulted other orthos and there is a suggestion that I may should consider a bone block procedure.

My ortho has given me two options to consider for the moment - 1. wait until the scar tissue settles and the joint stiffens and 2. have further surgery - the bone block procedure.

I am concerned that the bone block procedure is not a common procedure and that it may simply 'fuse' the shoulder not to mention increase my pain.

I was a very active person prior to the trauma and simply want some quality of life back.

Has anyone had a similar situation/surgery?

Cheers.

kjwilkin
24-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi all

I hope that someone may have some ideas/advice as I am all out...

In June this year, I managed to posteriorally dislocate my left shoulder by turning the steering wheel of my car (very gently I might add).

The MRI at the hospital indicated that I have a glenoid deformity which is one of the reasons for my posterior instability (the other being very lax ligaments).

I spent 9 weeks in an external rotation sling (feels like a straight jacket) before surgery where they then discovered that I had multi-directional instability, not just posterior instability.

I am now 8 weeks post-op and am still in the sling, still dislocating and still in pain. My surgeon has consulted other orthos and there is a suggestion that I may should consider a bone block procedure.

My ortho has given me two options to consider for the moment - 1. wait until the scar tissue settles and the joint stiffens and 2. have further surgery - the bone block procedure.

I am concerned that the bone block procedure is not a common procedure and that it may simply 'fuse' the shoulder not to mention increase my pain.

I was a very active person prior to the trauma and simply want some quality of life back.

Has anyone had a similar situation/surgery?

Cheers.

Hi there,

I completely understand what you must be going through at the moment. I have
multi-directional instability in both of my shoulders. About 3 years ago I had my left shoulder operated on and hasn't been a problem since. The procedure I had was called a capsular shift where they shrink the size of the capsule. It has made the world of difference. Keep putting off having my right shoulder done. I'm at the point where I just want it done now. Just trying to work out when to get it done as I have a problem with my kneecap popping out at the moment. Seeing my knee surgeon on Monday.

The capsular shift procedure is often done for multi-directional instability. My problem is further complicated by the fact that I have loose ligaments. They should be able to determine whether you have multi-directional instability before they operate.

I would make sure you are going to one of the best shoulder surgeons in your city. In Melbourne I see John Salmon who is really good with multi-directional instability. Let me know if you want his contact details.

Good luck and let us know how you go !

onearmedbandit
25-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Hi kjwilkin

Thank you for your message. Sorry to hear that you also have MDI and a knee issue.. bad timing huh! I had similar situation where my hip and shoulder were both playing up... it was very difficult as I couldn't use the crutches to assist the hip due to the shoulder.... hope you're having better luck with your knee :)

I had a capsular shift performed on my right shoulder 4 years ago for anterior instability. It was not too bad and has served reasonably well with few dislocations since however the joint is still very loose and I will ultimately have to have a further op. I too have loose ligaments - have had knee, hip shoulder & back issues all of my life so know how you're feeling.

For the moment, the left shouder is my priority. I am teamed up with the best surgeons in Sydney. Thanks for the referral to Dr Salmon.

Seeing Ortho tomorrow morning for review so hopefully will be closer towards making a decision...

Good luck with the knee..