PDA

View Full Version : AC Joint Separation - How long?

hopeful
09-11-2006, 05:59 PM
I did my AC joint 2 weeks ago from Judo. Physio and doctors believe its a Grade 1 to Grade 2. I do have a prominent bump though. So far I have perhaps 80% ROM. I also have muscle tears but they seem to be improving on a daily basis. Pain is detected in th acual joint with certain movements.

One of the most frustrating things is that at certain movements, for example, when I am walking, I feel alot of discomfort from the clavicle's position. It feels like I have a pole stuck inside my shoulder.

I was wondering if any of you guys felt this, and will it go away? if so, how long? I dont think my case is bad enough for surgery. But I am preparing for it if this feeling of discomfort continues.

Hipster
09-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Dude, it's been two weeks. Take it easy. These things take time to heal.:cool:

cal
10-11-2006, 03:28 AM
I did my AC joint 2 weeks ago from Judo. Physio and doctors believe its a Grade 1 to Grade 2. I do have a prominent bump though. So far I have perhaps 80% ROM. I also have muscle tears but they seem to be improving on a daily basis. Pain is detected in th acual joint with certain movements.

One of the most frustrating things is that at certain movements, for example, when I am walking, I feel alot of discomfort from the clavicle's position. It feels like I have a pole stuck inside my shoulder.

I was wondering if any of you guys felt this, and will it go away? if so, how long? I dont think my case is bad enough for surgery. But I am preparing for it if this feeling of discomfort continues.
Don't worry.My son had it last year. I think he was back in full contact hockey within 6wks at the most, but back skating within 3-4 wks.Keep up with your exercises.Sorry though, the bump is forever!:rolleyes:

hopeful
16-11-2006, 03:16 PM
just wondering if the feeling of having a raised clavicle stays. or will my body just get used to it? if, so how long?

cal
17-11-2006, 05:17 AM
just wondering if the feeling of having a raised clavicle stays. or will my body just get used to it? if, so how long?

Honestly, my son never mentioned that sensation.Is your clavicle actually displaced? I don't think they even do surgery on a Grade 1 or 2 or even 3. Are you seeing an athletic therapist? Maybe the sensation is just due to swelling?

hopeful
19-11-2006, 09:37 PM
my clavicle has been noticeably raised at the end. my bump rides about 1cm compared to my good shoulder. when i press on the bump, it actually goes down about 1cm but when i let go it pops back up (no sound). the way that it looks is pretty much how it feels.

it feels stable enough for day to day tasks, and ive done some moderate free weights (10 kg dumbells) and it seems to be fine, though ive been quite gentle.

when i walk, my shoulder certainly doesnt feel the same way as my good shoulder. im hoping my body will just get used to it.

Nm0ney34
20-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Thats pretty much how mine is right now.

accept I cant really push mine down very far, I can a bit but then it starts to hurt.

Thats good about the wieghts because honestly it feels like the best thing I have done for my shoulder is lightly work it out. I still have a small amount of pain with a few movements, most notably over the head, but I pretty much have my full range of motion back, which is good. Been 2 weeks since my injury today.

Ive been working out my shoulder just like how I would any other time work it one day, rest 72 hours, work it again. If I feel good I may go for a third day. but each time I am able to up the wieght of my exercises. and I usually do 4 sets of 10-15 reps with each exercise.

Good to see ur shoulder is starting to feel like your other one, I hope things stay positive for you.

cal
21-11-2006, 02:20 PM
my clavicle has been noticeably raised at the end. my bump rides about 1cm compared to my good shoulder. when i press on the bump, it actually goes down about 1cm but when i let go it pops back up (no sound). the way that it looks is pretty much how it feels.

it feels stable enough for day to day tasks, and ive done some moderate free weights (10 kg dumbells) and it seems to be fine, though ive been quite gentle.

when i walk, my shoulder certainly doesnt feel the same way as my good shoulder. im hoping my body will just get used to it.
I read that when the ligament are torn, the clavicle can slip out of place.Thatt is probably what you are feeling. physical therapy might help it but my guess is that when the ligaments healand you get scar tissue the clavicle will not move like that. I am not a doctor however.Make sure you get the proper exercizes for your condition.That will give you the best chance of it healing properly.

hopeful
27-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi cal, I really appreiciate your input. The thing with my separation is.. well I found out that my AC joint is actually quite stretchyfor some reason. And it didnt actually tear. So in saying that, I have a Grade 1 technically. but the fact that I have the bump would mean its a Grade 2. So I guess its somewhere in between. I also tore a supraspinatus and stretched the nerves of my trapezius so therefore I have a deflated traps. the nerves werent destroyed as the traps have gradually gotten bigger. I think this may be the reason why my shoulder feels uncomfortable as mentioned previously. I really hope the feeling improves because mentally, I feel like I would snap and go crazy if I lose my temper!

nmoney, I actually thought you were female. But I think now you are male. Its just that you mentioned you were trying out for the comets, and as far as I am aware, they are a womans basketball team in Sydney. Since you mention you are a bouncer I guess you are male. At 6'3 and 95 kilos you would have been one scarey female if you were one. Im glad its all going well for you.

I just want to know if you are sleeping on your injured side. At 4 and a half weeks I still cant. I also want to know, if you notice the difference between your shoulders when you move, as the clavicle has been raised, i would imagine that mechanically, the body movement would be abit different.

Thanx

Nm0ney34
29-11-2006, 05:44 AM
lol i live in the US...where health care is ludachris...anyway yeah im a guy.

The semi pro football team in my city (Cincinnati) is called the Kings Comets.

I can lean on my injured shoulder and lay on that side, I havent tried to sleep on it yet. As for mechanics, I dont notice anything. When I move my shoulder it feels like my other one. Even over the head moves, think military press movements. Why? do you notice a difference? like if your not thinking about it?

cal
29-11-2006, 12:52 PM
It does sound as if something out of the norm is going o there as 4 1/2 wks. is quite a long time to be so uncomfortable with a Grade 1-2.Did you injure those other muscles in the same accident? And are you seeing an athletic therapist (in canada, a little different from a physio in that they are geared more towards sport specific movement).

hopeful
02-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi Cal, Im giving myself 6 to 8 weeks to see how it goes. Yes I injured the muscles at the same time as the AC. I have a feeling it has to do with my Traps being flat, but I am slowly getting them back. Ive noticed my hand on the injured side has recently started to become numb and tingly too. It started when I was flexing my traps and i felt some strange feeling. Maybe it was a nerve.

It great to see nmoney at full recovery. It gives me hope that I will heal like that sometime soon (if ever). Excuse my pessimism. Im gonna see my Physio in a few days, but he doesnt seem to be interested in my pain. And I will take it from there.

If anyone else has had a similar feeling to this, please post.

ellen_2006
11-12-2006, 05:17 PM
i too have also got pins and needles in my limbs. i found out that unless its directly related to the injury, then its often caused just by stress. the best way to find out is to wait a couple of days and if it doesnt go away then see a doctor. but within those days of trial then try to do different things to get your mind off the injury. my injury really bugs me. i hate having to look in the mirror. and instead of 8 weeks, consider 4 months or even 6 months. i heard that some take over a year to get over this type of injury.

unknown
09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=Nm0ney34;9428]Thats pretty much how mine is right now.

accept I cant really push mine down very far, I can a bit but then it starts to hurt.

Hi, i also had an AC joint seperation, grade 3. my clavical is raised about a half inch or so clearly looks out of place, im not so worried about how it looks but when i put a good amount of pressure on the bump it hurts. this is no good for me because i want to join the army and will be having to carry 60 kg rucksacks. will this pain ever go away ?

ac joint doh!
25-03-2009, 08:46 PM
hi there all, there seems to be mention of wieghts after an ac joint injury, this is the worst possible thing to do to this area and slow down healing, i have done a grade 3 ac joint seperation on my right shoulder, and had surgery to put it back, only 3 weeks ago so still in bad shape. The ligements need to heal not be streched with weights! its important to keep it moving by doing various exersises but not ith wieghts.

steve_q
28-03-2009, 12:34 AM
although I do not have this kind of problem I would like to know how long does it usually take to heal.
Say Grade II,
6 months? longer?

Please give a rough estimate.
thx

angieliu
31-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi guys,
I'm really interested in what I should be doing and how long it will take to heal. GIven that I already have soft ligaments it seems to be much easier for me to tear and sprain the muscles.

I hurt the AC joint after someone reversed into my car on my left side. My physio thinks I may have done a sprain because it seems to move a little too much when it is manipulated. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should be doing? My physio thinks I can still do scapula stabilisation work at the gym just no shoulder work for awhile.

all0055
14-07-2009, 03:05 PM
just to help u or anyone else out with this injury. im nearly 16 and about to have my second shoulder reconstruction from this injury.
the first time i did it i was back to footy within 2 weeks, i played the whole season with a grade 2 or 3 cant rememer but aggravated it to 4 or 5. this time round it is a severe grade 5 after copping a heavy knock front on. now it is essential and cant play with this. just e wheary and get checked out ut a low grade seperation wont keep you out for too long.
to heal you are looking at around 4-6 weeks ut depending on your body. my first seperation was feeling great within 2 weeks
hope this helps.

Compaq888
16-07-2009, 11:08 AM
It depends on a lot of things. Your age, your health status and etc. I've had my AC grade 2 for 1.5 years and my shoulder is still not back to normal. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 1.5 years to get it to where it doesn't bother me at all. I've seen a 19 year old that went to physical therapy for a month and fully recovered.