PDA

View Full Version : THE BUMP - How do you hide it?

hopeful
09-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Hey guys, I have joined the club.

I keep being told by doctors and physios that AC joints are extremely common. And that soooo many people walk around with the same shoulder as I do.

I travelled by train to the city today, and literally oberved hundreds of shoulders. Not one could I find 'the bump' (besides the one in the mirror).

Also, i look at an NRL game and find that all the footy players have pretty much even shoulders.

It feels that I am alone in this.

I know some of you are proud of your bump, but for the others, how do you go about hiding it? And if you happen to know, how do footy players hide theres? is it just all the muscle mass?

Discuss

cal
10-11-2006, 03:31 AM
Hey guys, I have joined the club.

I keep being told by doctors and physios that AC joints are extremely common. And that soooo many people walk around with the same shoulder as I do.

I travelled by train to the city today, and literally oberved hundreds of shoulders. Not one could I find 'the bump' (besides the one in the mirror).

Also, i look at an NRL game and find that all the footy players have pretty much even shoulders.

It feels that I am alone in this.

I know some of you are proud of your bump, but for the others, how do you go about hiding it? And if you happen to know, how do footy players hide theres? is it just all the muscle mass?

Discuss
Consider it a "war wound" and forget about it. You are in great company: pro football and hockey players.It is nothing.Forget it and play your game!

Snowstorm
17-11-2006, 04:03 AM
Although your reply was meant to help, it's quite flippant to tell someone forget it. Many people, me included, who've suffered shoulder injuries are really concerned about these bumps on their shoulders and would like to know how to cover them or make them look less striking. Perhaps someone out there knows a specific shoulder excercise (using weights etc) that builds the muscle around this kind of injury to make it less prominent...

:)

cal
17-11-2006, 05:11 AM
[QUOTE=Snowstorm]Although your reply was meant to help, it's quite flippant to tell someone forget it. Many people, me included, who've suffered shoulder injuries are really concerned about these bumps on their shoulders and would like to know how to cover them or make them look less striking. Perhaps someone out there knows a specific shoulder excercise (using weights etc) that builds the muscle around this kind of injury to make it less prominent...
Sorry, that was not meant to be flippant in the least. I said it because my son has it and that is the attitude I would like him to have.As an athlete, you will have bumps, bruises and scars.We all have imperfections.I guess that being in great shape and having sculpted shoulders will help you to refocus, but I still beleive that self acceptance is fundamental. Because I am around so many athletes, I see these types of "battle scars" all the time.Sometimes you have to live with some changes caused by sports injuries. I think that we often feel that our imperfections are an issue to the opposite sex when we actually exaggerate the impact. I think my son looks great and I wouldn't want him to waste any of his energy obsessing about his bump. So I guess I answered the way I speak to him.Sorry again if I seemed flippant because what I meant was, your bump is not really important and will not make you seem unnattractive to others.If it does,I think that the problem lies with those "others". I hope you feel better about it with time.

Nm0ney34
17-11-2006, 07:09 AM
I agree with cal, The important thing here is your shoulder movement and it not being hurt/injured. A battle scar is just a cool way of looking at it, honestly people have accidents and get hurt all the time where it shows up physically. I hope someday you will be able to cope with it, and not obsess about how it looks, just wasted energy.

by the way there are exercises you can do to help. If you play sports or are familair with lifting this should be fairly easy. Your traps are the obvious hiders here, the muscles that go from your neck to your shoulder. Add in shrugs to your workout routine and in a few weeks you should start noticing a difference.

Also your shoulder muscles and the ones around it help. Military press, rows, upright rows, cable pulls, various forms of push ups, yadaa yadaa. Along with helping it not stick out so much, these are great ways to strengthin everything to prevent any future injurys.

I recently tore my ac joint, but I can tell you from me working out before that and now, my traps and muscles around my shoulder definitly help hide it. You can tell its still there but it helps.

I hope that can help a bit, spend a few months in the gym and see if that doesnt help you out. And I hope you can find more peace with your injury and not let it cosmeticaly bother you so much.

Snowstorm
17-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the comments, and I agree with you both to a point, it is after all only cosmetic if there isn't really any pain (just popping in the shoulders a bit) and perhaps I'm being vain about it ... but it's just that it looks like a sign of injury or is a sign of injury and that's part of the worry. When you see your shoulders suddenly sticking out over the acromion like that, suddenly, after years of having no problem with them at all it starts you worrying about whether what you're currently doing in terms of sport & excercise is just making matters worse or causing further trauma to the area. Out of sight out of mind. While I can see the problem it's a constant worry. I suppose that goes for everybody with this sort of thing.

And thanks for the advice on traps. I long suspected that training the traps might help but wasn't sure.

hopeful
25-11-2006, 06:13 PM
just wondering if atrophy of the trapezius on the injured side is common? i noticed when i flex my traps, i dont seem to have that same shape as before, or on the uninjured side. possibly something to do with a trapezius detachment?

Nm0ney34
26-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Not sure, I know that when i flex them my bump is nearly non-existent. Havent seen anything like that...yet...hehe. Maybe you should take that question to a doctor.

I would suggest maybe because they just have been idol for so long, maybe there just not the same shape as before. I would ask a doctor if you get the chance.

hopeful
26-11-2006, 10:16 AM
hi nmoney. thanx for the reply. at certain poses my bump seems to go as well. even when i focus my eyes on it.

the bump doesnt bother me too much to be honest. but anything to hide it would be a psychological boost, espcially when going to weddings (with a suit) and going on dates etc.
when i wear a collared shirt, no one would notice it unless i pointed it out.

id imagine your a pretty big guy. im only 173cms tall and weigh 78 kilos. i think footy players have it good with all that body mass they carry around.

Nm0ney34
26-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I know what you mean, im glad im not into body building...the bump certainly doesnt help with symetry =P

Im about, 6'3" 208Lbs or about 94.5 kilos. Different positions call for different wieghts tho.

Hey atleast you'll always have a conversion starter, haha...

I would hit the gym and work your shoulders/traps/lats and back for a good three months and see how it helps conceal the bump. Start out light and work on range of motion on the machines and gradually work up the wieght.

Thats what im doing right now anyway accept im also adding in squats/legs/bicepts/tricepts/abs and cardio...

Snowstorm
27-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Like the person who started this thread I've been checking out everybody's shoulders since these bumps came up on mine, too. Despite what I wrote in my earlier post, I really do wish I could cover these friggin' things up. I firmly believe now that they were caused by lifting weights. I've been lifting weights for over fifteen years and some cartilage degeneration is guaranteed - perhaps that's why I have the bumps, because of joint wear. Still haven't had a decent diagnosis of the bumps and the clicking in the shoulders. My doctor is a real a-hole, to say the least. Anyway, I'm resting the shoulders at the moment, no weights until after xmas, in the hope that it's inflammation and the bumps will go down - though I doubt it very much. They've been like this for over four months now.

Like "hopeful" I started checking out people's shoulders. What I noticed is that these prominent acromions are pretty common in athletes, boxers, weight lifters, swimmers, people who use or have used weights in the past as part of a routine and have a low body fat. Check out my other post where I put up a picture of the boxer Glen Johnson who has very prominent ACs, like wing tips!

I should be thankful I guess that I have no pain as such, although I do get an aching sometimes around the acromions.

I'm still wondering if it could be dislocation, but then a x-ray would have ruled that out surely? Then again, with an idiot doctor like mind, you lose faith in the medical profession completely. And I suppose dislocations are bloody painful ... well, except I've heard you can actually have discolation and not know about it. If that's true, it's a worry also.

My doctor's denial that there is nothing there just won't wash with me when I can't even wear the t-shirts I was wearing four months ago because of the sharp points sticking up over my shoulders now. :(

hopeful
27-11-2006, 04:05 PM
after seeing the thousands of shoulders lately i would agree with you snowstorm that some athletes, espcially boxers have prominent acromioms. some athletes that come to mind are Vernon White, and Jon Olav Einemo (MMA fighters). But I have also seen alot of skinny people, who walk around with the same shoulders. im talking about real lanky type of people. their acromioms seem far more obvious than yours.

Like nmoney mentioned, traps are the best hiders. the best exercise for these are shrugs. you can use dumbells or barbells. When you do it though, make sure you have straight arms so that you use only your traps. Another variation is if you put the dumbell or barbell behind you, and slide it up and down the contours of your rear end. when you go up, hold it there for a second then let go. i see an immediate change instantly. i wished it stayed that way though.

also, instead of t-shirts, you can wear those shirts that have an epaulette on them. some styles are pretty popular. they are the same stylr of shirts police officers and some army personnel wear. they hide the shape of the shoulders to some degree.

i find that hooded tops are great too.

Nm0ney34
29-11-2006, 05:48 AM
I know its not easy trying to not notice it. but look on the bright side. They dont hurt, thats always a plus!

If your still having problems with your doctor, I know this is a bit far fetched but try taking a picture or 2 of your shoulders and submit them to an online site where doctors answer questions. Just throwing it out there.

Snowstorm
01-12-2006, 11:04 PM
If your still having problems with your doctor, I know this is a bit far fetched but try taking a picture or 2 of your shoulders and submit them to an online site where doctors answer questions. Just throwing it out there.

Actually this sounds like a very good idea to me. Thanks.

And I see what hopeful means about Vernon White. Actually looking at his pictures, his shoulders have that same dropped look as mine, with the ac flat across the top and prominent at the end of the traps.

My doctor's denial that there is nothing there just won't wash with me when I can't even wear the t-shirts I was wearing four months ago because of the sharp points sticking up over my shoulders now

Jeez check out that double negative. What I meant of course is that my doctor is denying that there is anything wrong.
There ...

hopeful
02-12-2006, 09:17 AM
can u post your photos again. the old links seem to be dead.

Snowstorm
02-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Here they are ... and I hope this works.

Left shoulder
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/Darkpool_01/five.jpg

Right shoulder
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/Darkpool_01/right3.jpg

hopeful
02-12-2006, 06:29 PM
thanx snow. they look very similar to my injured shoulder actually. though yours seems to stick out by half a centimetre, mine sticks out 1 centimetre. at least you are symetrical :-)

there is also a former ironman named guy leech who appears to have the same shoulders as you. he got voted the fittest 40 year old in the world.

Mischap123
02-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Hopeful,
Wear clothes over it is the answer. Unless you have a major modelling contract on the line you'll have to get used to the lump.

Snowstorm
03-12-2006, 02:55 AM
there is also a former ironman named guy leech who appears to have the same shoulders as you. he got voted the fittest 40 year old in the world

I'd never heard of Guy Leech until your post. But this confirms my belief that mine were caused by lifting weights for years and years, like the idiot that I am.

Snowstorm
03-12-2006, 02:57 AM
Hopeful,
Wear clothes over it is the answer. Unless you have a major modelling contract on the line you'll have to get used to the lump.

Again with the flippancy. Well it isn't appreciated. Trying to cover the problem up is like sweeping your troubles under the carpet. I certainly refuse to accept it until I've exhausted every possible way to fix it.

Snowstorm
03-12-2006, 09:36 PM
This is the aussie model Ian lawless.

Check the AC bumps (and no that isn't a euphemism or an innuendo, lol) on this guy.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/Darkpool_01/2006-09-24.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/Darkpool_01/3captures031.jpg

If you've seen him in that Lacoste advert that some old women complained about over here in the UK you'll have seen how badly his ACs stick out. Well ... I guess women weren't really looking at his shoulders, but anyways ... you can see straight away what we're talking about here.

hopeful
17-12-2006, 09:19 PM
thanx for showing us. i personally think that your bumps dont look too bad as yours are symmetrical (right side same as the left) and clearly there are many people who have your shoulders, as demonstrated by the model above and other athletes. sometimes i feel having a separation done to my uninjured shoulder just to make it even.

Wiijakki
16-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi everyone,
I know this forum discussed the BUMP issue a few years ago but I was wondering how you have got on with the BUMP. 5 wks ago I fell and have a grade 2-3 separation. I'm a fitness instructor and it's really impacted my life. I'm also obsessed with looking at the bump and trying to hold my posture in a position where it's reduced! It's really getting me down.

I was wondering if you guys found exercises did actually help reduce the bump? Has it went down over time? Do you think a chiropractor could help move the position if the clavicle? More importantly are you back to 100% movement. I'm devastated to think I can't work to my full capacity eventually.

Any feedback or advice would really be appreciated.
It's such a horrible injury as it can't be fixed unless surgery buts bone back in place.

Kind regards
Wiijakki :(

inky
06-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Guys, I can't tell you ways to reduce the bump. But I'm a woman, so I'm obsessive about my own physical imperfections, and I understand.

At the same time, as a woman (because we seem to be talking about man shoulders) I can definitely say it is actually possible to find imperfections in other people realllly sexy. :) I mean seriously - I'm not just saying that.

I can see in some ways this is not just, "am I physically attractive", but.. feeling different-looking and alone in it, and just wanting to look normal. But I wanted to mention that.

I have bad ankles, which need surgery. At this point in time, walking is so painful I haven't even considered what will my feet look like after, although I'm worried that gastrocnemius lengthening could change the shape of my calves. I consider my feet a lost cause, but in public they're concealed in shoes, no one can tell. Ugly shoes do concern me. I wear flat boots now, but they are still cool ones.. I'm a bit of a style fascist, I long ago accepted not wearing heels, but I hope not to wind up in super daggy shoes. I wouldn't feel good about that.

I'm living proof of the fact that people can find strange physical imperfections, like a pointy shoulder, endearing and attractive. I hate my feet. They hurt. My ankles are just really really unstable and my feet are really flat. But boyfriends have always gone on about how cute they are. I even remember receiving texts about them! What compels someone to find my feet attractive, I will never understand. Apparently they're cute because they're misshapen AND small?? If I have shoes on, you can't tell anything at all, but if people see them without shoes (almsot never unless a bf) they're like "whoa" o.O because they are so flat. So, it's not the same thing, and people can't see it on public transport, but if I was to go out wearing thongs, yeah. They are strange looking feet. It's hard to say how attraction works because "cute" is not how I feel about my imperfections when I look in the mirror.

And yet, if I liked someone and thought they were hot and they had a pointy shoulder, I would probably think it was just another thing that made them unique. :) Symmetry is always what we're told is attractive. But I can think of things that I liked in people which were asymmetrical and imperfect. And I don't know why, but I felt like it gave that person a little edge of character.

I like to think your pointy shoulders might well have their own charm and wanted to say as much.

Sorry to hear that you had this injury Wiijakki. Have you had any improvement?

Best wishes