PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on AC injury

Nm0ney34
10-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi everyone im new here, wanted to do some research on my new injury

Last sunday I tore my AC joint playing football, as what I can remember a kid jumped on top of me from the side, it was wet I slipped and he fell on my shoulder. At first I thought I dislocated it, but a trip to the ER showed I had a AC injury.

Now I dont have insurance...i just cant afford it, going to the ER was painfull enough for me to think about. But they wanted to refer me to an orthopedic doctor. I havent gone so far just doing my own research just looking for alternative solutions to having to pay a fortune with no insurance =(.

The reason why this injury has me worried is because I was on a strict wieght/strength plan. Next summer I want to try out for our citys semi-pro team, The kings comets. I am so worried right now that this injury might hurt me badly.

as of now i cant move my shoulder a whole lot, a have a very limited range of motion and I try to sling it most of the time. takeing breaks to move my elbow and wirst around and to test my ROM.

Physically wise, theres not a huge bump, in the mirror it just looks like the area is a bit swollen, but when i run my finger across it, u can feel a small incline of the bone.

Basically my questions are

What type does this sound like? im guessing a type 2 or maybe between a type 1-2. I know its hard to tell from just this information tho. I wish I could have saw the x-rays that were taken.

approximatly how long should it be before I can start doing exorcises for my shoulder, and ultimatly get back to strength training?

anything else I should know or to help me along the way?

I hope im not comming across as impatient, I guess Im just trying to figure this thing out more. I know that each injury is different to a certain degree, and I am more than willing to let it fully heal.

Also, I have been doing about 30 mins of cardio everyday since this has happened to keep my body from just laying around the house, and it actually makes me feel beter shoulder wise, that is. Is there a probelm with that?

Thanks and any responses will be GREATLY appreciated.

cal
10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi everyone im new here, wanted to do some research on my new injury

Last sunday I tore my AC joint playing football, as what I can remember a kid jumped on top of me from the side, it was wet I slipped and he fell on my shoulder. At first I thought I dislocated it, but a trip to the ER showed I had a AC injury.

Now I dont have insurance...i just cant afford it, going to the ER was painfull enough for me to think about. But they wanted to refer me to an orthopedic doctor. I havent gone so far just doing my own research just looking for alternative solutions to having to pay a fortune with no insurance =(.

The reason why this injury has me worried is because I was on a strict wieght/strength plan. Next summer I want to try out for our citys semi-pro team, The kings comets. I am so worried right now that this injury might hurt me badly.

as of now i cant move my shoulder a whole lot, a have a very limited range of motion and I try to sling it most of the time. takeing breaks to move my elbow and wirst around and to test my ROM.

Physically wise, theres not a huge bump, in the mirror it just looks like the area is a bit swollen, but when i run my finger across it, u can feel a small incline of the bone.

Basically my questions are

What type does this sound like? im guessing a type 2 or maybe between a type 1-2. I know its hard to tell from just this information tho. I wish I could have saw the x-rays that were taken.

approximatly how long should it be before I can start doing exorcises for my shoulder, and ultimatly get back to strength training?

anything else I should know or to help me along the way?

I hope im not comming across as impatient, I guess Im just trying to figure this thing out more. I know that each injury is different to a certain degree, and I am more than willing to let it fully heal.

Also, I have been doing about 30 mins of cardio everyday since this has happened to keep my body from just laying around the house, and it actually makes me feel beter shoulder wise, that is. Is there a probelm with that?

Thanks and any responses will be GREATLY appreciated.
I am not a doctor, but my son had an AC separation last year from a hockey hit (between 1and 2) the bump appeared later. I would advise you to see an orthopedic surgeon but in the meantime, see an athletic therapist. It is not advisable to keep your arm in a sling too long, but it probably depends on the severity of your injury and this is what you must find out. My son began doing exercises almost immediatly(3 or 4 days). He did them faithfully and did 30 to 45 min on the spinning bike and progressed very soon to the elliptical trainer. He was completly healed in about 6 weeks and returned to contact hockey. You can still train your legs and abs. I would do everything possible to stay in shape.Please see someone and get that shoulder moving SAFELY.If you do not exercise it, you can end up with frozen shoulder.I am sure you will be fine for your tryouts providing you do not have a Grade 3 or more but don't delay in sseeking help.I also don't know your age. My son was 13 at the time and healed quickly. Good luck.

Nm0ney34
10-11-2006, 11:44 AM
im 22.

Im continuing to take my protein shakes/bars and creatine in hopes it may help speed up the recovery...I know its far off seeing as how these are legaments and not muscles.

I really cant afford much, im putting myself through school and work a job that doesnt offer health coverage. Thats why i thought posting my problem here may get me a few answers, or atleast getting me closer to understandiing this injury more. surgery is defenitly out of the question, money wise, and I just believe in resting it naturally over surgery unless absolutly necisary.

Thanks for the advice cal

cal
10-11-2006, 12:05 PM
im 22.

Im continuing to take my protein shakes/bars and creatine in hopes it may help speed up the recovery...I know its far off seeing as how these are legaments and not muscles.

I really cant afford much, im putting myself through school and work a job that doesnt offer health coverage. Thats why i thought posting my problem here may get me a few answers, or atleast getting me closer to understandiing this injury more. surgery is defenitly out of the question, money wise, and I just believe in resting it naturally over surgery unless absolutly necisary.

Thanks for the advice cal
We are in Canada where medical care is free(if you can get it).Perhaps revisit the ER and ask them what grade separation you have.There are several internet sites that give good exercizes. I remember that you start with just isometric and progress to ROM exercises(while supporting yourself with your good arm,let the injured arm hang completly and circle in both directions also standing facing a wall and keeping the injured arm straight, "walk" your fingers up the wall stopping before pain.Progress a little more each day. From there, you move on to theraband exercises.Make sure to ICE regularly and always after exercise. And you might want to step up the vitamin C.

Nm0ney34
12-11-2006, 08:45 AM
I got my xrays finally, so Ill post them and see what some of you think. as Im not too sure.

On another note I have about 40-50% range of motion back. doing stretches and icing it. Let me know what some of your oppinions are.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/Nm0ney34/acjointinjury.jpg

hopeful
12-11-2006, 10:05 AM
hi nmoney34,

your x-rays look very similar to mine. i am now 17 days from when the injury occurred. it still feels like i have a pole stuck inside my shoulder. i suffer from back pain, especially in bed. and when i get out of bed. are you experiencing these symptoms too? id say the back pain is due to having the muscles on my injured shoulder not active (they are just flat), and this causes some tensions in my lower back. im hoping it will subside once i build up my muscles.

i can pretty function well in my day to day activities. eg, drive a car, shower, brush teeth, get dressed etc. even about 4 days since being injured.

i would say yours is a grade 2. but its important to know that categorising these injuries has limitations as, other parts of the shoulder can be damaged as well. eg. i had damage to the supraspinatus and infrapinatus muscles and my traps seemed to just disapear.

anyway, hope this input helps. i can empathise with you to some degree about this injury as i recently had it as well.

Nm0ney34
12-11-2006, 11:50 AM
hey Hopeful, its been about 6 days so far. and while I get pain when I sleep, its not my back its in my shoulder. apparently I cant sleep flat, I have to prop myself up at an angle, it helps a bunch.

I have been doing stretches since about day 4. all kinds of stretches. this has helped me get my range of motion back alot. The stretch's have also helped majorly with the shoulder pain, I have been able to take my arm out of the sling for extended periods of time with no pain. I only wear the sling now because I know I need to keep the joint still.

I just went for a workout after I posted before, I started to do some shoulder motions with very light wieght and I would say my ROM is back to about 70ish now. Theres still that nasty bump but I could care less about that. I also Ice my shoulder after every workout/most stretch's just to be safe, and seems to help alot. IB profin also is a friend. Im no doctor but I beileve im doing ok for myself for now.

anywho, with the sleep thing maybe try prop up at an angle and see if that helps. Im sure your doing your stretchs too, hopefully you were fortunite enough to have insurance =P. Thank you for your input, and I hope everything heals up soon!

cal
12-11-2006, 11:53 PM
The bump is called a step deformity. I believe the fact that you have it means it is at least a grade 2. Can noone read that x-ray for you? My son only used the sling 48 hrs or so. the night pain is normal. How much IB are you taking? You can take 600mg instead of 400.

Nm0ney34
13-11-2006, 03:13 AM
yeah I figure since I have the bump its atleast grade 2. Honestly I dont care what the bump looks like or how big it is as long as I get my shoulder back to 100% some day.

X-ray wise. Apparently the doctor at the E.R didnt know a whole lot about this type of injury, she just basically told me I tore my joint and I need to see an orthopedic doctor. The 17.76mm on the x-ray is how much my joint is elevated from its original position, would be my best guess. why I posted it on here to see if myabe someone could read it =D heh.

Ill have to up my IB, didnt know that. Thanks =)

cal
13-11-2006, 08:45 AM
If your collarbone is in place, I am guessing it is a Grade 2.Most people don't have surgery even with a grade 3. Apparently grades 4-5-6 are rare. I think you will be 100% fine in about 6wks.As I mentioned, my son still has the bump, but once he was healed, he had no residual effects and resumed all sports. I know people who have had this happen 4 or 5 times!

Nm0ney34
14-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Just one last question for anyone.

After this kind of injury, once I heal will it be even more easy to do it again? I guess what Im saying is when I heal 100% will it really be 100%. will I be easily injured again?

Thanks to everyone and there help!

Hipster
14-11-2006, 11:34 AM
The straight answer to your question is, yes it is easier to re-injure your AC joint after a previous injury. This is because, when the AC joint -or any body tissue for that matter - heals, it heals with a scar which is usually of inferior quality to the original tissue. However, you can offset this innate weakness to a certain degree by strengthening the surrounding muscles and making sure you do a progressive loading program to maximise the efficiency of the system as it heals.

At the end of the day, if you get uncontrolled contact in a position of weakness for the AC joint, it will not have the same tensile strength as it used to have and may be at higher risk of injury.

hopeful
02-12-2006, 06:38 PM
since you have been doing lots of weights after injury,i was wondering if you have noticed any weakness compared to how it was before. ive head from everyone who has had this that bench press is not as strong as before.

Snowstorm
04-12-2006, 03:26 AM
It's great that you actually put your x-ray up here. This is the first time I've seen it (missed your post the first time round). I got to see my x-ray on computer after it was taken at the hospital and it looked nothing like yours. The clavicle wasn't riding up, so that's got me real confused now. Where the end of the clavicle is there was a huge bump that was pushing at the skin, but the bone wasn't riding up like in your x-ray. Maybe that's why my doctor can't see an injury there, because it doesn't look the way it's supposed to.

I'm even more confused about it now. I'm hoping, come next week, a sports physio will be able shed some light on this bloody thing.

I wish all of you good luck with your injuries. It's a bastard of a thing to have.

Brokenwing
08-12-2006, 06:24 AM
My son too was diagnose as having a torn AC and a broken shoulder. All having to do with hockey. Son also 13. This just actually happened during a hockey tournament in Chicago. It's been almost 2 weeks, yesterday was his first day back on the ice with full gear. After practice (no contact) he complained about the pain. When you son hurt his shoulder what did he do to keep his arm in motion or did he keep it restricted? By the way he saw his ortho yesterday and he said another 2 or 3 weeks maybe and he should be good to go. Dr stated he was a level 1, and stated the least that he uses it, the better. Can someone tell me how to tell a 13yr old not to move his arm. He's having a rough time. Can you tell me what your son did in place of work out?

Nmoney34 his x-ray looked just like yours.