PDA

View Full Version : Multi-directional Instability

Mary
27-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi everyone,
I've had 2 shoulder recons - 1 on my left in Feb 2006 & May 2006 & BOTH are still really loose. I just had cortisone shots into my left on Friday, & today it feels unreal - still a little bit of discomfort but nothing compared to what it was previously.

My questions for anybody who can help is that my ortho has told me both my shoulders are still really loose (congential disorder) & that further surgery is not an option as they will still be loose & I'll most likely loose my range of movement. Is this correct? I can still sublux my right by myself - great party trick, & my left I can't do but my ortho can pop it out the back. I am doing my physio twice a day (as recommended)

When I had the surgery on my left I had a bankart tear, SLAP tear & the ortho said he used anchors - but I had a plain xray on friday & there was nothing (which my sports physician thought was weird!)

On my right did capsular shift & fixed some labrum tears etc.

Has anybody been told by there ortho "I just don't know what to do?" It is very disheartning & the thing is he is suppose to be one of the best surgeons in QLD!

My Sports Physician is great - he's the only one that is ordering more tests for me to have done - MRI beginning of Dec to see what is really going on with my left.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mary

kjwilkin
27-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone,
I've had 2 shoulder recons - 1 on my left in Feb 2006 & May 2006 & BOTH are still really loose. I just had cortisone shots into my left on Friday, & today it feels unreal - still a little bit of discomfort but nothing compared to what it was previously.

My questions for anybody who can help is that my ortho has told me both my shoulders are still really loose (congential disorder) & that further surgery is not an option as they will still be loose & I'll most likely loose my range of movement. Is this correct? I can still sublux my right by myself - great party trick, & my left I can't do but my ortho can pop it out the back. I am doing my physio twice a day (as recommended)

When I had the surgery on my left I had a bankart tear, SLAP tear & the ortho said he used anchors - but I had a plain xray on friday & there was nothing (which my sports physician thought was weird!)

On my right did capsular shift & fixed some labrum tears etc.

Has anybody been told by there ortho "I just don't know what to do?" It is very disheartning & the thing is he is suppose to be one of the best surgeons in QLD!

My Sports Physician is great - he's the only one that is ordering more tests for me to have done - MRI beginning of Dec to see what is really going on with my left.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mary

Hi there Mary,

I can understand your frustrations. Like you, I suffer from multi-directional instability. In September 2003 I had the left shoulder stabilised and has worked wonders. It is no longer unstable. I am due to have the other shoulder stabilised shortly.

A lot of orthopods don't really understand loose ligaments very well, which sounds like what you may have as well. I suffer from loose ligaments and have had joint instability with both knees, left ankle and both shoulders. Luckily I've had good orthopods that understand loose ligaments and have operated accordingly. It sounds a bit strange that they didn't say anything to you before you had your shoulders operated. That's often one of the first things they test for if you're looking at any type of joint surgery.

I'm in Melbourne and have a great shoulder surgeon called John Salmon. He's operated on some of the AFL footballers and will only operate if absolutely necessary. Let me know if you want his contact details. It may be worth coming down to see him, particularly if you are really struggling and not getting anywhere far.

Good luck and let us know how you go !

Mary
12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi,
The OS did tell me that I had a congenitive disorder & very loose ligaments. In the left especially, I had a SLAP tear, labrum torn top & bottom & had the dissovable anchors put in - 6 in each shoulder. The OS told me he can still sublux both shoulders out the back & that they are still very unstable. He is hoping that rehab is going to tighten them - that I'm not holding my breath with!! The sad thing is this OS is suppose to be the best in Brisbane!

No one can give me a LONG TERM treatment plan- this sports physician i'm seeing is really good in ordering the MRI to see what is going on, but I'm at the stage where I am getting really disheartened - I'm only 23 & taking all these pain killers & anti-inflams.....

The OS is really apprehensive in going back in & tightening things up - he said that I will loose range of movemement & still be unstable?? Any one else had this problem????

Thanks
Mary

kjwilkin
12-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi,
The OS did tell me that I had a congenitive disorder & very loose ligaments. In the left especially, I had a SLAP tear, labrum torn top & bottom & had the dissovable anchors put in - 6 in each shoulder. The OS told me he can still sublux both shoulders out the back & that they are still very unstable. He is hoping that rehab is going to tighten them - that I'm not holding my breath with!! The sad thing is this OS is suppose to be the best in Brisbane!

No one can give me a LONG TERM treatment plan- this sports physician i'm seeing is really good in ordering the MRI to see what is going on, but I'm at the stage where I am getting really disheartened - I'm only 23 & taking all these pain killers & anti-inflams.....

The OS is really apprehensive in going back in & tightening things up - he said that I will loose range of movemement & still be unstable?? Any one else had this problem????

Thanks
Mary

Hi Mary,

If I was you I'd get another opinion from a good shoulder surgeon. Have you thought of coming down to Melbourne to see someone ? My shoulder surgeon, John Salmon is very good with shoulder instability. I've had the left one operated on and had no problems. I'm probably going to get the other one done early next year.

My joints are very mobile and John said they'd be risk it could go out the other side. However, I've done really well and have no problems at all now. Let me know if you want John Salmon's contact details.

Let me know how you get on.

Mary
24-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi,
thank you for all your help. Can I get John Salmon's details from you?? I think it has come to the stage where i do need to travel for a second opinion!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mary

kjwilkin
24-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi,
thank you for all your help. Can I get John Salmon's details from you?? I think it has come to the stage where i do need to travel for a second opinion!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mary

Hi Mary,

John Salmon's contact number is (03) 9415 7622. He is away all of January, but his staff will still be there to make appointments for when he comes back.

It may also be worth seeing another sports physician in Melbourne. Chris Bradshaw and Andrew Jowett are both very good at Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre. The contact number for Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre is (03) 9427 0366. I'm trying to avoid having surgery on my right shoulder for multi-directional instability. Chris and Andrew have been working closely together to work out the best option for me. Last Monday I had a shoulder hydrodilitation injection and has worked wonders so far. I've even got normal movement patterns, which is just amazing !!!

Have a very merry christmas and happy new year ! Let's hope it's a better year in 2007 for us both.

Let me know how you go !

Mary
24-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Things couldn't happen at a better time - all around Xmas & New Year when everyone takes holidays! Doesn't matter - January/Fabruary will come soon enough. I will try & contact Dr Salmon in the New Year.

QUick questions, what is a shoulder hydrodilitation injection - is that corisone with narcain in it??

Have a great Xmas & New Year. Take care

Mary