PDA

View Full Version : Expert advice wanted please. :)

Snowstorm
01-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Is an x-ray always a good indicator of a shoulder AC injury? I mean should a doctor rely on that alone?

Since this kind of injury is ligament related, I can't understand why my doctor won't run an MRI on my shoulder. According to him, the x-rays show no sign of injury. But I read somewhere that if the x-ray isn't done properly the injury sometimes won't be indicated in this way - the weight has to be attached, suspended from the wrist, not held, is that right? I was asked to hold the weight in my hand when the x-ray was taken. I'm convinced that the x-ray isn't any good in diagnosing the problem because any fool looking at my shoulders would immediately know that I had an injury. You can see the bloody thing sticking out a mile. I had to press my doctor for x-rays and after harassing him umpteen times, I finally got him to submit. But he feels vindicated now because (or so he says) the x-ray shows no sign of injury.

So any experts out there, please help me out here. Is an x-ray always the best indicator of this kind of injury? Common sense tells me it isn't because this is obviously ligament related.

As time goes on this injury is getting worse. It's now aching when I lift my arms over my head and the joints clicks like mad.

Nicholas
02-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Get the shoulder scanned. If you want to see a new doctor then I can still help you even though I'm over on the other side of the world. I've heard about a clinic in London called "Pure Sports Medicine Centre". I'm not sure of their contact details though.

kjwilkin
02-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Is an x-ray always a good indicator of a shoulder AC injury? I mean should a doctor rely on that alone?

Since this kind of injury is ligament related, I can't understand why my doctor won't run an MRI on my shoulder. According to him, the x-rays show no sign of injury. But I read somewhere that if the x-ray isn't done properly the injury sometimes won't be indicated in this way - the weight has to be attached, suspended from the wrist, not held, is that right? I was asked to hold the weight in my hand when the x-ray was taken. I'm convinced that the x-ray isn't any good in diagnosing the problem because any fool looking at my shoulders would immediately know that I had an injury. You can see the bloody thing sticking out a mile. I had to press my doctor for x-rays and after harassing him umpteen times, I finally got him to submit. But he feels vindicated now because (or so he says) the x-ray shows no sign of injury.

So any experts out there, please help me out here. Is an x-ray always the best indicator of this kind of injury? Common sense tells me it isn't because this is obviously ligament related.

As time goes on this injury is getting worse. It's now aching when I lift my arms over my head and the joints clicks like mad.

Hi there,

Are you currently going to a GP ? If so, they rarely order the appropriate scans. If I was you I'd go and see a good sports physician who can order the appropriate scans and give you an accurate diagnosis. If in London there's a great sports medicine clinic called Pure Sports Medicine. I was a patient there when I lived in London for a couple of years. Check their web page out at www.puresportsmed.com If you don't live in London then give them a call to know if they know of any good sports physicians in your area.

X-rays generally aren't that useful and a lot of damage won't show up. A MRI will show you tissue, ligament and tendon damage as well.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Snowstorm
02-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks Nicholas and kjwilkin for the clinic details. Yes, I live in London not far from the clinic itself. I'd never come across it despite scouring the net for chiropractors and physios. I'll ring them first thing Monday, and hopefully somebody there will be able to get to the bottom of this problem.

:)