PDA

View Full Version : AC joint surgury pain

Disciple
28-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi, I had surgury to "reduce and stabilise" the damage to my AC joint 6 days ago, and whilst in most ways the post surgery pain is 100% better, ATM I am attempting to cope the afternoon without any sort of pain releif at all! This is fine, makes feel a little tender, but I think it worth it after the hammering my system has had from all the relentless painkillers over the last week.
The main problem I have is at night. The last 2 nights i barely slept at all. Even with the help of numerous pain killers and anti inflamitories.

Can any one reccomend some tips for sleeping after this surgery?

earlier in the week I could at least take some endone and fall alsleep till it wore off in 2.5 hours or so. ATM it seems to not be working, and even though the pain is not really bad, it is more like discomfort and prevents me from sleeping (even with endone).

exhausted !

Mary
29-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi, I know your frustration well - I've had 2 reconstructions - 1 on the left & 1 on the right this year. I will be totally honest, what your doing with trying to hang out till night to take painkillers is probably not the best thing to be doing.

I know for me, for probably the first 1-14 days post op (even up to 3 weeks for my first shoulder), I was taking pain meds regularly - not necessarily the full dosage, but enough to keep it at bay even though I wasn't in an extreme amount of pain.

I don't know what it is about night - that's when the pain goes through the roof! All I would suggest is that maybe mimimise your dosages (instead of 2 tablets every 4-6 hrs, take 1) & keep the pain down for the night time. This worked for me, & I was able to get some sleep- & you won't be on them for a long time - the amazes me how the body recovers so quick - after watching the DVD the surgeon gave me on what they did!!

Good luck!

Mary

plucs
10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi, I had surgury to "reduce and stabilise" the damage to my AC joint 6 days ago, and whilst in most ways the post surgery pain is 100% better, ATM I am attempting to cope the afternoon without any sort of pain releif at all! This is fine, makes feel a little tender, but I think it worth it after the hammering my system has had from all the relentless painkillers over the last week.
The main problem I have is at night. The last 2 nights i barely slept at all. Even with the help of numerous pain killers and anti inflamitories.

Can any one reccomend some tips for sleeping after this surgery?

exhausted !

I never want to go through that pain again.

Stack pillows so your head has a rest. Put a boomerang pillow on top and use it to support your arms like an arm rest.

Disciple
11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Now 3 weeks out and still not sleeping well but it is improving. No Pain really, I just wake up uncomfortable a couple of times a night.

Im no longer taking anything for pain relief.

Early on I found The mountain of pillows with support for elbow of damaged shoulder helped with night time comfort, and sitting up through the day with lower back support was best.

Now to sleep I have just one pillow with another lower pillow alongside supporting shoulder and arm. This seems the best allthough as mentioned above I still dont sleep great.

Had my first followup with the surgeon today, he was happy with progress. Still have compulsory sling for 3 more weeks, but can at least remove it to shower / dress.

Collar bone is now 5mm over reduced, according to plan this will sort itself out when physio begins.

overall - happy, just frustrated that the injury happened at all, so much of what I love to do rely's on healthy shoulders!

ellen_2006
11-01-2007, 04:44 PM
hi disciple, its great u are doin well at this stage. how does the shoulder look now?
and what sport were you doing ?

Disciple
11-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Shoulder looks normal besides the scar. Maybe a little swollen still. Still appears to have the bulk but not the muscle definition that it used to have. Took my sling off for the first time tonight. Only to swap to a clean one and do some light ROM exercises.

Certainly no eviidence of the "bump" remaining.

I did it dive rolling at Bujinkan Training, a school of martial arts. I Basically just stuffed up, and I think instinctively sacrificed my arm to save my shoulder, and still transferred a lot of force through my arm to the shoulder and dislocated the AC and "buttonholed" the cartilage on the end of the clavicle. My instructor, who is a good mate of mine has also suffered this injury the same way, I was very conscious of the possibility of this occuring if anything went wrong and hence was very carefull not to impact my shoulder directly if I got out of shape, it seems I didnt do enough to save it !

Went to training tonight to watch and show war wounds, It was very nice to get out of the house I can tell you!!

Disciple
26-02-2007, 11:27 AM
quick update ...

now at about week 10 or so,

I can sleep normally, and even find myself rolling over the injured side without much discomfort.
injured shoulder looks normal, save for being very small compared to the other side, lots of muscle wastage.
The main problem is weakness and muscle pain / fatigue from trying to use it normally and daily physio.
Ive been doing physio for about 3 weeks and improvements in strength and ROM have come quickly.

I'm told I should get back to scuba diving in a month or two, light Kendo training about the same time. Heavy lifting and Bujinkan training will be 3 or 4 months at least though.

It really depends on how hard I work to put back the muscle that has wasted.

Matt