PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait?

leah.hughes
11-01-2007, 12:50 AM
First timer here! I have a level 3 sep. I am a weight lifting instuctor and a cycleist. I was just told by a surgone that he now recommends the surgury b/c it's been 3 months and I am back to normal activity but my shoulder pain seams to be getting worse not better. It has improved so much from the injury but now I can't do anything with my right arm for more that a min or two w/out exhaustion. Has anyone heard of a plate being placed on top of your color bone with a drop in the plate on the end that holds your shoulder up where it should be? then they repair the tendons and ligaments. take the plate out after a year or so? this is new I guess and holds the original stucture of your shoulder together so the lig. and tendons heal. I have 2 days to make this desission b/c on insureance reasons. they only covered me for 90 days. This is day 98. I don't want to make a bad desicion just over the $ though. Does anyone know the costs on this?
Thanks,
Leah

ellen_2006
11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
which surgeon are you going with? make sure you get the very very best shoulde surgeons. i have been informed the best in sydney are bokor, goldberg and sonnabend. i think you are doing fine if you are back to normal activity within 3 months. it takes 4 to 6 months for scar tissue to form, so after that period you should see some improvement. its a difficult decision. the other thing is that if you were to have the operation, it should have been within 7 days of when the injury actually occurred. operation will not be as successful after that time.

cwb
11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Hello from Canada. I'm 45 yrs old and have gone through about 12 surgerys in my life. Five so far on my left shoulder, four on the AC joint. Actually two were to fix it and two were for removing screws. After the second time and proper healing time(one year), it has been great..at least for the AC joint. If pain is persistant and there is a tear or separation, it's my experience that surgery is the only choice. Do your research on procedures related to your injury. It's all on the net.

plucs
12-01-2007, 07:48 AM
the other thing is that if you were to have the operation, it should have been within 7 days of when the injury actually occurred. operation will not be as successful after that time.

There is no known optimal time to get this operation done. I believe the advantage to immediate surgey is that it takes at least 3 months to recover from the onset of the injury, and at least that time to recover from surgery.

ellen_2006
12-01-2007, 07:32 PM
plucs, where did you get that information from? i was informed by Dr Goldberg that operations are more successful on a fresh wound. i hope u are right because i am going to wait one year to see how mine heals up.

also.. i am wondering when they will have it as an arthroscopic technique rather than an open surgery.