PDA

View Full Version : Totally Befuddled and desperate

tnka
11-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I have a 20 year old Daughter and since she was 15 we have been going from pillar to post with dealing with shoulder problems. Diagnosed as unstable shoulder and having started by seeing local physios, gps, chiros, we then graduated to sports physicians, Lyn Watson (guru physio) Greg Hoy - surgeon (he just said don't worry I don't see 60 year olds in here with this) and no one can offer any help. She managed to get some relief 12 months ago with change of physio but has begun hairdressing and is in excrutiating pain that has led to her taking many weeks off from her training (she is gaining 100% with theory and committed to her exercise regime). She was told the other day that she should not do h/dressing. This will mean she has given up both her hockey and her future career. I just can't believe that something cannot be done has anyone else experienced any similar situation? We just don't know where to turn, she is a mess and I'm not quite sure how she stays as motivated as she does. The hardest part is every time we try a new avenue with a positive attitude another door closes, surely there are other options. So far I estimate we have spent about $4,000.00 on treatment and consultations and I am pretty disillusioned. If anyone else has had a similar experience that has had a positive putcome I would love to know about it. I have made appointment for her to see Chris Bradshaw GP next week, we can only hope one day someone will be able to offer assistance. Problem is now that it is ahrd to have faith that something may actually benefit! So far no one has done anything except MRI (nothing definitive), maybe arthroscope or cortisone-I just don't know, would appreciate feedback.
Thanks

kjwilkin
12-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I have a 20 year old Daughter and since she was 15 we have been going from pillar to post with dealing with shoulder problems. Diagnosed as unstable shoulder and having started by seeing local physios, gps, chiros, we then graduated to sports physicians, Lyn Watson (guru physio) Greg Hoy - surgeon (he just said don't worry I don't see 60 year olds in here with this) and no one can offer any help. She managed to get some relief 12 months ago with change of physio but has begun hairdressing and is in excrutiating pain that has led to her taking many weeks off from her training (she is gaining 100% with theory and committed to her exercise regime). She was told the other day that she should not do h/dressing. This will mean she has given up both her hockey and her future career. I just can't believe that something cannot be done has anyone else experienced any similar situation? We just don't know where to turn, she is a mess and I'm not quite sure how she stays as motivated as she does. The hardest part is every time we try a new avenue with a positive attitude another door closes, surely there are other options. So far I estimate we have spent about $4,000.00 on treatment and consultations and I am pretty disillusioned. If anyone else has had a similar experience that has had a positive putcome I would love to know about it. I have made appointment for her to see Chris Bradshaw GP next week, we can only hope one day someone will be able to offer assistance. Problem is now that it is ahrd to have faith that something may actually benefit! So far no one has done anything except MRI (nothing definitive), maybe arthroscope or cortisone-I just don't know, would appreciate feedback.
Thanks

Hi there,

I understand how frustrated you must be at the moment. My sports physician, Chris Bradshaw who your daughter is seeing next week is very good. He has an unstable shoulder himself so really understands the frustrations. I have multi-directional instability in both shoulders. I had the left shoulder operated on about 3 years ago and haven't had any problems since. I'm currently trying to work out if I'll have the other shoulder done. Chris loves a challenge !!!

At Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre I see a fantastic shoulder physio called Ian Macindoe. It turns out that I also have a tight upper back that was contributing to my problems but didn't really know about it.

My shoulder surgeon is John Salmon and is very good. Maybe you could see about getting a second opinion from him. He's very conservative and won't operate if necessary.

A couple of years ago I also started pilates which has made a big difference. I do a lot of strengthening work around my shoulders.

Let us know how you daughter gets on with Chris Bradshaw.