PDA

View Full Version : Supplements for muslce/tendon injuries

angieliu
18-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi there,

I just wonder if any of you have tried taking supplements like magnesium, or glucosamine after sustaining an injury and if it has been of any benefit?

I normally take magnesium when I know that I may have worked out too hard at the gym but I'd be interested to see if it has any benefits in assisting the healing process when you have a fresh injury.

A

hopeful
20-01-2007, 05:54 PM
i have tried neither tho i will be buying some glucosamine soon to see how it goes. I have heard that fresh celery juice is also good for joints. friend of mine swears that it relieves her of arthritic hip pain and therefore avoiding a hip replacement.

angieliu
21-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I haven't tried glucosamine before so I'd be interested to see what you think of it. I have heard from a friend who takes it that it really helps but I suspect that it would be more the anti-inflammatory part (MSM) rather than glucosamine. Will keep the fresh celery joice in mind though.

gita1066
22-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Hi, I have carpal tunnel syndrome and find taking glucosamine and also 1tsp of MSM a day and Vitalzym Enzymes helps a lot.

Sergei Iljukov
25-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Ow my god.......pure patients. Havent you thought about eating fecals? Maybe will help? Glucosamine and curple tunnel syndrome:) That really fun:)

hopeful
25-01-2007, 07:10 AM
whats a fecal?

angieliu
25-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes, what's a fecal??

jellybean
25-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I believe Sergei is being a touch sarcastic (understatement). He is asking whether you have thought about eating fecal matter (or in other words, poo!) to solve your problems and, I understand, is ridiculing the use of glucosamine/chondroitin as a treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome.

These comments are not really appropriate for this Forum. People here are generally trying to find real solutions for real problems, sarcasm and crudeness doesn't help.

N.B. Chondroitin/glucosamine supplements are generally used, for example, by people who have arthritis or, perhaps, who are at risk of developing arthritis. It is supposed to help assist the growth of or nourish articular cartilage and, in doing so, help reduce joint pain. (There is actually clinical evidence to suggest that certain dosages - 1500mg per day from memory - are useful). I have certainly found it useful in my case (Grade 3 chondral defect/Grade 2+ osteoarthritis in knee). In terms of it's use for other conditions, my theory is - if it works, use it!!

angieliu
29-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree these sort of comments are really not appropriate for this forum.

pumbertot
03-02-2007, 11:45 PM
after years of heavy powerlifting/weightlifting i have very sore knees(amongst other injuries). I always rake glucosamine(1gm per day). How do I know it works? Well if I stop taking it, 5 days later my knees are sore again while climbing stairs. Yeah it works be by anti-inflammatory or tendon regrowth. However even while taking ibuprofen or diclofenac the pain is still there when Iam off Glucosamine.

angieliu
05-02-2007, 01:11 PM
That's really interesting to hear that you think that glucosamine can help particularly with tendon regrowth. I know that it can be helpful as an anti inflammatory because most glucosamine tablets also contain MSM.