PDA

View Full Version : A.C ligament damage need some help PLEASE!!!!

Connell
16-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi there people. Basically about 2 months ago i injured my shoulder and went to the hospital to be told it was A.C ligament damage. They also told me it was a grade 2. It really hurt 4 about 2 weeks and felt v.weak 4 a while. I took the sling off after 2 weeks but the joint was weak. Gradually it is getting better and i am now back working doing my apprenticeship. My problem is i'm 18 years old and a rugby player lol. I play club level but am also hopefully getting international honours this year for Scotand u'18's. Witht this happening it has put doubt in my mind! Basically i have informed my club but not my international selectors. I have over the past few weeks tried pressups and am able 2 do them but my injured shoulder feels a bit vulnerable. Literally 1 hour ago i was trying my weights and my shoulder can take the same weights as i put on my good shoulder. I'm looking to get back to my club as soon as possible. And am wondering should I? And also, what should i protect my shoulder with if i am going back to rugby? Really need some guidance as my parents feel i should rest it for longer??? Thanks

angieliu
16-02-2007, 09:12 AM
To be honest, if you want your shoulder to heal you need to take a break from all weight bearing activities. I should have done that when I hurt my shoulder and I basically rested it for 2 months and then got straight back into things. BAD idea because the muscles were left weak and no matter how hard I used to work out using weights to regain that muscle it didn't work. Now I am taking 6 months out from dancing to give my shoulder a rest which is exactly what I should have done when I first injured it.

I have only just being going to the physio for about a month now and have an exercise program which is to work on the muscles. In terms of protecting the shoulder, my first physio suggested strapping my shoulder to keep it more stable. I bought a shoulder support brace which has been helpful to stop my shoulder from over extending but that's about it.It's more there as an aesthetic thing to remind me to be careful.

To be honest, I would actually go first to see a sports doctor and then see a physio to try to strengthen the muscles around the ac joint. As I have found with ligament damage the best thing to do is to try to strengthen the muscles around it so that it can start to heal. Depending on where you are, I'm sure that someone here in the forum can recommend a good physio or sports doctor.

hopeful
17-02-2007, 10:05 AM
if you are already 18, i dont see how you can make an under 18s team??? or have you not told the selectors that??

anyway, about your shoulder, you should wait about 12 weeks altogether before you start weights. i would say give it some rehab time.

when you say it feels vulnerable, do yo umean that it feels unstable???

kjwilkin
17-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi there people. Basically about 2 months ago i injured my shoulder and went to the hospital to be told it was A.C ligament damage. They also told me it was a grade 2. It really hurt 4 about 2 weeks and felt v.weak 4 a while. I took the sling off after 2 weeks but the joint was weak. Gradually it is getting better and i am now back working doing my apprenticeship. My problem is i'm 18 years old and a rugby player lol. I play club level but am also hopefully getting international honours this year for Scotand u'18's. Witht this happening it has put doubt in my mind! Basically i have informed my club but not my international selectors. I have over the past few weeks tried pressups and am able 2 do them but my injured shoulder feels a bit vulnerable. Literally 1 hour ago i was trying my weights and my shoulder can take the same weights as i put on my good shoulder. I'm looking to get back to my club as soon as possible. And am wondering should I? And also, what should i protect my shoulder with if i am going back to rugby? Really need some guidance as my parents feel i should rest it for longer??? Thanks

Hi there,

It sounds like you really need to get your injury properly diagnosed and get a good treatment plan in place. I can't stress how important that is. Once you have a plan in place you'll feel a lot better about it.

There is a great sports medicine clinic in London called Pure Sports Medicine. They provide medical support to a number of rugby clubs throughout the UK. If you are unable to get to London I'd suggest ringing them to see if they know of any good sports physicians or physios in Scotland. Their phone number is 0870 2000 878.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

hopeful
19-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Im due to see Seamas Dalton on 9th April. Lets see what he has to say. Anyone had any experience with him?