PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injury torn labrum bankart lesion

kerimo
14-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Hello All,

I am new to ths site and I found it very useful for people like us. I have dislocated my shoulder during snowboarding bak in 2003 and then referred to Goldberg. He told me to have an operation and I didt want it.

Since then I had 5-6 more dislocations. Last one I had was 4 weeks ago which was quite severe I had to go to hospital for reduction.

After that i booked with Dr. Bokor (i hope he is good) he said I am most likely to get an operation and he needs to decide whether keyhole or open method he will use. So he told me to gt MRI and I will see him today about the results.

MRI results say that I have torn labrum, hill sachs lesion and few other minor things. Do you think I need an operation? Is there no other way?

I am very anxious about surgery, I have never done any operation before. Is there any way I can relax myself. even the thought of it is killing me.

please help!
thanks
kerim

kerimo
14-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Just came back from Bokor's clinic and he told me that I only have labral tear. He said I can do physio but he offered arthoscopic surgery. Should I go ahead with the operation?

I am very anxious about the operation.

thanks

angieliu
14-03-2007, 05:52 PM
There was a recent study in arthroscopy where researchers did a study on conservative treatments vs surgery with shoulder dislocations and it showed that people who went with conservative treatments dislocated their shoulders more than once after the initial injury and those who had surgery had less problems.

My understanding of shoulder surgery with this type of injury is to really stabilise the shoulder joint and if you have dislocated it a number of times they recommend surgery. I know that the idea of open shoulder surgery is very scary and the shoulder is very complex. I would speak to Des Bokor about the results and see what he recommends. With my shoulder they said I might need surgery because they suspected a tear in the labrum when I had my shoulder injury but I continued to insist on conservative treatment. The MRI didn't show a tear which did not tell me anything despite suffering from global shoulder instability. So I have opted for conservative treatment in and exercise rehab program. I am going to see Seamus Dalton (also in Sydney) next week so I'm hoping he can help further with why I have shoulder instability if there was no sign of a tear.

Have a look at the research which has been done. There are a couple of articles on this site you can have a look at and if you search in Google Scholar you should be able to find more about treatment options for Bankhart lesions.

You might also consider a second opinion or even go back to see Jerome Goldberg since he saw you with the first injury.

I hope this helps

Angie

angieliu
14-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Just came back from Bokor's clinic and he told me that I only have labral tear. He said I can do physio but he offered arthoscopic surgery. Should I go ahead with the operation?

I am very anxious about the operation.

thanks

I would try conservative treatment first with rehab and trial it for three months. Then if you do not see any improvement then reconsider arthoscopic surgery. My physio is trained in manipulative physiotherapy and also clinical pilates which has helped me a great deal.

kerimo
14-03-2007, 07:41 PM
So there is hope. Do you think after that period I will be able to swim properly, dive and play golf?

Would you be able to recommend a very good physio in sydney cbd preferably?

thanks

angieliu
15-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Hey there,

When I was looking for a physio JB recommended Joel Werman in North Sydney (02 9955 8766) who spe******es in shoulders. I think there is another place you could try the sydney shoulder clinic ( 02 9744 6133 ) They are in Burwood. I would suggest that you give them both a call and see what feeling you get from them but I'd probably try to see Joel Werman because he has come highly recommended and may be more experienced. I am currently seeing a physio at the AIS who is fantastic and JB recommended my physio so I take JB's recommendation quick highly.

As for swimming and diving, I think that in the long term you should be able to return to swimming and diving. I do a bit of diving and have not had any problems but my injuries are quite old. Swimming didn't bother me too much but I hear that it can flare up if your rotator cuff is inflammed. But I would strongly recommend that you just rest the shoulder, do not do any weight bearing things and try to use you uninjured shoulder as much as possible for at least 4-6 weeks and then see how you feel. I should of really started treatment straight away for my shoulder injuries because it is easier to treat when the injury is new but I decided to leave it.

Hope this helps. Btw did Bokor recommend a physio?

A

kerimo
15-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Thank you for the valuable information Angieliu. Dr. Bokor said I only have labral tear and a very minor hills sachs lesion. He told me that i could try physio but it is likely to dislocate again. He suggested to go thorough the operation. But rehab takes forever. he said 5 weeks in a sling. 5 months no driving manual car and so on.
I don't know what to do. I am not very active in sports. I used to swim, snorkel dive and play casual soccer, go to driving range. If physio would really ensure that i wont get dislocations doing these activities then why go trough all the hassle oof operation and rehab.

What's your opinion?

thanks

kerimo
15-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I decided to go with the operation. I dont care how anxious i get, i want to get over and done with this thing. I booked in for 19th of April in Hills Private by Dr. Bokor.

Wish me luck...

kerim

kjwilkin
15-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I decided to go with the operation. I dont care how anxious i get, i want to get over and done with this thing. I booked in for 19th of April in Hills Private by Dr. Bokor.

Wish me luck...

kerim

Hi there,

I think you've done the right thing. At least it will fix it and you can get on with the rehab.

Good luck !!

angieliu
15-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Thank you for the valuable information Angieliu. Dr. Bokor said I only have labral tear and a very minor hills sachs lesion. He told me that i could try physio but it is likely to dislocate again. He suggested to go thorough the operation. But rehab takes forever. he said 5 weeks in a sling. 5 months no driving manual car and so on.
I don't know what to do. I am not very active in sports. I used to swim, snorkel dive and play casual soccer, go to driving range. If physio would really ensure that i wont get dislocations doing these activities then why go trough all the hassle oof operation and rehab.

What's your opinion?

thanks

Hi kerimo,

I'm glad that you have decided to go with surgery I think that it is a good idea with this instance. Given the research which I find quite convincing about those who sought conservative treatment had more dislocations, surgery is a good option. I don't think that physio can ensure that you won't get dislocations, physio will really work on strengthening the shoulder muscles.

I know that you are apprehensive about surgery and the long rehab time but if you think of it this way that it can ensure that you won't have dislocations after it given you have dislocatedyour shoulder so many times.. It's a good thing. :)

Take care and keep us posted.

A

kerimo
21-04-2007, 12:03 PM
hello All

I have had my arthoscopic shoulder operation 2 days ago. I was discharged the next day. Dr.Bokor confirmed that everything went very well. My rehab starts with shoulder in a sling for 5 weeks. At this stage I'd welcome any suggestions. My pain is manageable without the painkiller but it increases at nights. Also sleeping is almost impossible.

I guess i am on my to a long recovery thatwill take 6 weeks... thought i'd let you guys know...
kerim

kjwilkin
22-04-2007, 10:08 AM
hello All

I have had my arthoscopic shoulder operation 2 days ago. I was discharged the next day. Dr.Bokor confirmed that everything went very well. My rehab starts with shoulder in a sling for 5 weeks. At this stage I'd welcome any suggestions. My pain is manageable without the painkiller but it increases at nights. Also sleeping is almost impossible.

I guess i am on my to a long recovery thatwill take 6 weeks... thought i'd let you guys know...
kerim

Hi there,

I'd suggest you take something before you go to bed at night. It should help with the pain. Once the pain sets in it can be difficult to get it under the control. I find that if I take something before bed it can help manage the pain better and can get it under control.

I'm due to have major shoulder surgery in about 2 weeks. I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks. My rehab will take up to 6 months. I've had the same operation on the other shoulder so I'm prepared for what lies ahead.

All the best for a smooth recovery.