PDA

View Full Version : Is it Serious?

Seth
18-03-2007, 04:14 AM
Hi there,recently I started excercising more regularly, the day after a particularly heavy session of bjj, I woke stiff all over, and I could't raise my left hand, I had no strenght to do front raisers with a dumbell, and I could not keep my left hand straight infront of me (i.e shoulder level), three days later it felt better, now after another bjj class, it has happened again, this time there is no stiffness, just weekness as I raise my arm infront, and I feel the weakness coming from just under the shoulder blade... Has anyone experienced this before? is it just normal shoulder fatigue?

RCheesley
18-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Hello,

It sounds like there may be something going on either muscular, or perhaps affecting a nerve supplying your arm/shoulder muscles. There are some basic tests which a physiotherapist could do to identify if you have a muscle tear or nerve problem, the way you describe it may indicate a muscle problem which is being aggrevated by your training regime.

Certainly sounds like something you might want to get checked out anyway, it could be a problem with one of your rotator cuff muscles. There's lots of articles on shoulder injuries and rehabilitation here (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/shoulder_injuries.htm), you might find them useful in terms of identifying what structures you could have hurt.

Regards,

Ruth

needshelp
18-03-2007, 05:48 AM
hello
i agree with the person above that it could be something with your muscle
if i was you i wouldn't bjj so much at one time intil your muscles can handle it

Seth
19-03-2007, 09:52 PM
I went to the doctor today, reckon that the muscle holding the scapula to the back of the ribcage is ripped and has referred to an ortha pedic shoulder speciaist, any advice? He said that he doesn't know if it is a permanent injury if I have to live with a detached scapula (i called it detached not a medical term!!!)... Any advice while a wait for my nhs referral?:rolleyes:

kjwilkin
20-03-2007, 05:44 PM
I went to the doctor today, reckon that the muscle holding the scapula to the back of the ribcage is ripped and has referred to an ortha pedic shoulder speciaist, any advice? He said that he doesn't know if it is a permanent injury if I have to live with a detached scapula (i called it detached not a medical term!!!)... Any advice while a wait for my nhs referral?:rolleyes:

Hi there,

Before seeing an orthopaedic surgeon I strongly suggest you see a good sports physician.

There is a really good sports medicine clinic in London called Pure Sports Medicine. I was a patient there for a couple of years. Let me know if you want the details.

It really annoys me when GPs will send you straight to a surgeon.

Good luck !!:)

Seth
20-03-2007, 08:53 PM
My main limit at the moment is affordibility... but no harm in asking give me the details...

Thanks alot

kjwilkin
21-03-2007, 07:29 PM
My main limit at the moment is affordibility... but no harm in asking give me the details...

Thanks alot

The number for Pure Sports Medicine is 0870 2000 878. Their website is www.puresportsmed

If you mention your circumstances I'm sure they'd be happy to help. When I lived in the UK I couldn't afford the full fee to see my sports physician, so they charged me half his fee.

You're much better off seeing someone good rather than going through the NHS and not knowing who you'll get.