PDA

View Full Version : do i have an AC separation?

needshelp
18-03-2007, 05:30 AM
hey,
i am a softball player and for the last couple of weeks my arm has been killing me.
My mother is an x-ray tect and she thinks that it might be an AC separation i was looking this up on the internet and i have some of the symptoms like a loud poping noise when i move my arm and tenderness if i push at the tipp of my shoulder, but i dont have the main symptom of a bumb on the top of my shoulder or bruising. Can i still have an AC separation?

hopeful
18-03-2007, 05:45 AM
yes, its called a grade 1 or a a mild ac separation.

RCheesley
18-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Hello,

If you only recently hurt the AC area it might not have swelled yet, indeed some do not swell massively anyway.

One test you can do is called the "scarfe test" which is if you raise your arm in front of you, and bring it across the body as if the inside of your elbow was to touch the opposite shoulder. This is usually pretty painful if the ACJ is injured.

This page (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/shoulder/acjoint.htm) gives a bit of information on the condition, as well as demonstrating the taping technique to support the joint, but you should seek some attention as an injury to this joint can cause further problems in the shoulder. Also note that there are different levels of severity of AC injuries which you can read about further on about.com's informative page here (http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/shouldersurgery/a/separation.htm)

Hope this helps!

Ruth

needshelp
18-03-2007, 06:09 AM
thx you guys
if anyone else has any other information plz contct me

Danny
18-03-2007, 08:20 AM
hey,
i am a softball player and for the last couple of weeks my arm has been killing me.
My mother is an x-ray tect and she thinks that it might be an AC separation i was looking this up on the internet and i have some of the symptoms like a loud poping noise when i move my arm and tenderness if i push at the tipp of my shoulder, but i dont have the main symptom of a bumb on the top of my shoulder or bruising. Can i still have an AC separation?

Unusual to have an AC joint joint separation without a traumatic incident (e.g falling on point of shoulder)

If you are a regular thrower I would be looking more at a rotator cuff and or labral injury. A good physical assessment will nut this out for you.

needshelp
18-03-2007, 09:44 AM
thx danny
i forgot to say before that my shoulder has been hurt for a long time but i can't remember if i suffered a blow to it
only in the past couple of weeks it has gottin really bad

grebnehtor
20-03-2007, 05:37 AM
I have the exact same separations. I think they may be shoulder separations. My shoulder does click as well. Let me know how things are going with this.