PDA

View Full Version : Long head bicep rupture

eamons1
07-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Hi,
about a month ago I ruptured the long head bicep of my right arm whilst lifting a reverse weight. After an MRI and confirmation that the bicep had ruptured completly I have had mixed views for and against surgery. My physiotherapist and doctor have advised me that if I don't have surgery it could leave me with weakness in the arm. However, my surgeon gave me a steriod injection into the humerous and informed me that the reattachment of this muscle is only cosmetic and the short head bicep will enable me to get back to maximum strength. I have a month to decide what to do, but I am still concerned that if I don't have the muscle reattached I will not be able or capable of training to my current levels in the years to come.
Is there anyone who has had this injury or can comment , advise.
Regards .. Eamon.

Mischap123
07-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Haven't had the injury but seen it at work. Things to consider...
1) Biceps (bi meaning 2 bits of muscle) - one gone and getting back to full strength - unlikely, especially if you're training heaps.
2) If you are young and active - I'd get it done. More traumatic short term but potentially better long term.
3) If you are mature and have a sedentary job then don't bother on an op.
Best of luck in your decision

kjwilkin
08-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Eamon,

I'd be guided by your physio and doctor. There is no replacement for professional advice.

You'll be better off in the long term.

Good luck in making your decison !

eamons1
10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your advice guys.....
Eamon.