PDA

View Full Version : AC Joint Sprain

grebnehtor
13-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I have come to the conclusion that my main problem is an AC joint sprain. Has anyone had this happen to them? The doc says two months of reduced pressure on AC joint. He says if that does not work, the I will need a resection! Any comments on my situation now?

hopeful
13-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I suggest you put up with the pain as sooner or later it will cease. AC joint injuries can be really frustrating as they take sooo long to heal. I know someone in the same shoes as you and he thought his would never heal. But after 8 months he was back to the way he was before. save surgery for later in life in case you get arthritis or bone spurs there, but an ac joint sprain would normally just heal, albeit a long time.

angieliu
13-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I have come to the conclusion that my main problem is an AC joint sprain. Has anyone had this happen to them? The doc says two months of reduced pressure on AC joint. He says if that does not work, the I will need a resection! Any comments on my situation now?

You could consider acupuncture to try to increase the blood flow. Or alternatively there are non steroidal anti inflammatories like Celebrex which is supposed to be very good, or even simplier use a cream like voltarin which will give you some relief. Taking some glucosamine might also be beneficial too.

grebnehtor
14-04-2007, 12:22 AM
The AC joint sprain really makes my shoulder pop. Another thing is when I do the "wax on wax off" maneuver, I get a clicking/ grinding sensation in my injured shoulder. This has gone on for about two weeks so far :-(

hopeful
14-04-2007, 07:42 AM
do u find that the first few movements click, and after it stops clicking?

grebnehtor
14-04-2007, 08:30 AM
I can pretty readily generate the clicking noise by rotating my arm like a screwdriver. If I warm up the shoulder within a workout, the clicking is harder to generate.

angieliu
14-04-2007, 12:17 PM
My understanding with clicking because I have it that if it doesn't hurt then you shouldn't worry too much about it. IF it does cause pain then I would talk to your sports doc about it to find out why.

I always find that if I warm my shoulders up before starting any weights seem to help too. Just be careful with it. If you have a sprain you shouldn't work it too miuch otherwise it won't get a change to rest.

grebnehtor
15-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, It's been about two weeks of Rehab and physical therapy. My doctor put cortisone in my arm two weeks earlier. I touched the bench press a week after my cortisone shot (I should not have) and experienced no pain, but noticed that my AC joint was swelling. The end of my second week of physical therapy/ rehab, I decided to swim and the pain totally came back. I am thinking that I may need to go through with the shoulder AC Joint excision. Any thoughts?

hopeful
15-04-2007, 06:09 PM
does your clavicle actually stick out?

like i said, its not a matter of weeks, its a matter of months. its a long and frustrating road you have in front of you. i would not have taken that cortisone shot to be honest. doctors always push for it but there is no long or medium term benefit to it. just rest it, and as the months go by u will notice improvement and then work your way progressively with the weights.

angieliu
15-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, It's been about two weeks of Rehab and physical therapy. My doctor put cortisone in my arm two weeks earlier. I touched the bench press a week after my cortisone shot (I should not have) and experienced no pain, but noticed that my AC joint was swelling. The end of my second week of physical therapy/ rehab, I decided to swim and the pain totally came back. I am thinking that I may need to go through with the shoulder AC Joint excision. Any thoughts?

My view is that rest is the best kind of medicine. Cortisone injections can be useful for some. I think that the most you can get is 3 before you have to wait a long time. Cortisone is not good for you. Hopeful is very right in that rehab is a lengthy process and you need to rest and persist with rehab. I think that any sort of surgery should be avoided unless totally necessary but that is my opinion.

grebnehtor
15-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I mean, like you guys, I am an athlete, and I have a true passion and love for what I do. It is apart of my life and what you guys are saying is exactly what my doctor says. I suppose that you're right and I'll have to wait months for this thing to die down. My clavicle doesn't stick out in any crazy way, but after some muscular atrophy, I can see a difference in shoulder muscles between the two shoulders. The physical therapist recommended some shoulder exercises, so I guess I'll persist with the exercises that won't irritate my AC joint, but will strengthen my shoulder. This is probably the suckiest injury to ever happen to a swimmer, especially one who aspires to walk on a college athletic team.

angieliu
16-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Well I know how you feel. As a professional dancer, I train a team 3 times a week and dance or teach most nights and since I did my shoulder injury it took me a long time before I realised I had to just slow down and take it easy.. I'm talking like 5 months after I did the injury. So I have pretty much stopped dancing and limited my teaching which is really hard. I miss it so much.

So I know how you feel