PDA

View Full Version : Posterior Dislocation

onearmedbandit
16-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi there...

My left shoulder has been injured for nearly 12 months now. I have had 2 surgeries arthroscopically and have still managed to disclocate posterially.

After many reviews, scans and consultations, I have been diagnosed with a glenoid abnormality which is apparently part of the reason for the recurrent dislocations.

It has been suggested that I proceed to have a glenoid osteotomy to correct the abnormality in the glenoid. I am concerned as this is a fairly uncommon and major surgery with a high failure rate.

I really do not want to undergo another surgery only to find out that it has failed again!

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I have seen 4 different surgeons and the opinion is mixed as to possible treatment options.:confused:

kjwilkin
16-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi there...

My left shoulder has been injured for nearly 12 months now. I have had 2 surgeries arthroscopically and have still managed to disclocate posterially.

After many reviews, scans and consultations, I have been diagnosed with a glenoid abnormality which is apparently part of the reason for the recurrent dislocations.

It has been suggested that I proceed to have a glenoid osteotomy to correct the abnormality in the glenoid. I am concerned as this is a fairly uncommon and major surgery with a high failure rate.

I really do not want to undergo another surgery only to find out that it has failed again!

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I have seen 4 different surgeons and the opinion is mixed as to possible treatment options.:confused:

Hi there,

I can appreciate how frustrated you must be feeling right now. It can be very confusing when you get mixed views on the best course of treatment. I sent you a private message with the name of my spe******t.

Would encourage you to go to someone that spe******es in shoulders. It's also really imporatant to go to a physio that spe******es in shoulders.

I have now got a good rehab program going with clinical pilates, gym work, swimming and walking.

Let us know how you get on.

angieliu
17-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I can understand that you do not want to go through another surgery if you don't have too. I agree with KJ, it's always important to see someone who just works with shoulders and has developed expertise in this area.

There is a great website which I have always found to have useful information called www.shoulderdoc.co.uk. It contains information on surgeries, the latest research and also has info on shoulder conditions. I found that it is always important to understand with injuries because I have had a number of opinions which have varied quite a bit. I have sent you a private message with a link for an article which I think you will be interested in.

A

onearmedbandit
26-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I saw my no1 surgeon today who has recommended I see the PROF and proceed with the bone work. I'm not keen on this surgery but if it is the only solution that will permanently resolve my shoulder issues then I'm all for it.
I'll keep you posted.