PDA

View Full Version : Rehab for injured shoulder

hopeful
20-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Since most of us here have injured our shoulders at some stage, i just want to know, (and for the benefit of other readers), what activity or exercises did youu find best for rehabilitation.

i have a short list with how i felt about them in hindsight. feel free to add or edit:
RUBBER BAND exercises from physio - was really boring. hard to motivate myself to do them.
SWIMMING (breast stroke) - i tried this once but made my shoulder more painful
light weight DUMBELLS - worked really well for me.
YOGA- havent tried but want to try it
PILATES - going to do it next week.
Note: Please dont tell me to see a physio or sports physician as i am interested in your own personal experience. This is for discussion also.:o

angieliu
20-04-2007, 01:42 PM
With my rehab rubber band exercises have been really good and also overall shoulder stabilisation like raises my arm up along the sides, seated row I only use light weights for doing biceps and triceps. A lot of the exercises I am using are very similar to those which you can do on pilates machines. I actually noticed quite a difference within the first 4 weeks with muscles regrowth in my deltoids which was realy great because I was very weak after my injury. With weights I don't go near any weights which are over 2kg because it's too heavy and causes strain on the shoulder capsule. Have totally ruled out using any movements which require me to work my arms when they are above my shoulder.

Yoga is good because it can stretch out the muscle groups which are over compensating the injury. But you have to be careful with certain movements so that you do not over stretch the shoulder capsule. My Osteo is also my yoga teacher and it's been really helpful to have him go in and try to loosen the muscles around my shoulder which are over compensating.

I have tried swimming and my shoulder clunks every time I am doing breast stroke so gave up on that one. I even tried aqua aerobics but I had to be very careful with it.

As for Pilates, my physio is also trained in clinical pilates which is helpful. I'm actually going to start up doing some more work with the pilates machines too. So I'll keep you posted.

mtlbrad
20-04-2007, 03:31 PM
rubber band, weights, but not swimming, it always hurt me too much. Just the motion really aggrivated my shoulder. Also, I consider PT part of rehab. The stretching that the therapist does sometimes can't be replicated by yourself, ie you would need someone to do it for you. Also, heat pads generally seem to really make my shoulder comfortable, especially after stretching.

kjwilkin
22-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Since most of us here have injured our shoulders at some stage, i just want to know, (and for the benefit of other readers), what activity or exercises did youu find best for rehabilitation.

i have a short list with how i felt about them in hindsight. feel free to add or edit:
RUBBER BAND exercises from physio - was really boring. hard to motivate myself to do them.
SWIMMING (breast stroke) - i tried this once but made my shoulder more painful
light weight DUMBELLS - worked really well for me.
YOGA- havent tried but want to try it
PILATES - going to do it next week.
Note: Please dont tell me to see a physio or sports physician as i am interested in your own personal experience. This is for discussion also.:o

Hi there,

I've found clinical pilates to be really helpful. I do it about twice a week and find it really relaxing too. Pilates is a better option than Yoga as it helps to strengthen the major joints and the muscles around your joints.

In terms of swimming breast stroke is probably not the best option. Have you tried freestyle ? I've found that swimming really helps me. I have small hand paddles and flippers which helps to put less stress on my shoulder.

I hope this helps.

Good luck !