PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder separation questions

Monroeski
03-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Hello all, I got a grade 3 shoulder separation about a week and a half ago playing Rugby, and I have a few questions. I've been cruising around the site a bit the last few days, and honestly I think a lot of my questions have already been answered, but I would just like to collect everything in one place. I only started playing rugby about two months ago, and since I play in the USA, there isn't really all that much expertise around, and I've been having a devil of a time trying to talk to a doc to get a second opinion in person.

1. Since it's grade 3, the bone is sticking up quite a bit, though I'm a pretty muscular fellow so it doesn't look TOO bad. Anyway, I've been playing as a forward (lock, though I think ultimately I'll be moved to flanker). Will I be able to go back to rugby if I choose to not get this surgically repaired?

2. My doctor initially said that if he's going to do surgery, it will need to be within the first 3-5 weeks after the injury. I think this is just for the ligament reconnection. I've been seeing online through my research, though, that many people wait years before having it fixed. Are there two types of surgeries, one if you do it soon and one if you wait? If there are, which one is generally the best choice?

I think I had some more questions, but I can't think of them right now. I'll post again if I remember. Thanks in advance.

plucs
09-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Hey,

1. Long term you can return to rugby but you will probably do more damage to the joint. You definately will not be able to go back to rugby immediately.

2. I don't think so. I believe the advantage of early surgery is that you won't lose all the time you will spend for a long time rehabilitating your shoulder.

From this injury you can develop chronic pain so make sensible choices now.