PDA

View Full Version : help with mri scan report

tjjenkins85
16-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Firstly Hi all. I stumbled across the site whilst trying to search for some form of explanation for my shoulder injury. I basically suffered it during the British rugby union season before last. After an x-ray scan in the hospital i was told it was rotator cuff damage and that all would be fine after some rest. The pain never really went away and a few weeks ago i decided to have an M.R.I scan as i'd been adviced by a physiotherapist i had been seeing that my rotator cuff was infact fine and the damage was intracapsular. I coughed up the money and had the scan done privately (beats waiting months on our NHS system!)

After having a first scan the report showed the rotator cuff was intact. The acromioclavicular joint was intact and the glenoid labrum was moderately well seen and appeared normal. HOWEVER i was asked to return for a further scan, free of charge, to more fully evaluate the gelnoid labrum. The later scan report was returned to me with the following diagnosis.....

"Taking this study together with the previous examination there is evidence of an anteroinferior glenolabral disruption. The injury involves the periphery of the articular surface and extends into the inferior glenohumeral ligament attached to the glenoid."

CONCLUSION
"Anteroinferior glenolabral disruption."

Today i went to my General Practice Doctor as i needed him to refer me to see a consultant before having the surgery that is apparantely necessary. He advised me that he would refer me, but as seeing the consultant will be on the NHS it will take up to 4-5 months to see him.

Personally i can't wait that long to find out the extend of the damage to my shoulder and would be much obliged if there is anyone out there who has any knowledge of the injury, procedure, or recovery time for the above injury, i've searched google and can't find any relevant links so if anyone has any information it would be a great relief. Unfortunately i'm not that greay on my biological terminology so i can't decifer the report myself. Lol.

Thanks,
Tim

kjwilkin
16-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Firstly Hi all. I stumbled across the site whilst trying to search for some form of explanation for my shoulder injury. I basically suffered it during the British rugby union season before last. After an x-ray scan in the hospital i was told it was rotator cuff damage and that all would be fine after some rest. The pain never really went away and a few weeks ago i decided to have an M.R.I scan as i'd been adviced by a physiotherapist i had been seeing that my rotator cuff was infact fine and the damage was intracapsular. I coughed up the money and had the scan done privately (beats waiting months on our NHS system!)

After having a first scan the report showed the rotator cuff was intact. The acromioclavicular joint was intact and the glenoid labrum was moderately well seen and appeared normal. HOWEVER i was asked to return for a further scan, free of charge, to more fully evaluate the gelnoid labrum. The later scan report was returned to me with the following diagnosis.....

"Taking this study together with the previous examination there is evidence of an anteroinferior glenolabral disruption. The injury involves the periphery of the articular surface and extends into the inferior glenohumeral ligament attached to the glenoid."

CONCLUSION
"Anteroinferior glenolabral disruption."

Today i went to my General Practice Doctor as i needed him to refer me to see a consultant before having the surgery that is apparantely necessary. He advised me that he would refer me, but as seeing the consultant will be on the NHS it will take up to 4-5 months to see him.

Personally i can't wait that long to find out the extend of the damage to my shoulder and would be much obliged if there is anyone out there who has any knowledge of the injury, procedure, or recovery time for the above injury, i've searched google and can't find any relevant links so if anyone has any information it would be a great relief. Unfortunately i'm not that greay on my biological terminology so i can't decifer the report myself. Lol.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

I wouldn't blame you not wanting to wait that long.

I would suggest you see a sports physician at Pure Sports Medicine in London. They have contacts with some of the best Orthopaedic Surgeons in the UK. Their number is 0870 2000 878. If you get a referral to one of their sports physicians from your GP it should be covered by insurance if you have it. I was a patient at Pure Sports Medicine when I lived in London for a couple of years and hepled me a lot.

Good luck.

angieliu
21-05-2007, 03:00 PM
hi Tim,

I agree with KJ. Give the guys at pure sports med a call and see if they can diagnose your shoulder problem. I wouldn't hold out because I waited way too long and going back to find out exactly what I did is very difficult.