PDA

View Full Version : supraspinatus injury

sylvester
30-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Had procedure on vigina area 2 mths ago. Woke up with sore shoulder. Ultrasound shows full thickness tear involving supraspinatus Appoint. with opthopedic on 6.6.07. Everybody denying anything during surgery. Am in agony cant work. Any suggestions

sylvester
30-05-2007, 11:12 AM
supraspinatus injury

angieliu
30-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I think from my readings sometimes they don't know what causes them. Some are due to traumatic injuries and others can be caused from over use which has caused inflammation and deterioration.

I would wait to see what the orto says. Until then get plenty of rest, don't lift anything heavy. Ice it for a couple of days and then if you can feel some improvement I would try ice for 20 and heat for 20 for the surrounding muscles. You could try putting your arm in a sling to help take the weight off but there are bad sides to this that you may mobilise it too much and will cause the muscles to get too stiff. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant and very good to prevent spasms. Voltarin topical cream. Panadiene is also good to control pain. things like nurofen and voltarin tabs have ibuprofen which a lot of people have sensitivities to it. The theory is that they block the nerve cells which cause inflammation.

Don't over do anything. Hope this helps.

ah-oh
30-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I too have a supraspinatus tear which ultrasound showed to be full thickness. Ortho then arranged an MRI (and read by his trusted guy) which showed the tear while still quite large was not yet full thickness. My ortho described an ultrasound as "the equivalent of looking at a photo of London in fog and we need to have a clearer look."

There was certainly a hell of a lot of pain initially and I had very little movement and no strength in my arm at all.

I've kept up the physio (first by my usual person and then with the ortho's). This has very slowly helped but I'm still not able to do the things I want to do sportwise.

Don't panic yet. See the ortho. See the sports physician (not that I have yet but it seems to be a logical thing to do particularly if you don't want/need surgery). Take it a step at a time - or of course there is always the "just go in and get it fixed now!" option. I'm gathering that tendons actually take a very, very, very long time to repair - whatever you do.

angieliu
31-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I think that shoulder injuries of any sort take a long time to heal and I think I learnt that the hard way. Oh well.. :)