PDA

View Full Version : sleeping after surgery

pembo64
05-06-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi all, read some good info re AC joint reconstructions and recently had one myself after a level 4 separation when i came off my MTB doing the commonwealth track recently. I went with a very good surgeon and did the private hospital etc and all was great to date. i came out of hospital 5 days ago and am finding it really dificult to sleep for more than an hour at a time. have tried all sorts of posittions and propping of arm with pillows towels etc ans whilst i can get comfy it seeems to last for only an hour and i wake up wih pain. Are there any tips for a good nights sleep. Had no probs in hosp. Would welcome feedback

Rob N
05-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Pembo:
With patellar tendon recon surgery, I slept on my back with some small pillows down near my feet. Shifted my lower legs around on the low pillows until I had a remote level of comfort. Generally, when you get tired enough, you'll start sleeping longer. No magic solution other than drugs that aren't any good for you. Sorry to hear that your cycling season was cut short. Hopefully you will be back on the trails soon enough. I missed the whole 2006 season, but I'm back out on the road and MTb trails once again. Takes a bit to get over some psychological hurdles when you start riding technical sections again. I wear Mace knee guards when offroad riding now.
Rob N

pembo64
05-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks Rob, I also had patella tendonopothy about 2 years ago but that was martial arts injury, its all good now. With the shoulder they tell you to sleep propped up almost sitting and then prop you elbow wih a pillow. seems like whatever position i get in only lasts for a short period and then i am wide awake. disturbing the wifes sleep majorly also. cranky wife no fun! trie a few natural sleep remedies also but dont seem to work. Slep on sofa last night and very sore this morning

kjwilkin
05-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi there,

I have recently had shoulder surgery so know what you mean.

For me it helps if I take some painkillers before I go to bed so I don't wake up too much during the night.

I have also put a pillow next to my bad arm so that I don't roll over. Currently I am also wearing a sling to bed and that helps too.

Good luck !!

pembo64
06-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Thanks KJ, will try the pain killers before sleep and see how that goes. Is getting better made it to 3 am this morning. Am wearing sling also, I think would be dangerous not to, but i think having the arm so restricted for extended periods is what causes the pain on waking and the need to get up and move it. How long since your surgery and what type?
I had the plate and hook type to bring the AC back in line and support so that ligaments can heal. Have to be so careful not to use even the slightest bit or it can displace the position of hook (done it twice very very painful) this also makes me semi concious whils sleeping i think in fear that it will hapen again.

Thanks again for the input

symonds
09-06-2007, 06:00 AM
I can understand one thing pretty well after going through the several threads of this place, shoulder injury can be a grave issue and on the event they might even require surgery to rectify the problem. Now I would like to know apart from the shoulder dislocation that we usually come to hear about the sports persons can this injury also be procured by extensive hours of computing? There definitely is a strain on the shoulders while typing and how serious can this be?

angieliu
09-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I agree that typing in front of a computer for a long period of time can cause strain on the shoulder. For me, sitting in front of a computer becaomes very painful as I get very stiff shoulders and a neck and with a shoulder injury you need to ensure that you have table which is set at the right height so that your shoulders are not raised when you are typing, and also having a good ergonomic chair is even more beneficial.

I'm not sure if someone can sustain an injury from extensive hours of computing but I wouldn't be surprised.

My shoulder gets really aggrevated when I sit in front of the computer and as a result the first and second rib become so tight from trying to compensate. It's not pleasant when a physio gets into first and second rib trust me!