PDA

View Full Version : Hydrodilatation - the Melbourne procedure

injuryupdate
10-12-2004, 08:14 PM
I heard recently that at Victoria House Radiology in Melbourne, over the last two decades, they have performed over 50,000 hydrodilatation procedures. I'm not sure how accurate this figure is - it averages out to about 8 per day if the suggested figure is accurate.

The primary indication for this is to increase shoulder range of motion, particularly in adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder). Cortisone is used as part of the procedure, and there is some evidence that cortisone injections are helpful in shoulder pain.

However, hydrodilatation is hardly even available in Sydney.

There is very little evidence to support its efficacy. Admittedly there are many procedures where we do not have great evidence to support use, and for example, there would have been many more knee arthroscopic chondroplasties performed for osteoarthritis over this time. The latest evidence for this procedure suggests it does no better than placebo.

Hydros simply haven't been studied. We don't have great evidence to suggest that they work or they don't.

The theory is good - increasing ROM.

It is interesting that Medicare will fund people to have these procedures without demanding an RCT, but they won't fund other treatments that have been proven to work (such as physio for anterior knee pain).

Also, if hydros actually work, we should know about it, as people in other states of Australia are missing out if it is successful.

injuryupdate
10-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Some pubmed links on this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9487172

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12890243

sniwt
29-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I had a frozen shoulder about 6 weeks ago & have just undergone hydrodilatation in Melbourne in the SouthEast suburb. I must admit, it wasn't pleasant to undergo this procedure but it is better than undergoing surgery on shoulder. It hurt when the doctor inserted the cortisone 3 times into my capsule & i still felt the saline water being pumped in me.. some people say they don't feel the pain, however i sure as hell felt it. But i knew i had to do something about it. within 15 minutes, it was over & my yelling stopped. about an hour after that I realised i had more mobilisation on my arm. I could move it higher.. however i'm still stiff & certain points of my stretching... I must admit that hydrodilation works. however don't expect to recover immediately.. I still have to undergo extensive physio 3 times a week where it hurts like hell when they try to stretch me & do adhersion tears to get to move. if i am not consistent, I know my frozen shoulder will get worse. so, at least i've seen results. will keep you posted in about 3 -4 weeks time.

kjwilkin
29-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I've had this procedure a couple of times and has worked wonders for me.

Good luck recovering from the procedure.

6tee7
04-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I have had it once. It gave me relief for a short period( 3-4 weeks) but in thend I still needed surgery.

Melbourne
06-05-2012, 07:10 PM
i've had this injection twice before, my doc sent me to vic house the first time round and i had good relief for a good 2months he then sent me to olympic park imaging for a 'top up' 12months on i am pain free and have full movement back in my shoulder

notadoc
18-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Great practitioners offering Hydrodilatation abound now in Melbourne. The Avenue Hospital offers a great service, as does that Melbourne Radiology place opposite St Vincents in East Melbourne. Experiences there were uniformly positive, although it turned out that the procedure offered by each was slightly different - possibly a little less discomfort in East Melbourne due to the way in which they performed the injections. Either way, I'd go back to either should I require it again.

AaronJ
27-08-2012, 01:19 PM
I just had this procedure done to treat post shoulder reco internal bleeding. I was 5 weeks out from SubAC decompression/ACJ excision/bursectomy, was easing back to gym, had a bleed, etc, etc.

I was referred to Olympic Park by The Avenue.

Was not pleasant, but not as unpleasant as as my previous experience with ultrasound guided cortisone. The Dr that did the procedure was great I and I would rate Olympic Park highly. Not sure how much its helped my issue though.

The basic procedure: Lay you down, single anaesthetic into shoulder, line up X-ray, saline/cortisone needle (I didn’t look), less than a minute of mild discomfort (more mental that real) and you’re done.

Rothberg
09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Hello
I had the procedure on Tuesday the 7th of May 2013... in Malvern Vic. I have had frozen shoulder since the 13th of Feb this year and the pain was becoming intense and hindering my work and life.
After cortisone and MRI 's my surgeon suggested this procedure and I was petrified but knew that waiting two years for it to heal itself was not an option....
Today is the 9th of May 2103- just two days after the Hydrodlitation and I am not on pain killers today... I slept more last night than I have in 3 months and as I am writing this, I have no pain...... ok, I also don't have alot of movement in my arm, but am starting physio next Monday and expect my life to return to normal soon.
As for the pain of the hydroditation... with an option of a maybe 2 year recovery as against the discomfort of a ten min procedure with immediate relief! Do IT!

deepgreen
03-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Hello
I had the procedure on Tuesday the 7th of May 2013... in Malvern Vic. I have had frozen shoulder since the 13th of Feb this year and the pain was becoming intense and hindering my work and life.
After cortisone and MRI 's my surgeon suggested this procedure and I was petrified but knew that waiting two years for it to heal itself was not an option....
Today is the 9th of May 2103- just two days after the Hydrodlitation and I am not on pain killers today... I slept more last night than I have in 3 months and as I am writing this, I have no pain...... ok, I also don't have alot of movement in my arm, but am starting physio next Monday and expect my life to return to normal soon.
As for the pain of the hydroditation... with an option of a maybe 2 year recovery as against the discomfort of a ten min procedure with immediate relief! Do IT!

Hello Rothberg;61787. I hope you are doing well esp your shoulder. I am so glad to have read your post. I had my hydrodilatation on the 31/7/13 for my FS and I am going to start physiotherapy on Monday (5/8/13). How is your shoulder now? do you have more movements and after how many weeks did you notice the improvements? Did you have to go for another hydrodilatation after 6 weeks? I was told by my doctor that I might have to go for another hydro after 6 weeks if the first one would not work or if pain comes back. I would be very happy to hear from you.

Deepgreen