View Full Version : Unsure of Shoulder Injury

07-07-2007, 09:49 AM
A few years ago, my shoulder dislocated after getting in an accident. A doctor put it back in right away, while I was still awake. It was quick and not that painful, but the injury was while it was dislocated.

Now, every once in a while, when i'm playing a sport or something like that, I can feel my shoulder quickly pop out then pop back in. I can hear it to sometimes. It is very quick and pretty painful after it pops back in for about 10 minutes. It is then a little bit sore for the next few days.

Is this a serious injury and should I go to the doctor about it? Should I wear a shoulder brace? Is this a dislocation in the most minor form? Thanks.

08-07-2007, 10:05 AM
It sounds like your shoulder is actually dislocating when you are playing sports. I think that taping your shoulder when you are playing sport could really help to keep your shoulder in place.

I think it would be worthwhile to see a physio (preferably a physio who has experience wrking with shoulders or a sports physio) to show you how to tape your shoulder and also give you some stabilisation exercises to help prevent your shoulder from dislocating. I would be then guided by your physio to see if you need to go and see a sports doc.

08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi there,

I have had problems with shoulder instability so know what you are experiencing right now. When I first hurt my left shoulder I fell on some ice that had iced over in London and either dislocated or subluxed my shoulder. I didn't see a doctor for a few weeks who confirmed that I'd dislocated my shoulder. Then, I started some physio to strengthen my shoulder. Unfortunately the strengthening wasn't enough so I required surgery to stabilise the shoulder. That was about ten months after I initially injured it. It's now really good.

Rather than going to see a physio first I would encourage you to go and see a good sports physician first. I agree with Angie that taping and some strengthening exercises could help. However, you are better off seeing a sports physician first so they can rule anything else out like a fracture and order any scans they think are appropriate. Whereabouts are you based ? I know of some good sports physicians in Melbourne and London, UK.

Good luck !!