PDA

View Full Version : RC surgery recovery HELP

Kelley
15-06-2005, 06:47 AM
I had RC surgery to repair a 50% tear on March 28th. I am 11 weeks out and 3 weeks ago my doc said my ROM was unacceptable and he was very disappointed. At that point I was at 100% on the pullies. He wants to do a cortisone shot tomorrow. Now 3 weeks later I am at 140% so I feek like I have made progress. I am still having lots of pain in my deltoid, in fact it "jumps" a bit. I am just not sure that shot would help and wonder if slower recovery is fairly common. ANY information on recovery/cortisone shots would be appreciated...I do not know what to do and am at the end of my rope!

Ian
16-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Shoulders are a bugger sometimes. Your cortisone will help reduce the inflammation in your shoulder which could be the cause of your pain and decreased ROM, but you need to progress your ROM X's to gain the ROM you want. So.....

Here are some extra strategies to reduce your Pain with exercises:

1. Place a Hot water bottle on your shoulder for 5 mins before exercises

2. Start with small movements to begin with and slowly increase range from there

3. I think you should monitor your success in rehab on the improvements you make in your range and function. There is always going to be some discomfort with a stiff joint.

4. If your lacking direction with your exercises I'd definitely go an see your local physio

injuryupdate
16-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Cortisone has positives and negatives around the rotator cuff. Delays healing but relieves impingement. However, 14 weeks from surgery your doctor can start to consider it as a reasonable option. It wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer though.