PDA

View Full Version : Pain similar to tear yet Arthrogram,X-rays, MRI's are negative?

SpiritWolf
29-06-2005, 11:18 AM
:confused: Hi all, Hope you can help here,

I was injured at work this year back on Feb. 7, was knocked down while responding(running) to an alarm at my work and landed on the back left upper torso on my body. It origionally left a huge black bruise on the left top half of my back and shoulder area (little background for y'all)

Well, since then I have been tossed around from doctor to doctor. I have gone through 6 weeks of physical therapy with minimal help. I have had X-rays, 2 MRI's, and an Arthrogram where my current seargen has "indirectily" told me that there are no tears, and yet again I have been "indirectily" passed along to some other "again" pain management dr.

So, HERE'S my big question. If I have had all those tests and the seargon has told me through the "work comp director" that there's "nothin' goin' on up there according to my tests" then what may be wrong with me? A little more helpfull information.... injury is to left shoulder/upper back area. I feel pain directly in my left shoulder, in the middle of it, in the front of it, in the back of it, on the top of it, on my upper arm, in the soft tissue area from the shoulder bone to my neck, not to mention my neck, I cannot move my arm to say do a jumping jack, I hurt constintally so I tend not to use my left arm when my shoulder is involved, although I do have a 3 year old son so you can imagine that if I must/and have been forced to, pick him up when he falls, and whatnot(a mother's love) my range of motion is limited. From all the studying I have been doing I have ALL the symptoms of a rotator cuff tear, yet the seargon is still telling me looks good from the inside. Also I have not had any shots, I take naproxon for it 2 times a day(doesn't help much), no cortizone, only thing that's been inside my shoulder is the "blue die" from the arthrogram.

Sorry this is so long, I just really need help and am at my wits end with this, If someone could respond to me quickly I would really appreciate it, I just want to not be in pain anymore and would like ANY suggestions as to what may be wrong or where to go or what to do next. Thanks Y'all.

SpiritWolf

jess
29-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Good news about no tears. Two possibilities come to mind: (1) minor impingement, which can be painful, and would settle down really well with a cortisone shot. (2) functional instability, which may not show up on scans, further PT would help this.

dede23
04-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi. In 2002, i was involved in a car crash and injured my left shoulder. Gradually it has gotten worse but have had MRI arthrogram (2002) which apparently came up normal along with many ultrasounds, 2 injections and today another MRI arthrogram. Have seen so many drs and despite having an inabilty to get arm above 100 degree's, having an audible++ clunck and obvious deviation when raising arm, not one suggested i needed to see a surgeon. I have taken it upon myself (but they- insurance company will fit the bills) to seek advice from surgeon. He spent 15minutes with me, looking at the old MRI and he blurted out, 'this isnt right' and when he did the physical test he has come to assuption that my bicep tendon has ruptured and needs to be re attatched. Physio guy has also said that there wld be other damage if that is the verdict. A few months ago i did come up with a bruise around the joint at the front- indicative of a rupture. I am frustrated of the lack of speed in which ppl have taken this on board and now, i face surgery and i presume its going to be difficult to reattach if its been a while and not sure if its been a gradual or acute thing. What is recovery time process. If it is as painful as this MRI arthrogram i wont not a lot to do with it - but hey, i have had 12 knee ops/recon so i am not a wimp!!!!!!!!!!!

ANy one with any advice?? Apologies for this long letter but am kinda in limbo!

Dee

xonicjan
30-07-2006, 10:49 PM
:confused: Hi all, Hope you can help here,

I was injured at work this year back on Feb. 7, was knocked down while responding(running) to an alarm at my work and landed on the back left upper torso on my body. It origionally left a huge black bruise on the left top half of my back and shoulder area (little background for y'all)

So, HERE'S my big question. If I have had all those tests and the seargon has told me through the "work comp director" that there's "nothin' goin' on up there according to my tests" then what may be wrong with me? A little more helpfull information.... injury is to left shoulder/upper back area. I feel pain directly in my left shoulder, in the middle of it, in the front of it, in the back of it, on the top of it, on my upper arm, in the soft tissue area from the shoulder bone to my neck, not to mention my neck, I cannot move my arm to say do a jumping jack, I hurt constintally so I tend not to use my left arm when my shoulder is involved, although I do have a 3 year old son so you can imagine that if I must/and have been forced to, pick him up when he falls, and whatnot(a mother's love) my range of motion is limited. From all the studying I have been doing I have ALL the symptoms of a rotator cuff tear, yet the seargon is still telling me looks good from the inside. Also I have not had any shots, I take naproxon for it 2 times a day(doesn't help much), no cortizone, only thing that's been inside my shoulder is the "blue die" from the arthrogram.

SpiritWolf

Ok. Im no doctor so take this info with a massive shred of doubt attached.
Ive had a painful shoulder for about 4 years... workers comp... say no more....

After that amount of time you kinda get a bit cluey as to whats what....

I have a sore shoulder. 24/7. Every day without a let up.
Have had MRI's etc etc. They came back with supr tears/slap tears etc. Also had sore neck/bilateral trapezius strain.

Have been seen by two well known shoulder orthos.
One said: neck related and the other: chronic overuse injury.

Now back too you.

You said you fell on the top of your left upper back... You had your neck checked? Pain could be coming from your neck. Your trapezius is painful?

Is your pain at rest? or just when you move it?

If its at rest I was told its not caused by a tear etc cause they dont hurt at rest only when you move them. If its at rest its an inflammation type problem.

The workers comp doctor is being paid by your employer. They always say theres nothing wrong with you. Same things happened to me. Everytime your employer sends you to a doctor you should go and see one to counter theyre doctors opinion.

Dont get disheartened. Hang in there.