Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamstring Avulsion (complete tear from pelvis)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks!

Thanks AWord4you and Elmcdougall for the good tips on driving. I will have a company, so maybe I will just hang out in the back with the chocolage and red wine...I was hoping to postpone the trip until I can actually walk, but it doesn't look like that will happen. so I'll try to get a handicapped hotel room at least.

Very discouraging to hear that sitting might be uncomfortable for a year!!!

Also, I have to say that I have had more pain with recovering from surgery than from the injury itself. I do think that had I foregone surgery, I would not have been able to return to running, biking, etc, a the level I want to be. I likely would have injured myself again and then surgery would have a lower success rate. I know I'm speculating, but I have not found anyone who elected to follow the "conservative approach" who has been happy with the result. Maybe there are but I was searching online a lot before I had opted for surgery, and didn't find any.

Good luck to all!

Comment

• well worth it

Hello everybody, I haven't posted in quite a long time. I had my surgery by Dr. Bradley in Pittsburgh in March of 2010. I wanted to give an update and also let everyone here know that the surgery is worth it even though it's a long healing process. I had 5 absorbable anchors inserted to attach all 3 tendons. Had the leg brace for 4-5 weeks after surgery. It took several months to sit without feeling some pain when I sat on hard surfaces like bleachers. Now, I have felt normal (pre-injury) for over a year now. I have been ice skating, running, lifting, coaching football and baseball and most importantly I have been snow skiing again which is how I ruptured my hamstring in the first place. It is all worth it. For all of you out there contemplating about doing the surgery, don't hesitate. Go for it. It will get so much better for those of you who just went through it. Just remember to take the time necessary for your body to heal. There is light at the end of the tunnel. drq

Comment

• Originally posted by drq View Post
        Just remember to take the time necessary for your body to heal. There is light at the end of the tunnel. drq
        Thanks for the update, drq! I definitely wouldn't hesitate to do the surgery again myself, despite the challenges and length of recovery time. Good to know that you feel good about it and that you're back to normal!
        http://www.allisonmann.net

Comment

• Originally posted by kp2020 View Post
          Having my avulsion repaired in 10 days. A little nervous. If I could run, I might decide not to have the repair done BUT I simply cannot run. The leg won't create enough forward momentum to sustain a jog for even a block. Hoping the surgery will fix this!! my MAIN QUESTION IS: Is there anyone who regrets having had this repair done??
          I just finished reading every entry in this site going back to 2007 - took me 2 weeks. I can tell you not one person has written they regreted this procedure. I believe just from your description you are a bone fide candidate for this op but thats my opinion I am not a doc. and I dont know how many tendons you have avulsed. Your sentiments are EXACTLY the same as all of us who have gone through this, we don't want to do it but really its needed. Most of us are middle aged and have never had any sports injury before so we dont have the belief or experience in how the body amazingly recovers and it will its just this time it needs a little boost to set on the right track and time and patience are key (so is a GOOD physio). It makes it tough when most docs seem to say the choice is yours and its up to you to op or not. Its not cancer where the choice is clear to op and fast. I hesitated back and forth for a while (even at the door of the op room) and like you nervous but the more I read I realized I needed it and have to do it if I wanted to have the active life and sports Im used to for the rest of my life, as I am sure is your wish too. The more you read and prepare for this the more confidence you will have and even look forward to the date. I think its a bit of pay now or pay later. Do the surgery now and put in the time to recover and rehab OR try put in the long rehab now and recover to a certain level of ability/comfort, and in months or years you may still have to do the surgery but now its more complicated as scar tissue has slowly built up possibly formed around the sciatic nerve. Leading up to my surgery I started to feel better and questioned again do I reallly need this (I had 2 avulsed and suspicion of third torn). From what I have read I can only honestly recall one story with an initial poor outcome and one other. BUT do note there were not any follow up posts so I don't know the final outcome of those 2 cases. One was an elderly person who I think had other complications for other conditions and a late surgery but the outcome was it appeared (at that time) nerve damage to the foot (nerves can SLOWLY regenerate but about 1mm per day). As you may have read this is a risk but less risk the earlier you have the surgery to the injury date. Also I have read many posts where the surgeon brought on a hand expert (one who is expert in nerves) to assist in the op due to the proximity of sciatic nerve and femoral cutaneous nerve in the area of surgery (this may be the case for ops done in the long chronic stage after injury). The other case was an emergency procedure done in ER which needed a re op soon afterwards.. But you have the time to research to find/found an experienced doc that you trust. Note that some elderly posters in their 60's did it with apparently good outcomes, initially I was told I was too old to do it and Im 50 (BTW so many posters seem to sustain this injury when they are 50! or thereabouts) Note that in over 2,600 posts 99% were all happy with the outcome and stated clearly "I am so happy I had this procedure done". No one has angrily written in and said no do not do this op or I should not have done this. Its not an easy recovery and long rehab but all seem to believe it was well worth it. Many are back to high level sports/activity in six months. Compare that to maybe 3-4 months on the conservative side of rehab with a non positive outcome then back to surgery and square one. And as Jenner points out the chance of reinjury after conservative approach which could make surgery more complicated. I know of a medical person who apparently a long while ago had the same injury and has apparently stated regret at not doing the op and cannot run well now. As for me I am only 2 weeks post op and I believe making good progress, time will tell, but for now I am positive I made the right decision despite pre op hesitation. It seems the posters on this site drift in and out to report some reported back many months or years later to update their positive accomplishments (but I wonder do only the positive outcomes bother writing back a longtime afterwards?). Two did a marathon within one year after op! So there is great hope. I sincerely hope the above has encouraged you and supported you in your decision. Best wishes and look forward to reading of your progress.

Comment

• elmcdougall, aword4u, drq, and Jenner - thank you all so much for your feedback!! drq, I have a two tendon avulsion and Dr. Bradley is doing my surgery as well (I am travelling from Tennessee to have it done - flying, not driving). Am so happy to have found this forum, and you all have put my mind at ease with your reassurances. looking forward to reading about all of your progress and will post updates after my surgery.

Comment

• 7 weeks post hamstring avulsion surg

I just discovered this forum and wished I knew about it earlier. This has been an interesting "journey" mostly because I know of no one else who has suffered from this. I have commented that I have learned so much I will be a great resource if this happens to anyone I know. I feel like I have really "turned a corner" this week and am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and now for the next 5 weeks will be weight bearing in a brace using the walker at all times. I'm going to PT twice a week for the next 4-6 months. I'm excited to move forward and get back to where I was prior to my accident. I have had tremendous support and help which has been so appreciated. This is not like any injury or surgery I have experienced before. If I can give any advice or encouragement please let me know. I'm glad I did it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pennybrite16 View Post
                I just discovered this forum and wished I knew about it earlier. This has been an interesting "journey" mostly because I know of no one else who has suffered from this. I have commented that I have learned so much I will be a great resource if this happens to anyone I know. I feel like I have really "turned a corner" this week and am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and now for the next 5 weeks will be weight bearing in a brace using the walker at all times. I'm going to PT twice a week for the next 4-6 months. I'm excited to move forward and get back to where I was prior to my accident. I have had tremendous support and help which has been so appreciated. This is not like any injury or surgery I have experienced before. If I can give any advice or encouragement please let me know. I'm glad I did it!!!
                Hi Pennybrite,
                I agree this is a great forum. I am 4 weeks post op and wearing a full leg brace-non weightbearing and getting around on crutches. I'm curious that you mention using a walker. I guess I just assumed that I would still use crutches for support, but start putting weight on my leg. What was the extent of your injury? 5 weeks using a walker after 6 weeks non-weight bearing seems like a long time!

thanks!

Comment

• Hi all... Just an update. I am scheduled for my surgery on 10/17. It has been a little crazy because it wasn't confirmed until the Nationals lost the playoff game five last night. My surgeon is their doctor, go figure. Will keep everyone posted on the results etc. of the surgery.

Comment

• Hi Jenner,
                    Mine was a complete rupture retracted 5 centimeters. I slipped in water in the grocery store and did front to back splits also tearing mcl and meniscus in opposite leg. That leg is rather unstable and also because I have RA it concerns my Dr that I am at higher risk for a fall. I'm normally very athletic and fit so this has made me feel old and stupid but I'm working hard to get back to where I was prior to the accident. One other challenge with my case is I had an abnormally large tendon and a very small pelvis. The surgeon was only able to fit one screw in so that also makes re-attachment a little trickier. I'm hoping it will stay attached but I do worry about that. What's your story? How are u feeling at this point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Runofmylife View Post
                      Hi all... Just an update. I am scheduled for my surgery on 10/17. It has been a little crazy because it wasn't confirmed until the Nationals lost the playoff game five last night. My surgeon is their doctor, go figure. Will keep everyone posted on the results etc. of the surgery.
                      Hey Runofmylife....My surgery is scheduled for the 19th so we are just 2 days apart! hope we can keep in touch and compare notes. Best wishes to you on the 17th!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pennybrite16 View Post
                        Hi Jenner,
                        Mine was a complete rupture retracted 5 centimeters. I slipped in water in the grocery store and did front to back splits also tearing mcl and meniscus in opposite leg. That leg is rather unstable and also because I have RA it concerns my Dr that I am at higher risk for a fall. I'm normally very athletic and fit so this has made me feel old and stupid but I'm working hard to get back to where I was prior to the accident. One other challenge with my case is I had an abnormally large tendon and a very small pelvis. The surgeon was only able to fit one screw in so that also makes re-attachment a little trickier. I'm hoping it will stay attached but I do worry about that. What's your story? How are u feeling at this point?
                        Wow, I think yours is much more serious! I'm so grateful for one good leg. Mine was also a complete avulsion retracted 3 cm of 2 or maybe 3 tendons. The MRI showed 2, but the doctor's note said 3. I go back to see him Friday to find out for sure what exactly he did. My accident was when I was trying to waterski. I had the opportunity to try and thinking that since I was fit and athletic, (albeit 46 years old) that I should have no trouble. But on my last attempt, when I was trying to come to a stand, I felt the "pop". So now I am 4.5 weeks post surgery, the pain is lessening, as is the swelling and I can get around pretty well on crutches, but I can't wait to get rid of them and this brace. I definitely miss being active. I love to run especially in the fall...and I miss riding (swimming not so much). I am bummed because skiing is probably out for me as well this season.
                        Best of luck to you!

Comment

• I'm glad you are doing well. Believe me you feel so much better when you can walk again. I'm so amazed that it really doesn't hurt-you just feel stiff and kinda awkward. This morning I got brave and got my work-out gear on(10 min later haha) and went out to walk. I made it 9 houses then turned around. It felt great to achieve that but frustrating for me since prior to the accident a daily hike and a run were normal before 9 am. I can't wait to recover!!! I too have accepted the fact that skiing won't be on my radar this Winter. I'm bugged since I got all new gear at the end of the season last year. My Dr actually told me if I lived in a Winter state( I don't ) he would want me to stay in the house all Winter to protect me from a fall. I think I better start golfing haha. I have an MRI next Mon to determine exactly what is going on in my other knee. Surgery 2 will probably be scheduled in a month or two but after this one a knee surgery will be a piece of cake. Right now the knee is keeping me awake more than the hamstring. Keep healing!!! It's great to have you guys out there who "get it"
                          Penny

Comment

• Good luck!

Originally posted by kp2020 View Post
                            Hey Runofmylife....My surgery is scheduled for the 19th so we are just 2 days apart! hope we can keep in touch and compare notes. Best wishes to you on the 17th!!
                            Good Luck to both of you heading to surgery this week. It's nice you have had a few days to prepare for this. I'm sure every situation is different but my post surgery week, although tough in ways was also a nice time to learn to slow down and accept help. I'm much happier being on the other end but I have really appreciated and needed help. I was lucky enough to have relatives and friends that flew in for the first month. At 7 weeks post I still have daily visitors and daily offers of meals. I have friends that call or text every time they are at the store checking if I need anything. It has been amazing that "my problem" has become a shared problem by so many. I started weight-bearing 10 days ago and see independence very close. I'm hoping to be driving sometime this week. For you two having surgery....
                            Stock up on easy meals....I had muscle milk on hand and would drink that when I needed an easy breakfast or snack. I had cheese sticks in my fridge too which were great for an easy snack. Baby wipes were very helpful especially the first few days when showering wasn't possible. A shower chair was important but not really for sitting on. I would back up to the shower then lower myself onto it then put good leg down and move the chair further into shower. I'd sit on my cheek a min or two then stand on one leg til I was tired. Even now I use the shower chair to hold shampoo etc so I don't have to bend. I also have a hand grip attached in my shower for extra safety. One other thing is have lots of wash cloths. I have become an expert sink bather every other day and feel like I can get pretty clean at the bathroom sink. Getting dressed is still tricky. Fortunately it is hot where I live and I mostly wear sun dresses which are easy to put on and take off. Undies are still challenging to get on but getting easier every day. Looking back I will have pleasant memories of a time of reflection and gratitude for so many wonderful people helping me and of a time where I truly appreciated a healthy body. I'm looking forward to a complete recovery and wish you both well. Keep us posted!

Comment

• 53yrs. & 4 mos.post-op

I've been reading this forum since I tore this bloody thing in April. I had surgery, vertical incision, in June. Sitting is still very painful.
                              I have been released to work w/ limitations/restrictions. No ladders, stairs, scaffolding. No kneeling. Lifting up to 15 pounds. Modified sitting so no pressure on back of right leg & butt.
                              I haven't read any posts from people who are my age. It seems everyone here is athletic & younger. Is there anyone here who isn't an athlete or athletically inclined?
                              I'd appreciate any type of reply or info.
                              Last edited by tailorbean; 17-10-2012, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Best wishes to you too!

Comment

Working...
                                X