Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamstring Avulsion (complete tear from pelvis)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi evelyn!! welcome post op! let the healing begin...
    one thought re bathroom - i also drink lots of water and we have a very small bathroom that i have to side slip into with the walker so i got a female urnial at cvs pharmacy or i saw them online too for the same price. then on my dresser in my bedroom (i am most comfortable in bed) i got a large stock pot to put the thing in for stability. then i have a roll of toilet paper and in a baggy some of the moist wipes. i found just using the wipes irradiating (sorry for the sorrid details) oh also a waste basket. so i just get up and go. for the first 2 weeks someone would empty it for me but i do it myself now. the other thing i do might not appeal to some but i am for easy...during the day, i where a nightgown that's knee length and put a long sleeve top over and go commando as my daughter says aka no underwear...i don't see the point of struggling with it. also a large tray on the bed is nice for kinds of stuff.
    very best to you. you will make. we all will.

Comment

• 11 weeks and discharged

Have'nt done a post for a while and see a few new members admitted to the elite avulsee club.
      Welcome SusanK and evJ and others.
      Reading through the posts over the last couple of weeks I thought I would add a couple of things from my experience. I repeat that these are my thoughts and should not be construed as anything else. Expert advice is the domain of surgeons and other professionals.
      Before going on I should summarise where I am at the moment healing wise.
      I was never in a brace, never felt any pain, could shower and toilet myself after 3 days ( made sure I had a slip proof mat) used crutches for 6 weeks and after 4 weeks started to increase weight bearing. At six weeks threw the crutches away and started walking. PT after 7 weeks as per my previous posts. Joined gym after 9 weeks do excercises every 2 days slowly increasing intensity. See the PT every week to check progress.

Firstly I think it was SusanK that mentioned taking ibuprofen. My understanding is that this is an anti inflammatory drug and I was strongly advised not to use these types of drugs because lots of inflammation is good. Be interested in others comments on this.

Secondly as an antipodean (Australia and NZ) to brace or not to brace seems to differ vastly between us and USA from what I gather. Personally I had the op and I was out the next day. After reading all the posts I discussed this with the surgeon and he said there was no real evidence to prove that the brace did any better in the healing process than just semi weight bearing on crutches. In fact the crutches were actually only a tool to prevent any "sudden movement" and to remind you that if you drop something don't pick it up suddenly. It's all about sudden movement that is the key to ensuring a re avulsion does not occur....... I used to go around singing " well I'd like to know where, you got the notion...don't rock the boat baby etc...love and Avulsion ( devotion) Amazing what you come up with when you are bored
      waiting for the bloody thing to heal!

Thirdly, not having to wear a brace did not shrink the leg and personally I think it helps in getting the leg back to strength later.
      I have read JaneC and had it confirmed by my PT that it is important that the scar tissue forms in a certain way. This is why the correct PT protocol is important. I don't really understand how that is but more than happy to go along with it

Couple of things I found useful. I used the crutches as tweezers to pick up clothing off the floor and put it on higher ground. From there I could dress myself. I can stand on the bad leg now but in the early days I would stand on the good leg, feed the bad one in then sit on the bed and wriggle my good foot into the trouser leg, pull the bad leg back ( no strain on hammies) grab on to the top of the trousers so that I was not flexing the hip or as little as possible and pull them up while sitting, then stand on the good foot and finish the job.
      I was lucky that I has two walls to hold on to when needing to sit on the toilet. I just lowered myself down on the good leg. When getting up I used my arm to push me up from the middle of the toilet seat putting all the weight on the good leg. My bad leg seemed to handle that OK.

marsterey: just to walk or potter around is good but that's only what I was told. Best to check it out with your professionals

Mryan: good story on the Lycra Lady. You must have been one of the boys piled up behind to relate the story...just joking! Anyway all the best for the 9th April

Where are you Renee?

SueR. How is the numbness around the incision area going? Mine has got a lot better over the last couple of weeks.
      Are you still doing the Sydney to Melbourne driving?

All the best
      Harrie

Comment

• There are soooo many hilarious and somewhat disgusting running stories that I can think of......don't know how strong everyone's stomach's are but suffice to say that some people are so hell bent on finishing and finishing only that they don't bother to stop for the portaloos....not nice if you run up behind them!!!! I know that some elite runners have done this, and I guess if its the difference between olympic gold or large sums of money, maybe you would consider just "letting it go" but if not, I would choose the loo anyday..... Very funny re "little miss lycra" power walker....

Mryan, if you let me know roughly what direction you live in, I would be happy to help you find a pt close by. I am Northside, and have the good fortune of being a PT and have my own clinic. I have done my own treatment to date which was awsome in the early stages when you don't want to be driving anywhere!! (and I can get help through colleagues and friends when necessary) ... I have contacts and can help track down someone in your area who you can feel confident with. I think it really makes a difference to start earlier and work within the confines of your post-op protocol. It is a really unusual injury and I must say that I have not had a full avulsee in the clinic in 20 yrs... a few partials only. These days though, with MRI available to all of us it is soo much easier to confirm the diagnosis early on though and have it treated efficiently.

EVJ...I did not have a brace and there is good research to suggest that it is not necessary. In Aust and NZ unless there isa good reason to use (maybe large retraction, reason to believe the integrity of the attachment may be compromised) they tend not too and the outcome is good. I think it is also a lot more comfortable too. Unless you are in a slippery environment or really unsteady on your crutches, you should be fine. Just eat pain killers for a few days and you will feel better!!

Comment

• SusanK
          Thank you for the good tips for the bathroom situation! My bathroom is also small and I too have to go in sideways with the walker. I used a 5 gallon bucket last night for when I needed to get up in the middle of the night, and it's much safer than walking half asleep on crutches. I stay in my living room because I don't feel strong enough to go up and down stairs yet. And also because I will be home alone for most of the day beginning tomorrow when kids go back to school. Luckily my kids are older and can help out a lot. My husband works pretty much every day, he helps when he gets home. Being in this situation is very challenging, I had an appendectomy about 4 years ago and that was a piece of cake compared to this! It is difficult for all of us, but we have to stay positive and focused on getting better each day. It's only my second day post op and I feel a lot better than the first day. Stay well!

Harry
          Hi Harry and congratulations on your amazing speedy recovery! I too use my crutches as tweezers to pick things up off the floor. I am glad to learn that you didn't need a brace and have done great without it. My dr also told me no ibuprofen only pain meds as needed, elevate and ice. He also told me that I can bear little weight on it by day 3 and crutches up to me. I have been using them each time I get up, I am not confident enough to walk without them yet. Keep us posted with your progress, it gives us something to look forward to!

JaneC
          First of all, how wonderful that you are a pt and have done your own treatment! Hope you can find Mryan a good place to go for pt too. I might have to drive a good distance for when I have to go, nothing good around where I live. And I think it's important to get pt where they have knowledge of this injury, so I won't mind if I have to drive far. So good to know you didn't have to wear a brace either. Mine was retracted 2 centimeters, he said it was 90% off and he used 3 pins to reattach it. So like you said, maybe this is the reason why no brace for me. Yikes what a crazy injury this is!

Best to all

Evelyn

Comment

• Originally posted by EvJ View Post
            Hello,

I have been reading these posts for about a month now and finally decided to join and tell you about my injury. I suffered a complete hamstring tear on March 9th, MRI on March 15th confirmed my injury. The first doctor told me that due to my age(46) and risks associated with surgery, it was not recommended. He told me to wait maybe three months and allow it to heal. Then he would recommend physical therapy. He said that if I was an elite athlete then surgery would be an option. I left his office confused and upset.

Thanks to this forum, I decided to get a second opinion. Met with new doctor on March 22nd, he was very kind understanding. He informed me of his experience with this type of surgery, explained all the pros and cons vs non surgical treatment. So I decided to get the surgery done and it is scheduled for tomorrow. I am nervous and scared at the same time as you all were. Thankfully, I have gotten a lot of useful information from you guys and I am sure this will help make my recovery a little easier.

My injury happened while doing yoga, nothing exiting like with most of you. I am still trying to figure out what if anything I did wrong on that day, but I have to try to accept it and focus on my recovery instead. This so far has been very difficult to deal with as it has brought a lot of stress at work and at home. I just hope I made the right decision.

I am grateful to have found this forum, as you may also know, most people do not understand the seriousness of this type of injury.

Thank you for the wonderful and useful information everyone posts here and please keep posting for us newbies.
            EvJ, I had exactly the same experience regarding 1st opinion & was nearly in tears. My 2nd opinion came from a surgeon in Pennsylvania. I travelled there from Tennessee to have the surgery done and have ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS! Frankly am still put off with the 1st doc here in Tennessee because he was very short with me. Had a partial tear after doing the splits in yoga and completed the tear a year later on the tennis court lunging after a ball. Could still jog after the partial, but the complete was debilitating: couldn't jog and could stand to sit for more that 5 minutes. My surgery was last October and I'm jogging nicely and have no pain at all sitting. Best wishes to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by kp2020 View Post
              EvJ, I had exactly the same experience regarding 1st opinion & was nearly in tears. My 2nd opinion came from a surgeon in Pennsylvania. I travelled there from Tennessee to have the surgery done and have ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS! Frankly am still put off with the 1st doc here in Tennessee because he was very short with me. Had a partial tear after doing the splits in yoga and completed the tear a year later on the tennis court lunging after a ball. Could still jog after the partial, but the complete was debilitating: couldn't jog and could stand to sit for more that 5 minutes. My surgery was last October and I'm jogging nicely and have no pain at all sitting. Best wishes to you!
              I am happy to hear you are 6 months post op and doing very well! It's only day 3 post op for me and I have no regrets either. It's a difficult situation to be in right now, but it helps to know from everyone here that it only gets better every day. I still think about that 1st dr visit and how short he was with me too, made me feel as if I wasn't worth his time. What city in PA did you travel for your surgery? If you don't mind me asking. My surgeon is in Allentown PA, very happy with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harrie View Post
                Have'nt done a post for a while and see a few new members admitted to the elite avulsee club.

Mryan: good story on the Lycra Lady. You must have been one of the boys piled up behind to relate the story...just joking! Anyway all the best for the 9th April

Where are you Renee?

SueR. How is the numbness around the incision area going? Mine has got a lot better over the last couple of weeks.
                Are you still doing the Sydney to Melbourne driving?

All the best
                Harrie
                Ditto from us all to Michael for tomorrow.

And yes, echoing Harrie, Renee. Hope all is well.

And in answer to your questions, Harrie, the numbness around my incision has gone, the numbness down the back of my leg is has just started un-numb in the last two weeks (6 months out from surgery). And the only thing restricting me doing the Sydney-Melbourne driving more often is lack of time, not the hammie. The driving is shared by the way - I am not a superwoman. Michael's drive from Melbourne to Brisbane 24 hours after avulsion makes him one though! Well, almost. Or a madman.

All the best to the newies.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvJ View Post
                  I am happy to hear you are 6 months post op and doing very well! It's only day 3 post op for me and I have no regrets either. It's a difficult situation to be in right now, but it helps to know from everyone here that it only gets better every day. I still think about that 1st dr visit and how short he was with me too, made me feel as if I wasn't worth his time. What city in PA did you travel for your surgery? If you don't mind me asking. My surgeon is in Allentown PA, very happy with him.
                  Hey EvR, I went to Pittsburgh. Wishing you the very best with your recovery. Take it slow, pamper yourself, and let others pamper you too. What yoga pose were you doing that led to your injury? KP

Comment

• melbourne to Brissy by car...plse don't

Mryan

I think SueR would also agree that driving from Melbourne to Brisbane non stop so soon after the op in my opinion would be a no go.

After 4 weeks I was driven from Christchurch to Nelson in the south Island. Now that would be about a 5 hour trip and it was bloody uncomfortable but manageable. There is a lot of of difference between 5 and 24 hours and a longer post op than you.

Apart from that there may be an issue with blood circulation and clotting although that idea does not come from any authoratative source. I think moving or pottering around being in different positions is useful to keep things moving.

Did you consider flying. If so please get some advice on the risks of this also as there maybe some risk of DVT and my surgeon had suggested aspirin to thin the blood if I was to do this. I am no expert so check this out yourself. I will be travelling o/seas in another 7 weeks and will do this even though I will be 18 weeks out from the op at that time.

Had you thought about breaking the journey up if travelling by car into say 4x6 hour stints with plenty of stops on the way?

Anyway good luck for tomorrow, just a few thoughts

regards
                    Harrie
                    Last edited by Harrie; 08-04-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Close now . . .

Sorry Harrie but you may have misunderstood. I drove from Melb to Bris the day after the Water skiiing accident - 15 months ago. More Crazy rather than superhuman. I did do it over 2 days. I am geered up for tomorrow and intend on flying home to Brisbane on Friday. I met up with SueR and her husband today and am buoyed by her words of wisdom and experience. It was great to put a face to the User Name and really thankful to her for making the time to come in and visit me and my family.

To JaneC - i live in Bridgeman Downs - is you clinic near there - or do you know someone close to me?
                      To Evelyn - great to hear you got through the procedure well and are on the road to recovery - we must keep in contact and share recovery milestones - we will keep each other positive.

Looking forward to sharing more funny stories with you all after I get through tomorrow - things just seem to happen on my watch . . . .

Michael alias Mr Yan

Comment

• Hi Mirella and Michael (and Sean and Jack) - that is - Mr Yan and associates,

I feel so responsible for your decision to go ahead.

All the very best.

Michael, Robert reckons you are a double or nothing sort of person.
                        Here's going for double!

Sue

Comment

• EvJ,
                          Sounds like you are doing great! Lucky you no brace. Just go slow, listen to your leg, don't do anything that engages hammie and you will be fine. Everyone here has great advice. Nothing like first hand knowledge and pooling all our dr.'s protocols. I having been sending micheal lots of good thoughts today, hoping and praying for great results. It has been such a long struggle for him to get here!

My youngest just went back to college so house quiet again, sad. Now time to get back to life. Much office work has piled up over last month so I must tackle it. Sitting on pillow is not bad, so plan is 2 hours sitting, half hour reclining, then try again. Am up against deadlines so must get it done! Ditched the brace (it's been 4 weeks) and feels better without it. Still use crutches when I leave house but I walk slowly do fine in house without them. Seemed silly to use them when I was fully wt bearing with them. But going very far like around stores the crutches are nice for support so will continue them.

Susan, hope you are doing well. Are you getting out more yet?

Harrie,

Thanks for your post I found it very informative. Jane is very informative too being a PT. actually all here have so much to offer, I look forward to reading it everyday.

Jeanne

Comment

• Everyone is different

Jeanne ( surgeryRN)

Everyone has different attachments so you have to follow post op protocol from your surgeon.
                            In my case apparently my anchor was quite solid which is probably why I did not need a brace and was allowed to semi weight bear from day1.
                            I was pretty vigilant about using my crutches right up to six weeks post op. My main focus was not putting any strain on the leg when getting up from sitting or lying down. I always used my other leg for that.

Apart from a good attachment there does seem to be different schools of thought on whether walking with or without crutches actually makes any difference to the healing process. I did quite a lot of walking pre 6 weeks but always with crutches, so I think using the crutches as you are doing when going out is from my point of view sensible.

All seems to be going well for you which is great. At your point just take your time, walk slowly, don't leverage off the bad leg, don't slip, use the crutches as a support, if you have to pick up something from the floor kick the affected leg back putting all the weight on the good leg

We are all getting there .....slowly

Cheers
                            Harrie
                            Last edited by Harrie; 09-04-2013, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kp2020 View Post
                              Hey EvR, I went to Pittsburgh. Wishing you the very best with your recovery. Take it slow, pamper yourself, and let others pamper you too. What yoga pose were you doing that led to your injury? KP
                              I was doing the triangle pose when it happened. I've done same pose so many times, very strange. Oh well, no point in focusing on that now. Best wishes to you and keep us posted.

Evelyn

Comment

• Originally posted by SurgeryRN View Post
                                EvJ,
                                Sounds like you are doing great! Lucky you no brace. Just go slow, listen to your leg, don't do anything that engages hammie and you will be fine. Everyone here has great advice. Nothing like first hand knowledge and pooling all our dr.'s protocols. I having been sending micheal lots of good thoughts today, hoping and praying for great results. It has been such a long struggle for him to get here!

My youngest just went back to college so house quiet again, sad. Now time to get back to life. Much office work has piled up over last month so I must tackle it. Sitting on pillow is not bad, so plan is 2 hours sitting, half hour reclining, then try again. Am up against deadlines so must get it done! Ditched the brace (it's been 4 weeks) and feels better without it. Still use crutches when I leave house but I walk slowly do fine in house without them. Seemed silly to use them when I was fully wt bearing with them. But going very far like around stores the crutches are nice for support so will continue them.

Susan, hope you are doing well. Are you getting out more yet?

Harrie,

Thanks for your post I found it very informative. Jane is very informative too being a PT. actually all here have so much to offer, I look forward to reading it everyday.

Jeanne

Thank you Jeanne(SurgeryRN). I am going to take your advice and take it slow at least for the first few weeks. Today I was alone most of the day, so now I have lower back pain from doing too much I guess. There were a few mishaps as well, but I got through them. You are right about how many different dr's protocols there are and lots of good advice too. Mine sounds like Harrie's, my doctor said no brace, ok to semi weight bear from day one, he also told me that I could try to walk without the crutches just don't put all the weight on bad leg. I haven't tried to do this yet, I just don't feel strong enough without the crutches yet. I think I am just scared to do something wrong and will end up in the ER. Also, I am using my good leg for everything Harrie has mentioned. But sometimes I feel a tug/pain inside where the hammy was reattached, so I will try to be extra careful from now on.

I am glad you ditched the brace so you can be a little more comfortable now especially when trying to sit and get your work done. I need to get a good pillow for when I go back to work, I am sure I will still be sore. Take care and glad you are doing well.

Wishing MrYan(Michael) the very best today/tomorrow!! Thought about him all day today.

Evelyn

Comment

Working...
                                X