Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamstring Avulsion (complete tear from pelvis)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great comeback Mryan

Hey Michael

Love the story and an interesting ending but I was half expecting that you were going to end up fixing his printer and windows 7 problems!
    Its funny how the anticipation of what you expect to happen and what actually happens in a story like that.
    The first reaction is Hellaluja, I have found someone that could know something about my issue, so to meet with a reaction like that is so unexpected. Anyway great comeback.
    Not wanting to ask you a technical question between your desert and your coffee though, can you give me some guidence on how to publish a picture on these posts?
    Look fwd to getting the link, maybe that venue may allow photoes to be uploaded too?
    Just to add to your chart my retraction was 5cms

JaneC
    As wonderful and as helpful as ever! You are a fantastic contributor to this site and with such a wealth of info.
    I must admit I was starting to get lazy. I am more of an outdoors active sort of person. Hiking, biking, boating, etc all great but I find static excercises totally boring to the point where I am finding excuses not to go to the gym or do the stretches at home.

Thankyou...you have given me a massive wake up call backed up by sound logic.

This is a topic which has not really been covered before to any great extent. We all know that somehow we need to strenthen up but no one has really covered the consequences of not committing time to them until your post .
    Is there a point in your opinion where if rehab is not undertaken the opportunity to get back to normal is compromised?

Are there any one particular set of excercises you believe provide the best recovery impact on the hammy or is it general allround stretching and strenthening excercises as I am doing at the moment?

SurgeryRN (jeanne)

Great to see you have made it through to 9 weeks. Time will now pass really quickly for you now that you are back at work work. Tending the farm and moving around without over doing it will have been beneficial.
    I must admit that I am really confused about the idea of a sling. It just seems so OTT. It would have to have been a nightmare in your first six weeks. God only knows how you can manage to toilet and shower with that impediment. I get lost reading all the posts on that topic, thank god my gender helps in that regard!

BarbieKay

Sorry to hear that you are compulsorily joining this happy and not so happy throng of avulsees.
    I also had a 5cm retraction. I was going to conservatively manage it (technical term for do nothing about it) until I discovered these posts. The next day I retracted that decision and put myself back on the surgery list.
    I had never had an op before an the anethesist asked me if I would like a seditive. He said that as soon as I had it that I needed to go to the toilet. Within about 20 seconds after returning to my bed I was out to it waking up after the surgery. Took about 1.5 hrs.
    No one that I have read on these posts have regretted having surgical intervention.
    Good luck

Harrie

Comment

• Originally posted by New Year's Tripper View Post
      Name:  21b438d2b9571b89f01785a677753e97.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  6.6 KB

Welcome BarbieKay. Does the image accurately portray how you injured yourself? I feel like the artist was present with a slow motion camera when I tripped on a tree root while hiking on an uneven, unpaved trail. My surgeon described my injury as a water skiing accident without the H2O.

I have not seen a previous poster need an EMG. What triggered your doctor's concern and what will the test results clarify? Hope your test results are are as positive as your great attitude.

New Year's Tripper (Laura)
      When I fell, I actually had my right leg forward, and the left leg didn't pull forward as it was supposed to (injury is to left hamstring), and I did a complete somersault as I fell (and hyperextended a finger. No one told me I couldn't stop my entire body weight with a single finger, but that's another matter). I like to say the leg "seized up on me". We are thinking that perhaps I had a partial tear or some tendonitis previously undiagnosed that caused me to be unable to pull that leg forward when I took off at a sudden sprint while showing off for little kids.

As far as the EMG, who knows... This doctor has done more of these surgeries than anyone else in the Midwest part of the USA. He poked and prodded me, and said that despite being unattached, there are certain responses he should be getting from the hamstring that he isn't, plus I have some numbness. He is thinking it's the nerve. He simply said he needs to know ahead of time what he is going to find when he does the surgery. I got the impression this is not unusual for him. I also have to go to physical therapy pre-surgery, which he requires of all his patients.

And thanks Laura and Harrie for the welcomes!
      Last edited by BarbieKay; 17-05-2013, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• S
        Originally posted by BarbieKay View Post
        I've been reading this thread since I received my MRI results 5 days ago. I have complete avulsion of the hamstring tendons from their origin, retracted 5cm. I'm a 43 year old female. The injury happened 4 weeks ago when I said to a little girl, "Wanna race to the school bus?" She won. I lost big time. I was misdiagnosed as sciatica for a while. I met with Dr. Peter Sallay in Indianapolis today who will be performing my surgery. It has yet to be scheduled because he wants an EMG first, since he says the muscle isn't responding as it should, and he thinks there might be some nerve damage.

This thread has been a life-saver. I feel like I was prepared for the surgery before I even even met the surgeon. I look forward to racing you all to full recovery.
        Hello BarbieKay and welcome to this most informative site. I too am recently new to this "avulsion life" . My injury was April 4 in Cincinnati and I will be having my surgery first of July at the Andrews institute in Florida where we will be moving end of June. My appt with the surgeon there is in 2weeks and I am quite interested in what he does as my Doc here in cincy who is quite experienced told me the doc in Florida is the" new hotshot". I had to get accepted by him and his nurse called me to ask if some 10 surgeons could observe the surgery...that they were flying in for the surgery . All to look at my butt?!!! I will let y'all know what happens after the appt. One thing that I am doing that I haven' t heard mentioned is that he has me having massage therapy 3 times per week on my left hamstring( 10cm retraction) and quad strengthening exercises. I am or was an avid exerciser so I hope all this helps with recovery ....oh and I got one of those grabber things that I believe Nytripper recommended and I think that will be great to irritate my husband with after surgery.. Instead of a bell I'll grab him when he is within reach. HA.

Deb

Comment

• Hi Harry,

As always you ask very sensible and technical questions that i like to answer!

I also go through times when, since I doing heaps more, I slack off for a few days on the nuts and bolts exercises....then I measure and really look at my effected thigh and get the feedback that it is still noticably smaller and weaker...and I will become my own worst nightmare if I don't stay on track!

I do a range of exercises....like to keep things as functional as possible (for the above reasons that nobody wants to commit longterm to pointless exercises, not even physios).

I do a heap of squats, lunges, split squats, all concentrating on control and gradually adding more weight to improve largely quads and glutes control. I do hamstring eccentric exercises with a fit ball (so lying on your back, sore leg on the ball and bridging with that leg, then rolling the ball in and out with your leg), theraband - extension, just about to start some "leaps" with the band as resistance (difficult to describe in a hurry but will think on it), plyometric exercise (repeated hopping/jumping) once again focusing on control of the leg position plus arabesque ex's (leaning forward with weight on bad leg, and either ball bouncing outside base of support or something you can concoct to make you control yourself with your bad leg), flicks and wobbles (proprioceptive work)

You can also do straight leg curl weights for the hammy, I did these initially but have run out of weights and have come up with other exercises that work it harder anyway.

I might add that I do not do all of these at the same time usually. (Only if I am not running or cycling) Usually break it up a bit. After a run or if not running a walk, I usually assess what I need to work on most and just do that on those days.

Hope this helps (if you need more translation, let me know!)

Comment

• Some Instructions to load a photo . . .

Originally posted by Harrie View Post
            Hey Michael
            Love the story and an interesting ending but I was half expecting that you were going to end up fixing his printer and windows 7 problems!
            Its funny how the anticipation of what you expect to happen and what actually happens in a story like that.
            The first reaction is Hellaluja, I have found someone that could know something about my issue, so to meet with a reaction like that is so unexpected. Anyway great comeback.
            Not wanting to ask you a technical question between your desert and your coffee though, can you give me some guidence on how to publish a picture on these posts?
            Look fwd to getting the link, maybe that venue may allow photoes to be uploaded too?
            Just to add to your chart my retraction was 5cms
            Harrie

Hi Harrie

I have listed some instructions on how to load a photo onto this forum. Be wary that the image has to less than 1 meg which is really tiny. I have posted it in Photobucket (see link below) so you are able to follow it - there is Part A and Part B. As anything - it isn't difficult however there are a few steps to execute - hopefully it works for you. (note: IT guys are not very noted for good instructions!!)

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/Mr...?sort=3&page=1

Mr Yan (alias Michael)

Comment

• Updated Chart - 17th May 2013

Hi All

Here is a link to the chart as it was getting terribly hard to view in this screen.

I hope you all can see it.

Mr Yan (alias Michael)

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/Mr...tml?sort=4&o=0

Comment

• Bruised foot . . . .

Hi All

Anyone experiencing or experienced a badly bruised sole of their foot. I would swear I have burned the sole of my foot and there is a definite bruise. Note I am on aspirin for the blood clot and the surgeon did spend over an hour separating the scar tissue from my sciatic nerve. I am thinking it is my nerves waking up however the bruising has me baffled. Very sensitive to touch and throbs like a mild toothache.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mr Yan (alias Michael)

Comment

• Michael,

I don't know about the bruise on your foot and associated with the sensory changes....Is isolation that foot sensation could definately come from your sciatic nerve (most likely case scenario), however, the clot does complicate things. How swollen is your calf?? Is there any tenderness or bruising further up. Blood will go eventually to the lowest point it can reach...we call it "tracking", so this is possible too, although a bit of a stretch. Has the sensation in your foot worsened lately?? IF so, I would think another check is worthwhile. If it is as it usually was, no swelling and calf feels non-tender, no heat or redness, then maybe it is just tracking and sciatic N but if you think it has significantly changed, I would think it worth checking out.

Hope that this prevarication has been useful....hard to know though without seeing it.

JaneC

Comment

• Originally posted by mryan View Post
                    Hi All

Here is a link to the chart as it was getting terribly hard to view in this screen.

Mr Yan (alias Michael)

Excellent! thanks, it's very readable. you could almost publish this stuff

Comment

• Perfect resolution

Originally posted by mryan View Post
                      Hi All

Mr Yan (alias Michael)

Thanks, Michael. The image on photo bucket is sharp. Thank goodness we have an IT Pro on Team Avulsion.

re: your sore foot sole ... I find spending time in bed puts pressure on my heels. I purchased some fake lamb's wool from a medical supply company on Amazon when I first got hurt. This material is often used to prevent seniors from getting bed sores in convalescent homes. I find the plush material to be much more comfortable than my firm mattress.

Comment

• Check this sucker out

Name:  75b8eec1fda6df861d9241bed14a9c58.jpg
Size:  6.4 KB

If the image works it was taken 10 days post op.
                        No it's not my bum, it's a horizontal incision at the top of my right leg
                        The bumpy bits are the result of sitting and lying on a large padded dressing which was cross crossed
                        Those disappeared shortly after just leaving the scar
                        Talk about scary Mryan check that out!

Comment

• It worked Mryan

Thanks Michael for the uploading instructions for pics
                          Thanks also for the honours list table. I am still fascinated by the use of braces and how these work and why they are needed?
                          It would be great to share a few pics among us, especially pics of braces. Even pics of ourselves would be interesting!

Fortunately these horrendous scars are not seen publicly and for those who are about to have the op let me assure you that within 6 weeks it looks a lot better in fact after 16 weeks its barely noticeable. It looks worse than it is.

Well it's onwards and upwards for me. Got straight into exercises today following JaneC's wake up call
                          Unfortunately as we head into winter the weather is not good for bike rides or hiking so it will be swim time and lots of stretches and strengthening. I hope everyone got that message who are 6 weeks + from the op ( subject to being cleared by surgeon)excercises are soooo boring though!

Off to Europe in a couple of weeks. Doing a lot of walking around the cinque terra in nth Italy then a big bike tour along the Danaube. Away for 2 months....lots and lots of exercise. By the time I am back I will be 6 months post op!
                          Will be tuning into the posts while away though on my trusty iPad that kept me company in those dark days over the first 6 weeks.

No one has re avulsed or had any major disaster. Fingers crossed.
                          I see JaneC has responded to your issue Mryan

Best

harrie

Comment

• Braces and scars

Originally posted by Harrie View Post
                            It would be great to share a few pics among us, especially pics of braces.
                            Harrie - your incision photo is a hum dinger.

BarbieKay and Debbie d - Don't worry. Harrie's experience is not typical. At four weeks my scar is smooth and flat with no puckering. My non-existent career as a bathing suit model has not been compromised.

re braces: I have two. The main brace is a Berg hip immobilizer that ends at the knee. It does not allow me to bend at the waste. It is painful and nearly impossible to sit in this brace. I did not take of photo of mine post-op. Below is a representative image. My ankle was in an ISO sports brace which was customized with a rivet that attached my ankle to my hip girdle with a Velcro strap at a 40 degree angle (I did not have the ankle/shin sling depicted in the image). My ankle was lowered to 15 degrees after 2 weeks and I was allowed full ROM at 3 weeks. Braces are to be worn 24/7 except while showering.

My second appliance is a Vantage knee brace for travel. At 4 weeks it is locked at 70 degrees. Most people only have one brace. I needed two to fly cross country within a month of surgery.

There are two movements types that stretch your hamstring; bending at the waist and straightening the leg. The theory is that limiting one or both of these movements elimates any tension on the hamstring tendon while the attachment is healing. It is a conservative approach. Clearly, there is no uniformity of brace type or ROM setting. The limited movement also causes the leg to atrophy and can cause knee pain. Lots of patients get a great result without a brace. An earlier post indicated a Boston area doctor was studying brace benefits and negative effects.

Wearing a brace is uncomfortable. However, it is full proof. It makes me feel secure and I do not need to use my judgement regarding how far I bend. Starting at 3 weeks post-op my PT was allowed to remove my brace during appointments. My doctor has indicated I will be in a brace for 6 weeks.

My actual brace without me in it is the third image; think one legged Star Wars Imperial Storm Trooper:

Name:  c7296772aaaa4a86adbeece23e19a8e6.jpg
Size:  9.9 KB

Name:  a484f043a481553646261c1152c17734.jpg
Size:  11.0 KB

Name:  6073bdff655f700b06d1fca2fbde0b16.jpg
Size:  12.1 KB

Comment

• Originally posted by kp2020 View Post
                              Awesome!! Happy to hear that. Yes....my injury pain is gone. All gone. And it was pretty severe before the surgery.... in fact, the main reason my husband wanted me to get the repair is because I couldn't stay seated for a car ride (was having to put my hand under me to keep my injury site off the car seat.) Keep smiling, it gets steadily better.
                              kp,
                              I have to tell you....your posts and suggestions have been super helpful. I smiled when I saw this one a couple days ago. It seems like I sat on my hand, one butt cheek on/one butt cheek off a chair, or leaning toward the good leg side forever. Eight hour car ride to a conference a couple days ago and subsequent sitting at the conference reminded me of my old sitting habits. Clearly there is still healing to be done.

A couple days ago you suggested plough pose as a way to help with my SI alignment issues...thank you! After struggling through this morning's 5 min jog/1 min walk I really needed it. I think I've been focusing on my tight glutes and piriformis and have neglected stretching other areas. And I have noticed that I get more and more tight when I try to pick up the pace or extend the length of my "run." Reverse pigeon, IT band stretches, rolling on a foam roller or tennis ball, and massage have helped, but there is still work to be done. Definitely good to read how you and others are progressing with your runs. I had a particularly bad day on Tuesday and was super frustrated after. Tried to talk to friends and felt completely unsupported - I got the proverbial "you should just be happy you can do what you are doing." Thankful to know this group is here, and that others are working to get back to pre-injury training levels. I appreciate all insight!

Comment

• PT before surgery

I also have been going to PT before surgery ... I read somewhere about someone doing this... can't remember who or where, sorry. Lots of squats, including single leg squats...I'm hoping this helps with recovery. I'm told by my PT that I probably won't be back until 7 weeks post op...kind of bummed about that, but since I'm "chronic" they take it slower I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X