Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamstring Avulsion (complete tear from pelvis)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 month update

Hello everybody,

It has been almost 6 months since surgery and I have been discharged from my doc and PT. I have been told to continue with home/gym excercises to continue working on the leg and core muscles. I am confortable in doing that and I have been told how to progress with the hamstring (also can call my pt and doc anytime with questions).

I have no pain in the tendon area and only some disconfort in the muscle when I do too much or try something new I am not ready for (I generally have DOMS). Also, I have no pain when I do my excercises.

However, when I press hard on the muscle with my fingers, I find some spots that are still sore. My doc does not think this is a problem. Is someone also having the same issue? Is this something that will pass with time?

Thank you for your responses

Comment

• Originally posted by alirey View Post
      DebbieD
      How are you doing? I am envious of your brace. I am managing but daunted by the next 4 weeks.
      I am 3 weeks post surgery and doing okay, some days better than others. I am able to lay on back with pillow behind knee and remove the ankle partvofvthe brace which really helps with the muscle spasms. It appears that the larger the retraction the more chance you will have some spasms at times. I take a muscle relaxer at bedtime and that helps. I love the knee scooter...gives you a sense of more freedom. Next week they are going to let me try 50% weight bearing, mostly to go to the shower etc. I did take a shower Monday, and now will do that every other day.

I am just bored out of my skull! Sick of laying around watching tv and reading.

Comment

• Potty problems with brace on and no space in toilet area

HI Alirey, I'm gearing up for surgery finally. My doctor wanted me to do just therapy, but I told her I want to be as close to "normal" as I can be, therefore I want surgery.

My problem too will be the problem of using the toilet. Luckily for me a few years back I had two toilets replaced with a Toto toilet, it's about 3" higher than the standard toilet. It's great, but then I'm thinking about the toilet seat with the cut out and the height of it. Will the additional height of the cut out plus the height of my toilet be too much for me to sit on?

In my bathrooms there are three walls, the back one and two sides and I'm afraid there won't be room for the brace on my leg, crutches or anything else.

She said to slouch down low but I've tried what she demonstrated to me and I'm afraid I'll overshoot the toilet missing it entirely.

She told me I can stand like a man does, but how does one straddle the toilet on one leg and what about a bowel movement, what on earth about that one?

There are devices for women to aid in standing to urinate, one is the Freshette a F.U.D (female uniary device) women in the military in Afghanastan use them as well as campers or people in cold climates, no undressing in the snow. You can see an informational video of a woman soldier talking about it on youtube.com

I don't know where you live, but R.E.I. carries them. I think they're around $14.00. There are many different types out there just google female uniary devices and you'll see, but that still doesn't take care of the other end does it.

My doctor also said straddle the shower. Wear a skirt and no panties, nothing to pull up and down or get wet.

I've read here about knee scooters instead of crutches. I think I looked at youtube.com to see how it's used. It looks easier than crutches.

Since you were in a rehab you probably don't have stairs to worry about. I have no idea how I'm going to get up mine as there's no bedroom or shower on the first floor, everything I need is upstairs!

I'd be interested to know how you solved your problem because soon it's going to be my problem too.

QUOTE=alirey;63588]Hi - I have what I think is the big brace. Knee at 60 degrees, hip at zero. I'm trying to figure out an option for a commode - my bathroom is too small to handle the brace and the angle I need. Currently in a rehab center this is preventing me from going home. Ant ideas?

I'm 10 days post op- hopping around a little bit and feeling stronger.

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

Comment

• Still pain

Originally posted by indyrunner View Post
          As mentioned in a couple of posts back, I aggravated my hammie pretty bad last week after running 4 miles on asphalt (first time on asphalt in 18 months). Probably not the smartest thing to run that far for my first time on asphalt. I called my PT and she didn't think I reinjured it, just a deep strain. Unfortunately, still have pain sitting (first time in months!) and I have not worked out in a week. I walked a little on the treadmill this morning with little pain, but I've been sitting on ice most of the day.

I've been running on a treadmill since 17 weeks and my longer runs (4 miles now) on a track. I guess I should have built up my tolerance to the asphalt. Hoping this pain goes away soon so I can restart my exercise regime. I really felt like I was getting stronger. Of course, if it doesn't get better, back to the doctor I go.

So for those of your recuping..make sure you talk to your PT or doctor about a good cycle of getting back into running outside on the roads so you don't do what I did! It's so frustrating!!!!
          So unfortunately I had to go back to the doctor since the pain didn't subside after a couple weeks. Now after almost 7 weeks of resting my hammie with little to no exercise (had a week where I tried to do light exercises, walk and use the elipitcal), my hammie is still incredibly sore. I can't sit for long, I'm mostly comfortable sitting on ice and driving isn't super comfortable. I see my doctor again next Wednesday to see what's next. It's hard to believe that 2 runs would possibly tear the hammie again. However, I had a partial tear so who knows. I can't even imagine if I have to go through surgery and the recovery again. It's really depressing that 6 months of hard work went down the drain.

Comment

• I just cannot say how much the elevated toilet seat with the injured side cut out makes things so much easier. You hardly have to squat. I am living in a beach condo recooping so I don't have a lot of space but the toilet rails worked good too. Very inexpensive. If anyone wants I can look them up on Amazon to see which ones they are. They hooked onto the toilet. I can also use them when I am getting up from the shower stool in the bath. I use the grabber aparatus alot because lo and behold you drop things and it makes you so mad to have to ask someone to pick things up for you all the time! The knee scooter is the other thing I don't think I can do without now...its kind of fun to scoot around. We even went out to dinner Saturday night with the scooter and I sat at the table ( on one butt cheek). We are going to go out again this weekend too.

At PT there was a guy there who plays football for the Dallas Cowboys and is there for rehab of his shoulder and he told me that he pulled his hamstring 2 years ago and just recovering from a pull is hard too. He was amazed that I was manuevering so well , getting on the PT table, turning from stomach to back etc. I practiced before surgery... I had my son tie my leg up and that helped me so much. One of the tricks that I have learned is that when getting into bed or onto couch..is that your good leg should be beside the bed or couch...look towards top of bed or couch while putting good hip down first and then bad leg goes on top. Looks like a mermaid sitting ( Ha). This is how I approach getting into the car too.

Comment

• Originally posted by indyrunner View Post
              So unfortunately I had to go back to the doctor since the pain didn't subside after a couple weeks. Now after almost 7 weeks of resting my hammie with little to no exercise (had a week where I tried to do light exercises, walk and use the elipitcal), my hammie is still incredibly sore. I can't sit for long, I'm mostly comfortable sitting on ice and driving isn't super comfortable. I see my doctor again next Wednesday to see what's next. It's hard to believe that 2 runs would possibly tear the hammie again. However, I had a partial tear so who knows. I can't even imagine if I have to go through surgery and the recovery again. It's really depressing that 6 months of hard work went down the drain.
              Sorry to hear that. Did you feel and pain/disconfort while running or did the pain came later?
              The only way to know if you have another tear is with an MRI.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Silvia

Comment

• Hi Debbie, I'm interested in anything/help you can share, toilet with side cut out, toilet rails, scooter, where to buy rent.

Good idea about practicing, thanks for the tips on that one.

Originally posted by Debbie d View Post
                I just cannot say how much the elevated toilet seat with the injured side cut out makes things so much easier. You hardly have to squat. I am living in a beach condo recooping so I don't have a lot of space but the toilet rails worked good too. Very inexpensive. If anyone wants I can look them up on Amazon to see which ones they are. They hooked onto the toilet. I can also use them when I am getting up from the shower stool in the bath. I use the grabber aparatus alot because lo and behold you drop things and it makes you so mad to have to ask someone to pick things up for you all the time! The knee scooter is the other thing I don't think I can do without now...its kind of fun to scoot around. We even went out to dinner Saturday night with the scooter and I sat at the table ( on one butt cheek). We are going to go out again this weekend too.

At PT there was a guy there who plays football for the Dallas Cowboys and is there for rehab of his shoulder and he told me that he pulled his hamstring 2 years ago and just recovering from a pull is hard too. He was amazed that I was manuevering so well , getting on the PT table, turning from stomach to back etc. I practiced before surgery... I had my son tie my leg up and that helped me so much. One of the tricks that I have learned is that when getting into bed or onto couch..is that your good leg should be beside the bed or couch...look towards top of bed or couch while putting good hip down first and then bad leg goes on top. Looks like a mermaid sitting ( Ha). This is how I approach getting into the car too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silvie View Post
                  Sorry to hear that. Did you feel and pain/disconfort while running or did the pain came later?
                  The only way to know if you have another tear is with an MRI.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Silvia
                  The pain came later. I would "feel it" a bit but nothing unusual. My doctor and PT said they wouldn't have told me to do anything differently considering how well I was doing. I guess it's just one of those things. Will keep you posted.

Comment

The pain came later. I would "feel it" a bit but nothing unusual. My doctor and PT said they wouldn't have told me to do anything differently considering how well I was doing. I guess it's just one of those things. Will keep you posted.
                    Can't imagine how you are feeling physically and emotionally. Seems like the only way to really know your status is an MRI. Is one scheduled?

Has your doc tried strong anti-inflamatories? I am on Mobic and about to start my 2nd course of Predinsone for lingering bursa inflammation that makes sitting in a normal chair or on hard surface painful at 16 weeks. The first round of Predinsone helped which was encouraging but some of the improvement faded a few days after the last dose. At least I know it is inflammation vs. something more structural.

Good luck.

Comment

• Indyrunner...

Can you or your Physio or Dr feel a deficit in the muscle?? Was there any swelling or bruising?? It is hard to imagine that it could simply "fall off" without something similar to original pain and inflammatory response. Is there any weakness when you try to contract against resistance? And where exactly is the pain? It does sound worrying but more info would help to work out possible causes....

Hoping for the best.

JaneC

Comment

• Originally posted by New Year's Tripper View Post
                        Can't imagine how you are feeling physically and emotionally. Seems like the only way to really know your status is an MRI. Is one scheduled?

Has your doc tried strong anti-inflamatories? I am on Mobic and about to start my 2nd course of Predinsone for lingering bursa inflammation that makes sitting in a normal chair or on hard surface painful at 16 weeks. The first round of Predinsone helped which was encouraging but some of the improvement faded a few days after the last dose. At least I know it is inflammation vs. something more structural.

Good luck.
                        I am 5 weeks post surgery today and have one more week with the brace. I am still having pain at the point of incision. As someone said on this forum - it is like sitting on a golf ball. It feels like a huge golf ball to me. My daughter asked the other day - "dad should you really be in this kind of pain so long after surgery."

Can anyone comment on how long until I don't feel this pain when I sit? Any ideas to make it go away? I think having the brace off in 5 days will help.

Having this brace on has been like being in traction. My brace is at 30 degrees, but it causes alot of aches and pains in other parts of my leg that were NOT injured.

thanks for the input. Rob from Michigan

Comment

• Items!

Originally posted by fitandwell View Post
                          Hi Debbie, I'm interested in anything/help you can share, toilet with side cut out, toilet rails, scooter, where to buy rent.

Good idea about practicing, thanks for the tips on that one.
                          I purchased on amazon, The adjustable toilet seat frame with adjustable rails, The tallette left side cut out standard toilet seat, The adjustable shower chair, and a hand held shower head. I ordered a gel seat pad but sent that back...too heavy to move around and not comfortable.

The practicing thing really helped me to see how it may be to move around and maneuver the car, bed, couch etc.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Debbie

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob_Michigan View Post
                            I am 5 weeks post surgery today and have one more week with the brace. I am still having pain at the point of incision. As someone said on this forum - it is like sitting on a golf ball. It feels like a huge golf ball to me. My daughter asked the other day - "dad should you really be in this kind of pain so long after surgery."

Can anyone comment on how long until I don't feel this pain when I sit? Any ideas to make it go away? I think having the brace off in 5 days will help.

Having this brace on has been like being in traction. My brace is at 30 degrees, but it causes alot of aches and pains in other parts of my leg that were NOT injured.

thanks for the input. Rob from Michigan
                            Hi Rob,
                            I never felt that way. I wasn't in the same brace so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I also sat on ice. All.The.Time during recovery. It was a god-send to have those ice packs (as it is now unfortunately). Hopefully one of the others that had a similar brace can shed some light.

Good Luck!

Comment

• Thanks for the questions and concern!

NYT - yes emotionally and physically I'm on a rollercoaster. If I think about going through recovery again too much, I get really depressed, so I try not too until we've ruled everything out. My doc hasn't prescribed anything strong yet, but that could be the next course of action. I'm also hoping he'll schedule another MRI next week when I see him, just for peace of mind.

Jane C - no bruising and no deficit of the muscle, which is why he ruled out another tear when I saw him 5 weeks ago. However, my original injury occurred over time (10 years) and then a final "pop" before I stopped all exercise in May 2012. I only had a partial tear (5cm) and there was no bruising or swelling then either. Although he did see some deficit in the muscle at that time. That is why I'm a bit concerned that I'm going through the "slow tear" again. Could be completely out of the question but my head is jumping all over with ideas! The pain is exactly what I had prior to surgery...right on the bone in the incision area. Can't sit for very long (some days a couple of hours with moderate pain - like today; other days where once I sat off and on for a few hours, I have to move to the sofa - like yesterday). Some days the pain is noticeable when I'm laying flat or standing and other days, not so much. Unfortunately, it feels just like it did prior to my surgery :-(.

Sadly, I had no pain sitting after about 3 months. It was a beautiful thing as I had been living with off and on pain sitting for quite a while prior to the surgery. Hard to believe it's there again!

I'll let everyone know what the doctor's next steps are.

Comment

Thanks for the questions and concern!

NYT - yes emotionally and physically I'm on a rollercoaster. If I think about going through recovery again too much, I get really depressed, so I try not too until we've ruled everything out. My doc hasn't prescribed anything strong yet, but that could be the next course of action. I'm also hoping he'll schedule another MRI next week when I see him, just for peace of mind.

Jane C - no bruising and no deficit of the muscle, which is why he ruled out another tear when I saw him 5 weeks ago. However, my original injury occurred over time (10 years) and then a final "pop" before I stopped all exercise in May 2012. I only had a partial tear (5cm) and there was no bruising or swelling then either. Although he did see some deficit in the muscle at that time. That is why I'm a bit concerned that I'm going through the "slow tear" again. Could be completely out of the question but my head is jumping all over with ideas! The pain is exactly what I had prior to surgery...right on the bone in the incision area. Can't sit for very long (some days a couple of hours with moderate pain - like today; other days where once I sat off and on for a few hours, I have to move to the sofa - like yesterday). Some days the pain is noticeable when I'm laying flat or standing and other days, not so much. Unfortunately, it feels just like it did prior to my surgery :-(.

Sadly, I had no pain sitting after about 3 months. It was a beautiful thing as I had been living with off and on pain sitting for quite a while prior to the surgery. Hard to believe it's there again!

I'll let everyone know what the doctor's next steps are.
                                I so feel for you! I am now recovering from surgery number 2. I had surgery for a partial tear in December of 2011. Unfortunatelly PT was done too aggressively and at 3 months after surgery I felt a rip in my muscle during stretching and I kew what had just happened. My doc and PT did not believe me but I knew it was a tear because my si joints would hurt again due to hip instability. Finally a follow up MRI showed that I was right. But that was much early in the recovery process when the tendon was still healing.

I decided to have a second surgery to stabilize the si joints. I really could not leave with si joint pain. I am now 6 months after surgery and so far I have had no problems and my doc told me that unless I do something really stupid the muscle will stay attached. Hopefully you have just some strain and not a tear. Only the MRI can tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X