ongoing shoulder problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ongoing shoulder problems

I first dislocated my right shoulder about 10 years ago, playing Aussie Rules. After 3 subsequent dislocations (1 year later) I had an arthroscope which I believe used dissolving screws to put back into place. This lasted about 4 years until another dislocation occured. In the 5 years since then the shoulder has become weaker and dislocations have occured more frequently, mainly playing football!
    This last weekend while playing Cricket I managed a new first and dislocated both shoulders while diving. This is my first dislocation on my left shoulder.
    I am interested if people think I should get both shoulders operated on or try to strengthen without operation. I no longer play high contact sports such as football, but still enjoy cricket, golf and triathlons.

Hey how u doin,

Like u i hav and do hav major shoulder problems however I am yet to dislocate both so congratulations on that!

I did my left shoulder playing rugby in 2002, then it came out about 8 more times before I decided to get a full shoulder reco. It was good after the reco for a year and a half before an unfortunate Touch football tag resulted in the operated shoulder coming out again!!! i was shattered, it cas come out once more since then but with persistance and be being careful I feel as though I can manage it at the moment. I play cricket at a fairly high standard and even though I am a keeper i feel confident with it. So what i would suggest to u..

Get ur bad shoulder reconstructed. U say ur not playing contact sport anymore so u should be fine after that. If it comes out again u would be unlucky but u can still manage as long as ur not playing footy.

With ur other shoulder just rehab it, and be careful! they say 90% of shoulders that come out once will come out again so the odds r that a few years down the track. having two recons at once would mean u may starve to death! and we dont want that

email me at matty_taylor1@hotmail.com if u have any more questions.

Good luck

Comment

Re-dislocation rate is VERY high in a non-reconstructed shoulder on return to contact sports. I have found that after early reconstruction with a top surgeon (i.e. before 2-3 disclocations) the recurrence rate is <=10%. However, if you wait until 5+ disclocations before you get your reco, the success rate is a lot less (?50/50 only).

Arthroscopic reco success is slightly less than open but recovery is quicker.
      The staff of injury update are not responsible for views of other users posted in this forum.

Comment

Working...
      X