Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Smile wrist tenosynovitis - recovery period?

Hi everyone,
    I sustained an over use injury in my left wrist. It's worse when I sit in front of my computer so I have now resorted to using voice activated software. In all honesty I'm not surprised that it has happened since I had a bad right shoulder for many years.

It's been diagnosed as tenosynovitis. I'm getting osteo treatment and do some trigger point releasing to manage it but but I'd appreciate ideas on how long it will take to recover and if it's worth looking into getting some scans done. It's been about 2 months since I started to get pain and I'm hesistant to wait too long.

Appreciate any advice on offer.
    thanks

hi angie,

i've limited experience with a similar complaint, that is tenosynovitis of the wrist brought on due to a combination of bad positioning of my arms + excessive typing several years ago while i was completing a thesis. rest worked well for me but the problem persisted as every time my symptoms started improving i got back to typing (rush to finish thesis) and all my progress vanished. i'd highly recommend a long period of rest, but not many of us are able do achieve this adequately.

ultimately i ended up getting a cortisone injection into the tendon sheath - great results, immediate relief and nothing has recurred since. that said, i'm careful how i position my hands/arms while typing now and tend to take regular breaks from the desk, which is a good idea regardless of any acute injury.

if you're in melbourne i can recommend a few different providers for injection therapy, otherwise speak with your GP and they may recommend someone local to you. some may recommend you talk to a sports physician but this is unnecessary as general practitioners actually handle a higher volume of cases such as this as a rule anyhow and typically have a fair bit of experience referring for soft tissue injections. obviously these injections are performed under imaging guidance, so typically the person doing the injecting will be a musculoskeletal/interventional radiologist.

best of luck!

Hi there,
    Thanks for your advice. I'm considering a cortisone injection into the sheath but my injury is still manageable. Rest does help a great deal but I expect that it will get better with regular massage/osteo treatment and less typing. I'm now using voice activated software which is helping reduce the typing. I have had rsi in my right wrist which took 18 months to heal.