So I'm posting here in hopes of advice/support/ or if anyone has had a similar injury.
Spring of 2011 I began to have pain under the ball of my foot but could not see my doctor until end of June 2011 because I was away at school. I went to doctor then and the x-rays showed what may have been a small chip but were pretty much inconclusive. They told me I could come for a cortisone injection anytime I was home from school. I decided to wait it out but the pain got worse, I'm a dancer & runner and could hardly do either without having unbearable pain. In February 2012 I got a cortisone injection which failed. When I went back early March 2012 x-rays were taken and it turns out my fibular sesamoid is fractured as well as slightly out of place. I have been in a walking boot which was modified to take pressure off fracture site for eight weeks and no healing has taken place so far. I just received the exogen 4000 bone stim last friday so it is probably too early to tell if it is working. I am still having a lot of pain most of the day. My question is has it been too long for a bone stim to even work anymore? Has anyone had a bone stimulator for this injury that has worked? How can you tell it is working? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have a fractured left fibular sesamoid with AVN. The first MRI was in July of 2012, after being misdiagnosed for 6 months with only sesamoiditis. I had already been spica taping, had my orthotics adjusted and stopped all high impact activities since March of 2012. I went into a cam boot with crutches in August, got 2 PRP injections in August and October with no relief and in November went to total non-weight bearing on crutches 100%. I also added an Exogen bone growth stimulator in November 20 min/twice a day. My latest MRI last week shows no improvement- AVN of the posterior 2/3's. I don't know what the next right thing is. My doctor (dual certified foot/ankle-knee) says to now get off the crutches and just start walking around in my sneakers.
It hurts! I don't care if I can dance again, I just want to get better and walk with out pain.
Is a bone graft a good idea at this point, or should I wait it out and just continue with the Exogen for 9 months to a year before doing anything? I'm not considering removal.