Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not losing weight.

Started trying to lose weight at the start of december. Since then, I have clearly not eaten as much, or as bad, and have done alot more exercise. However I have only lost 1kg. My stomach has gone down and I am more fit, but how could I only lose 1kg? Could it be there is something stopping me from losing that weight? Some sort of medical condition or something along those lines? Because I have no clue how I could only lose 1kg doing all that I have done!

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by bombermad09
    Started trying to lose weight at the start of december. Since then, I have clearly not eaten as much, or as bad, and have done alot more exercise. However I have only lost 1kg. My stomach has gone down and I am more fit, but how could I only lose 1kg? Could it be there is something stopping me from losing that weight? Some sort of medical condition or something along those lines? Because I have no clue how I could only lose 1kg doing all that I have done!
    How long did you take to put the weight on in the first place? Sometimes you just have to continue to do the right things (basically expend - through exercise - more calories than you consume) and be patient. I'm guessing that you didn't put the extra weight on "overnight", you won't lose it "overnight" either. Step by step.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    How long did you take to put the weight on in the first place? Sometimes you just have to continue to do the right things (basically expend - through exercise - more calories than you consume) and be patient. I'm guessing that you didn't put the extra weight on "overnight", you won't lose it "overnight" either. Step by step.

P.S. It could also be that you have lost fat but gained more muscle through the extra exercise. Because muscle weighs more than fat, if you are only judging your improvements by jumping on the scales then you might not see much "change" when in fact your body may have changed significantly for the better. The fact that your "stomach appears to have gone down" suggests that this may be the case.

When trying to judge improvements use a range of measures not just the scales. See if you can get your percent body fat and girths measured (at the local gym) as well, look in the mirror .... a combination of these measures will give you a better idea of whether you are making any progress towards a healthier you!

The weight wasnt really gained over a period of time. It is moreso cumulative weight gain.

P.S. It could also be that you have lost fat but gained more muscle through the extra exercise. Because muscle weighs more than fat, if you are only judging your improvements by jumping on the scales then you might not see much "change" when in fact your body may have changed significantly for the better. The fact that your "stomach appears to have gone down" suggests that this may be the case..
    Possible, only thing is, I have been doing alot of exercise bike riding, and that is more cardiovascular than muscle.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by bombermad09
    The weight wasnt really gained over a period of time. It is moreso cumulative weight gain.

Possible, only thing is, I have been doing alot of exercise bike riding, and that is more cardiovascular than muscle.
    It actually provides both and is a good choice of exercise for many people (I am an avid cyclist), but especially if you have a significant amount of weight to lose as it is a "weight supported" or "low impact" activity (unless you crash into something or vice versa on a conventional bike!!?) thus minimising the risk of impact injuries.

Generally it's important not to get too hung up on your weight per se and instead consider your overall body composition (fat vs muscle mass)

I am just returning to road cycling after a long period off the road due to injury. (Sessions dropped from 2hours plus on the road to just over an hour on the wind trainer) I am hoping that the increase in training activity together with a wise eating plan will help me shed the 5 extra kilos that I've "acquired" over the last 15 months!!

For losing weight first you have to control your mind. You only have to think that, you want to reduce your weight. Secondly you have to do the exercise regularly and take the diet food in your meal. In the morning drink lemon water,it will help you.

You may have a fatty liver, as this can have a dramatic affect on weight loss and said to affect a large percentage of the population.

My first question is, how much do you weigh? and how much do you want to lose? What body type are you?
    If you are trying to lose fat, you need to exercise within the 'fat-burning/aerobic' zone, which can be measured by your max HR, so exercising at an intensity which will maintain your HR at 60-70% of you Max HR. i.e. if you Max HR is 200bpm, then exercise at an intensity that you can maintain your HR at 120-140bpm. This will ensure that you are utilizing fat as a fuel source, rather than glycogen.

For losing weight regular exercise and proper diet nutrition are important. For losing weight walk and running are important exercises. In diet fruits and vegetables are good to eat because these food are best diet food.

There are two major components that are required to achieve weight loss goal. These include nutritious diet and proper workout plan. Daily working on these core issues could really help you to reduce your extra body fats and get a desired body.