Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Unhappy What would You do? Ongoing back issues.

December 2007 I had a slip that resulted in a central disc bulge at L5/S1 that initially resulted in intense right leg pain and inability to move. This was diagnosed with the aid of an MRI. Got better with conservative treatment[physio]and was pain free by March 2008.

Had a fall from back of a truck in April 2008 that resulted in ankle damage requiring open stabilization, but initally no real back problems. In June 2009 back issues flared up again with pain this time on the left, and starting from near the L5/S1 joint all the way to the foot[big toe]at first. MRI again ordered, showed no significant changes from MRI of December 2007. Pain has reduced from the whole leg to mainly no further than the back of the knee. In March 2010 I had left knee surgery to remove torn medial meniscus, but pain at back of knee persisted, sometimes running down into calf on outside of left leg.

My neurosurgeon referred me for a nerve conductive test[painful], all I was told was results are OK. On my last visit to the neurosurgeon he said there was nothing he could do surgically and referred me to a pain management therapist. I had mentioned what I had read about 'piriformis syndrome' since I felt that was where the pain was at it's worst, particularly when sitting. The neurosurgeon said piriformis problems were hard to diagnose and basically that was that. It is now almost July 2010, the pain 'in the butt' is still there bad as ever, worse when sitting but never really goes away completely.

I had laproscopic bilateral inguinal hernia repair ten days ago, and for the first two days after the op my 'butt pain' was gone! I quizzed my treating GP and he said some of the analgesics used can have lasting effects. After four days the butt pain was back, as bad as ever.

On my first consult with the pain management therapist he advised me to up my regular pain meds up until the hernia repair, the resume the increased pain med doses plus a new night time only med for ten days to see how I cope. I'm due to start the new pain meds on Sunday the 27th June. I see the pain management therapist again on the 21st July when he will review how I went with the increased medication and see where we go from here.

To add insult to injury, I had a stroke on 27th December 2009[stress?]and have since been suspended from my job[truck driver]because my license was cancelled pending an occupational therapist's assessment..

At time of writing, I have the butt pain still persisting into the back of the left knee, groin pain on the right that runs to the front of the thigh from the hernia surgery, left ankle pain ongoing since the surgery in 2009 with associated instability. doesn't matter if I sit, stand, walk, lie on my back, side or stomach it +_)(*& hurts somewhere! What are the implications of long term pain medication use? I'm almost at my wits end

If you haven't already I would recommend going back to your physiotherapist for assessment, an opinion regarding your ongoing management and treatment (especially considering this helped previously).

Good luck with recovery,
    PhysioAdvisor

www.PhysioAdvisor.com

Yes, I've spoken to my treating Physio. I've also been referred for an assessment by a Psychologist by my pain management Therapist. At this stage pain relief meds are helping, but I worry about long term effects and how they effect my moods. People around me have actually commented on it.
    Cheers William.