Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Page 43 of 315 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Can anyone attach some pics of their injuries. I wish I had taken a few before and after.

Legend

Anje - I think protein is a very good idea if your body says so. I've had quite a lot of meat cravings while in plaster, although interestingly now (presumably) that after 7 weeks the main healing process has finished I'm feeling much less carnivorous.

A good steak is the answer to many a problem, anyway, I find.

DavidG1 - sorry about the 1970's rocker reference, mate! I thought you said somewhere you were middle aged?

Default Hydrotherapy

One thing I forgot, when you get in the pool, make sure you can get out.

Those pool steps can be awkward to use

Legend

I had the same problem when I had a bath with the cast on. I thought everything would be ok if I rested the cast on the taps to keep it clear of the water. However, from this position there was no escape when the time came to get out. Eventually I had to let the water out while I was still (trapped) in the bath and use a towel to protect the cast from the dregs. That was the only bath I took while in a cast, but I celebrated by taking one as soon as the thing was off.

Unhappy Ruptured Achillies Tendon Rapair

Hey all, I ruptured my achillies tendon in Feb. of 2007 and am scheduled for surgery on Sept. 4, 2007. I am 56 years old and am not real active but I do walk a lot. This thing has just about driven me crazy and I am scared to death of the surgery. I work on the second floor and am having to wear a brace up to my knee to keep me stable. I cannot beleive how unstable you are after this kind of an injury. I have to take the steps one at a time and cannot come down them hardly at all without feeling scared I am going to fall. I find myself weaving when I try to stand still with both feet on the floor. I went to the emergency room the day after I ruptured and the PA saw me in the waiting room and sent me on my merry way telling me that I have sprained my ankle. I knew it was much more because I could not stand on my toes and I was weak when I stood. Please help guide me through this surgery and assure me I am not the only one that was scared. Am I just being silly??

David,

Be prepared in 2 1/2 weeks to be replastered, your consultant may assess it and say another plaster for so many weeks.

Took a pic. but cannot reduce photo enough to post. Not very interesting just a leg in plaster to knee in black and blue stripes, (Inter Milan) colours.

Hi Nancy

That seems a long time to wait for surgery. Is it a full or partial rupture? If partial I would of thought it would be healing on it's own by now, but there are many variants on this injury.

What country do you live in.

Anje

Legend

Nancy
    I was terrified too - I freely admit that. You aren't the only one. It was my first time in a hospital (for any length of time), first time under general etc. Petrified. But you do it because you have too and you will get through it as well. The day comes and goes very quickly....and then you have to deal with the aftermath which, sadly, is perhaps tougher than the op. The op is a routine one for the surgeons, that they do day in, day out.
    Don't worry.

A support network, partner, family etc is very helpful and comforting. See my seperate thread 'Misdiagnosis' on this forum - similar type story to you. Anje is right - 7 months is a long time between diagnosis and op. Is this a typo?

But you'll get through it and before you know it, you'll be doing physio and on the road to recovery....so stay positive.

Ami

Legend

Anje
    If I'd known plasters came in football colours I'd have been very happy. Man U red perhaps? Was Inter Milan a purposely chosen cast colour???

Ami

Legend

Hi Nancy B, welcome. Re the surgery thing, you don't have to have a general anaesthetic, you can opt to stay conscious throughout the procedure. That's what I did, and they made absolutely sure i would feel no pain. It was actually a very pleasant morning! I am not a surgeon but it seems to be a pretty standard thing they do, doesn't involve much trauma. I was given a prescription for lots of paracetamol in case of pain but actually when they took the drip away after about a day after the op there was no onset of pain anyway. much worse is the inconvenience - but if your injury happened in February you're already well used to all that!