Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Page 51 of 315 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    Legend

David G
    What's the MSN group site you refer too: can you give me a link?
    Thanks
    Ami

Vermorel - sorry to hear about that. Nice to see someone else from NJ on this forum though.

I can totally understand how that happens. I know as soon as I start to feel good, I'm going to have to try not to fall into the trap of "I'm healed". It can take a good bit of time to get back to something resembling full strength, even though it feels pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by David G1
    MikNBR: Glad you are feeling better. I was watching Rocky II yesterday and he's in a squat position, on his toes, bouncing up and down with a huge log across his shoulders. eeek!

Vermoel: Thats terrible news: re rupture when you were feeling so psitive.It's a swine of an injury as if happening once is not bad enough!!!!!!!

Definately get a cast protector, I bought a 'Limbo' brand excellent so far (one week). One of my concerns was not being able to have a shower and it works as it says on the box. Will be testing it in the pool in the next day or two.
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

David G1: The product I referenced replaces the cotton gauze under the fiberglass with a waterproof / breathable membrane. You can shower, swim, etc with it on?..no plastic bag necessary( almost seems too good to be true ). Looks like you can run water down the cast whenever you want. I think this would be great to have on those hot days when your foot swells?..just bust out the hose and let er soak in the cold water.

AMIS: sorry I remember now ( why the website link) what could have been if your misdiagnosis had come later... those photos ugh...he's a brave man

Hey Imran D1

Its been a while since I have been on this. I am 15 weeks post-op (about where you are I think). I am in regular shoes now, no cane but I still have a pronounced limp and my heel gets sore after a day on my feet and I still get some swelling on some days. Do you get this? I am not complaining mind you because being able to walk now is awesome.

Cheers, Steve

Vermorel, so sorry to hear of your bad news. At least you know what to expect this time around, and the surgeon is sure to do a very strong repair.

As to "why us" and why not some others - I read a paper that suggested that most people with a ruptured AT had some degree of degeneration present.

http://ajsm.highwire.org/cgi/content/abstract/28/6/857

My surgeon said there was a fair degree of degeneration present in my tendon, his exact words were that it was "mushy". Nice. He also said I am at risk to rupture the other one.

Antibiotic use has been linked to tendon degeneration too. If you go to Google, and then to the Google page "Google Scholar" and search for achilles tendon rupture, you'll find tons of medical journal articles. Interesting, scary.

Legend

One doctor told me predisposal to ruptures can be caused by many reasons: diet, genetics, age, medical conditions etc. She told me it can go jumping out of bed! That would be a devastating way for it to happen methinks...if there could be anything such as a good way.

Ami

Hi guys, I' m back from my 4 weeks trip!

I am now in 6 weeks + 4days post op.I feel good & almost fit. I have an appointment with my surgeon today, probably to get rid of the crutches!its actually my second follow up after the surgery.I feel stronger & did some exercises to regenerate my calf size & power!no pain at all during this period. had some injection for my long distance flight!glad to see you guys again.& will let you after my Dr. visit.

Cheers Reza,

Quote Originally Posted by David G1
    That little post about the late repair is encouraging to me since my rupture happened in February and it will be September 4 for my surgery. I am 56 and am not athletic which has me worried. I am going for it because I think I am too young to go with this annoyance. I get exhauseted just walking across the room. I have been reading so many of you ahd your repair soon after the injury. I just need reassurance I am doing the right thing.